dismiss

The Beach House

by James Patterson, Peter De Jonge

When New York law student Jack Mullen learns that his brother has drowned, he knows it can't be an accident . . . Jack Mullen is in law school in New York City when the shocking news comes that his brother Peter has drowned in the ocean off East Hampton. Jack knows his brother and knows this couldn't be an accident; someone must have wanted his brother dead. But the powers that be say otherwise. As Jack tries to uncover details of his brothers last night, he confronts a barricade of lawyers, police, and paid protectors who separate the multibillionaire summer residents from local workers like Peter. Soon he discovers that Peter wasn't just parking cars at the summer parties of the rich. He was making serious money satisfying the sexual needs of the richest women and men in town. The Beach House reveals the secret lives of celebrities in a breathtaking drama of revenge-with a finale so shocking that only James Patterson could have written it.… (more)

English (46)  Tagalog (1)  All languages (47)
I used to read quite a bit of James Patterson years ago but it's been a while since I read one of his books. The Beach House was a good one to choose as it reminded me of the amount of intrigue and suspense that James Patterson manages to get into his books. With short, punchy chapters - most chapters only 2 or 3 pages long, you constantly promise yourself 'just one more chapter' until suddenly the book is finished and you find that you've read it in one sitting.

Jack Mullen is a law student who returns home when his 21 year old brother, Peter, is found dead in suspicious circumstances. The inquest rules accidental death or suicide but with all of the witnesses having been threatened or bought, Jack knows that isn't the true story of Peter's death. As Jack starts to look into Peter's life, it all leads to billionaire Barry Neubauer's annual party at his beach house in The Hamptons. Jack and his friends have a plan to get justice for Peter and to manoeuvre Barry Neubauer into a position that his money can't buy him out of.

The Beach House is such a quick read as it is so addictive that you can't put it down once you pick it up. Not simply a battle of good versus evil (I spotted the Empire Strikes Back reference) but more a reassurance that money can't buy you everything. You might be able to buy the law but you can't buy the truth, I said as I fist bumped the air.

I absolutely loved The Beach House; it firmly reminded me why James Patterson is a bestselling author and with the addition of Peter De Jonge, he has written an outstanding, fast-paced, unique legal thriller. ( )
  Michelle.Ryles | Mar 9, 2020 |
I loved this book a lot. ( )
  ClairePoussard | Aug 8, 2019 |

This book was about a man who wants to avenge his brother's death. He is sure it was a murder, but the people who did it have a lot of money (this story takes place in the Hamptons) and a lot of ways to cover it up.

The book was fairly good......for awhile. A lot happened in the beginning that made me want to keep reading. But then it started to lose me about 3/4 of the way through. It took a weird turn, and I did a lot of eye rolling.

There are better James Patterson books out there. This is a really, really easy read, so if you are bored on a beach in the summer, pick it up at a library. Otherwise - just pass.

JenMat | Jan 10, 2019 |
Let me preface this by saying that as exalted an author James Patterson is, his books just are not for me. My husband- yes, and he is the one who suggested i give this one a whirl. Fast paced and full of hold -your-breath moments BEACH HOUSE is an attention grabber! The loyalty of brothers.....the adoration and acceptance of one another and one hell of a bizarre murder. Proof that the acquisition of money doesn't make any single person better than another. This book is full of suspicions , friendships, loyalties and manipulations! How far would YOU go to delve into the actual truth of a loved ones death????? ( )
  linda.marsheells | Sep 2, 2018 |
I have to say that this book is not all that memorable since it took me about 270 pages to realize that I had already read this book. I enjoyed it more than "The Quickie" that I just finished because Patterson spent a little bit of time developing the main characters. I did like the last part of the story where the central characters kidnap the rich and famous in order to hold a "public" trial. It is a clever idea although I doubt we would ever see anything like it in real life. ( )
  msaucier818 | Apr 9, 2018 |

James Pattersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
De Jonge, Petermain authorall editionsconfirmed
Deze auteur is een fenomeen, een held en een klassiek voorbeeld van een schrijver die precies weet wat zijn publiek van hem verwacht. En het vervolgens iedere keer weer op hun wenken weet te bedienen.
For Pete & Chuck ~ P. de J.

For Jack, the big boy ~ J. P.
It's like dancing sitting down.

Jack Mullen is a driven student of the law. His brother Peter is a servant of the rich, parking the cars of the Hamptons' elite -- and perhaps satisfying their more intimate needs as well. Then Peter's body is found on the beach. Jack knows the drowning was no accident, but someone's unlimited power and money have bought the cops, the judges, the system. Now Jack is learning a lesson in justice he never got in law school...and his astonishing plan to beat the billionaires will have you reeling -- and cheering -- to the very last page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,680,631 books! | Top bar: Always visible