1st to Die by James Patterson

Title:1st to Die
Authors:James Patterson
Info:Little Brown and Company, Unknown Binding
Rating:**

1st To Die by James Patterson (2001)

English (132)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (138)
I enjoyed the story and the nice twist although the twist in the twist seemed too much and obvious to see coming but the final twist bumped up gave it an extra 1/2 star. Nice!

I didn't care for the narrator. She sounded too harsh and gave nearly all the characters a very gruff, hard edge. Some aspects of her reading were very good but she could have softened the tones and voices in many places. ( )
  amcheri | Aug 22, 2016 |
It is a long time since I read a James Patterson book of any description. I should not have left it so long! Here is a murder / thriller with enough twists and turns to confuse many a snake.
First of all I have to say that I was impressed by the way in which the author was able to concentrate the reader into the minds of the four members of the Women’s Murder Club, particularly that of Homicide Inspector Lindsay Boxer of the San Francisco Police. She is faced with her own personal tragedy as well as the gruesome murder of a newly wed couple, followed by two others in other cities of similar couples.
There are clues and Boxer, along with Chris Raleigh, and the Murder Club members, begin to tease them out. The clues are very clever and lead towards a leading celebrity figure, whom they eventually arrest. But it all seems too straightforward and indeed it is. First I thought it definitely was the celebrity and that he was going to try and wriggle off the hook, but then other factors came into play and my attention turned towards another who featured highly in the book. However, I did feel that was going to turn out to be a little too straightforward too, and was not too surprised that I was wrong, but I was taken aback by the final developments.
Skilfully plotted, interesting characters, and an almost satisfying ending (you will have to read the book for yourself to see what I mean.) Highly recommended, read in less than three days, which is quite remarkable for me!
  Alan1946 | Jun 25, 2016 |
Join the newly formed Women's Murder Club and the join in on their first breath taking case to hunt down a killer who targets newly weds. ( )
  Emery_Demers | Jun 19, 2016 |
Review:1st To Die by James Patterson. The first book of the, “Women’s Murder Club Series”. Lindsay Boxer is the homicide inspector who is determined to unravel the mysteries of the bride and groom killings which took place within thirty-six hours of their marriages. Not just one couple but others to follow. Patterson kept the drama, suspense, and emotions throughout the book highly organized to a twisting, entertaining crime thriller.

To complete the women’s murder club was Clair, medical examiner, Jill, an assistant D.A., and Cindy, a crime reporter. These women were only known as an investigating group behind the scenes of their regular daily jobs. At first they were going around in circles with their conclusions to who the terrifying killer was. They attempted to keep the San Francisco police department headed in the direction and lead them to the one they suspected. Their conviction was placed upon an Author who wrote the murders of a serial killer which, never got published.

They had all the solid evidence they needed to arrest the person who they determined was the killer. But, was he the killer or set-up to take the rap. He even could have been a mastermind of sorts. Then at the last moment the story took a turn in another direction. Two women had assumed position as suspects. Either one could be the killer. One was his ex-wife and the other was his recent wife. To top it off, they were all friends. Could we have one, two, or three murderer’s. Who will bring this mystery to an end?

Read the book. I recommend this book as one of Patterson’s better written books. I loved the ending……
  Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
From Amazon:

Four women-four friends-share a determination to stop a killer who has been stalking newlyweds in San Francisco. Each one holds a piece of the puzzle: Lindsay Boxer is a homicide inspector in the San Francisco Police Department, Claire Washburn is a medical examiner, Jill Bernhardt is an assistant D.A., and Cindy Thomas just started working the crime desk of the San Francisco Chronicle.

But the usual procedures aren't bringing them any closer to stopping the killings. So these women form a Women's Murder Club to collaborate outside the box and pursue the case by sidestepping their bosses and giving one another a hand. The four women develop intense bonds as they pursue a killer whose crimes have stunned an entire city. Working together, they track down the most terrifying and unexpected killer they have ever encountered-before a shocking conclusion in which everything they knew turns out to be devastatingly wrong.

My Thoughts:

Do I think this is Patterson's best effort? No. Do I think this is the best book of the year? No. Did I enjoy reading this novel? Absolutely! This is a fast page-turner with plenty of Patterson's twists and turns as well as his short chapters from different points of view. Patterson once again creates an insanely crafty villain, and the novel has a couple of very unique twists. This is a very fast-paced read perfect for a lazy weekend or a rainy night. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
It is an unusually warm night in July. but I'm shivering badly as I stand on the substantial gray stone terrace outside my apartment.
Please do not combine the abridged audiobook ISBNs 1594830916 and 1586210572 with this full-length novel since they are not the same work. Thanks.

You're about to begin James Patterson's most exciting thriller yet. In San Francisco newlyweds are being stalked--and slaughtered. Enter four unforgettable women, all friends...Lindsay, a homicide inspector in the city's police department...Claire, a medical examiner...Jill, an assistant D.A....and Cindy, a reporter who has just started working the crime desk of the San Francisco Chronicle. Joining forces, pooling their talents, courage, and brains, they have one goal. To find, trap, and outwit the most diabolical and terrifying killer ever imagined.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446696617, Paperback)

The Women's Murder Club pits four San Francisco women professionals against a serial killer who's stalking and murdering newlyweds in bestselling author James Patterson's newest thriller. Lindsay Boxer is a homicide inspector who's just gotten some very bad news. She deals with it by immersing herself in her newest case and soliciting the personal as well as professional support of her closest friend, who happens to be the city's medical examiner. The two women, along with an ambitious and sympathetic reporter and an assistant DA, form an unlikely alliance, pooling their information and bypassing the chain of command in an engaging, suspenseful story whose gruesome setup is vintage Patterson.

"What is the worst thing anyone has ever done?" the killer muses to himself early in the narrative. "Am I capable of doing it? Do I have what it takes?" Answering his own question, he embarks on a murderous spree that takes him from the bridal suite in a Nob Hill hotel to a honeymoon destination in the Napa Valley and thence to a wedding reception at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum in Cleveland, Ohio. Dispatching his victims on the happiest day of their lives, he purposefully leaves enough clues for his distaff trackers to discover his identity and put him behind bars. But just when the women think they've got the case all wrapped up, the killer turns the tables on them in a bloody denouement that even the most discerning reader won't see coming. Patterson, author of the popular Alex Cross mysteries, promises future adventures for the Women's Murder Club, which may give him an opportunity to develop his heroines' characters more completely and win new fans among those who prefer their detectives in high heels and lipstick. --Jane Adams

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:50 -0400)

Patterson debuts his new series that introduces the Women's Murder Club. A demented killer stalks and murders newlyweds in San Francisco. Four women--a police detective, an assistant D.A., a reporter, and a medical examiner--join forces as they sidestep their bosses to track down a criminal whose twisted imagination stuns and entire city.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,389,701 books! | Top bar: Always visible