1st to Die by James Patterson

Title:1st to Die
Authors:James Patterson
Info:Little Brown and Company, Unknown Binding
Rating:**

1st To Die by James Patterson (2001)

English (133)  Spanish (2)  All (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All (139)
1st to die by James Patterson (Women's Murder Club #1) What's it about: The first book of this saga is led by Lindsay Boxer, a divorced female Inspector of the SFPD who has just been diagnosed with a potentially fatal disease and has to solve a series of murders of newlyweds on their wedding night. In order to do this, she gets together with a group of friends - a medical examiner, a reporter and a district attorney - all women trying to make the best of their lives within their stressful jobs.What I liked: First, the idea of the crimes was very interesting. The though of someone planning on killing couples on their wedding day, the happiest day of their lives, was a very good one. I also liked the fast-paced rhythm of the book. Short chapters and quick-developing situations kept me interested all along. What I didn't like: The personal relationships felt a bit forced. Most of the women of the murder club had just met and by the very first meeting they already loved and trusted each other fully with their lives and careers. Same thing with the romantic aspect of the story. While most of the themes this book treated were serious (illnesses, sexual abuse, violence, murders, etc), the book was too simple, as were the characters.Rating: All in all, I liked this book and I would read the rest of the saga. THREE STARS! ( )
  Danyspike | Jan 14, 2017 |
4 women friends — det club — okay

Inspector Lindsay Boxer of the San Francisco Police Department suddenly finds herself in the middle of two horrifying situations: The first is that she's just learned she has an often-fatal blood disease. The second is a double homicide case she is now heading up that involves the murder of newlyweds on their wedding night. Burdened with Chris Raleigh, a new partner reassigned from the mayor's office, Lindsay finds that she has too much to deal with and turns to her best friend, Claire, the head ME on the case. Claire offers helpful advice and human, friendly contact amid a job filled with violence, cruelty, and fear.
  christinejoseph | Sep 28, 2016 |
I enjoyed the story and the nice twist although the twist in the twist seemed too much and obvious to see coming but the final twist bumped up gave it an extra 1/2 star. Nice!

I didn't care for the narrator. She sounded too harsh and gave nearly all the characters a very gruff, hard edge. Some aspects of her reading were very good but she could have softened the tones and voices in many places. ( )
  amcheri | Aug 22, 2016 |
It is a long time since I read a James Patterson book of any description. I should not have left it so long! Here is a murder / thriller with enough twists and turns to confuse many a snake.
First of all I have to say that I was impressed by the way in which the author was able to concentrate the reader into the minds of the four members of the Women’s Murder Club, particularly that of Homicide Inspector Lindsay Boxer of the San Francisco Police. She is faced with her own personal tragedy as well as the gruesome murder of a newly wed couple, followed by two others in other cities of similar couples.
There are clues and Boxer, along with Chris Raleigh, and the Murder Club members, begin to tease them out. The clues are very clever and lead towards a leading celebrity figure, whom they eventually arrest. But it all seems too straightforward and indeed it is. First I thought it definitely was the celebrity and that he was going to try and wriggle off the hook, but then other factors came into play and my attention turned towards another who featured highly in the book. However, I did feel that was going to turn out to be a little too straightforward too, and was not too surprised that I was wrong, but I was taken aback by the final developments.
Skilfully plotted, interesting characters, and an almost satisfying ending (you will have to read the book for yourself to see what I mean.) Highly recommended, read in less than three days, which is quite remarkable for me!
  Alan1946 | Jun 25, 2016 |
Join the newly formed Women's Murder Club and the join in on their first breath taking case to hunt down a killer who targets newly weds. ( )
  Emery_Demers | Jun 19, 2016 |
It is an unusually warm night in July. but I'm shivering badly as I stand on the substantial gray stone terrace outside my apartment.
Please do not combine the abridged audiobook ISBNs 1594830916 and 1586210572 with this full-length novel since they are not the same work. Thanks.

You're about to begin James Patterson's most exciting thriller yet. In San Francisco newlyweds are being stalked--and slaughtered. Enter four unforgettable women, all friends...Lindsay, a homicide inspector in the city's police department...Claire, a medical examiner...Jill, an assistant D.A....and Cindy, a reporter who has just started working the crime desk of the San Francisco Chronicle. Joining forces, pooling their talents, courage, and brains, they have one goal. To find, trap, and outwit the most diabolical and terrifying killer ever imagined.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446696617, Paperback)

The Women's Murder Club pits four San Francisco women professionals against a serial killer who's stalking and murdering newlyweds in bestselling author James Patterson's newest thriller. Lindsay Boxer is a homicide inspector who's just gotten some very bad news. She deals with it by immersing herself in her newest case and soliciting the personal as well as professional support of her closest friend, who happens to be the city's medical examiner. The two women, along with an ambitious and sympathetic reporter and an assistant DA, form an unlikely alliance, pooling their information and bypassing the chain of command in an engaging, suspenseful story whose gruesome setup is vintage Patterson.

"What is the worst thing anyone has ever done?" the killer muses to himself early in the narrative. "Am I capable of doing it? Do I have what it takes?" Answering his own question, he embarks on a murderous spree that takes him from the bridal suite in a Nob Hill hotel to a honeymoon destination in the Napa Valley and thence to a wedding reception at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum in Cleveland, Ohio. Dispatching his victims on the happiest day of their lives, he purposefully leaves enough clues for his distaff trackers to discover his identity and put him behind bars. But just when the women think they've got the case all wrapped up, the killer turns the tables on them in a bloody denouement that even the most discerning reader won't see coming. Patterson, author of the popular Alex Cross mysteries, promises future adventures for the Women's Murder Club, which may give him an opportunity to develop his heroines' characters more completely and win new fans among those who prefer their detectives in high heels and lipstick. --Jane Adams

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:50 -0400)

Patterson debuts his new series that introduces the Women's Murder Club. A demented killer stalks and murders newlyweds in San Francisco. Four women--a police detective, an assistant D.A., a reporter, and a medical examiner--join forces as they sidestep their bosses to track down a criminal whose twisted imagination stuns and entire city.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,626,440 books! | Top bar: Always visible