3rd Degree (2004)

by James Patterson, Andrew Gross

Detective Lindsay Boxer and Assistant District Attorney Jill Bernhardt are enjoying a quiet afternoon in San Francisco when a townhouse across the street explodes in flames. A sinister note signed "August Spies" is found at the scene of the disaster, and the body of an infant who was asleep in the house at the time of the explosion cannot be found. Soon a wave of violent incidents, all with links to political terrorism and involving "August Spies," sweeps through the city. An upcoming economic summit of the world's most powerful nations will surely be a target. And it's up to the Women's Murder Club to get to the bottom of the violence before it's too late.… (more)

English (68)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (74)
I had to give this one three stars for the ending. It was pure shock what comes at the end of this and I was frankly not expecting it nor do I approve. For storytelling, it certainly does the trick, but its something that I still can't get over a year or more after I have read it. The cult-like the group was a nice addition to the storyline and I am always a sucker for a history tie in. If you are up for one big shock of a lifetime dive head first and heart firm into this one! ( )
  BuffyCharpentier | Aug 5, 2020 |
As always the women's murder club books deliver. This was intense fast paced and a complicated plot. I was sad that one of the main characters did not survive this one. I am eager to read the next installment. I did like the main characters new relationship I hope to see more of his character in future books. ( )
  Thelmajean | Jul 4, 2020 |
Ehhh. This book showcases all that is wrong with the Women's Murder Club books. It had too much going on and we end up with a huge loss at the end of this one.

Lindsay is investigating what appears to be a murder and then arson to cover it up of a wealthy Internet millionaire. It doesn't make a lot of sense, but the people behind this and other murders are going to aim to wipe out capitalism. The murder case really isn't front and center until it impacts one of the ladies that is part of the Women's Murder Club.

Lindsay meets a new love interest in this one and honestly he has as much presence as her last lover did which was zero.

Most of the other women are ignored in this one except for Jill. We get some history on her and her marriage and it just comes out of nowhere. Patterson didn't do a great job of setting things up.

Eventually the case and the personal collide and nothing made much sense to me. It felt like Patterson was racing to the end and not really making sure that things were developed in a logical way. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
I love this series, but didn't really like this book. The story line just wasn't my cup of tea. I'm still very interested in the series, but just this one wasn't really of interest. ( )
  cgfaulknerog | May 28, 2020 |
This was by far my favorite in this series thus far. Oh the mystery, the suspense, the tears!!!!!

I can't really write this one without spoilers like I usually try to do so screw it!

OMG. JILL!!!!! WTF. Why did they have to kill her off!!!!!! That royally pissed me off, I LOVED her character!

And FINALLY time for Lindsay to get another love interest and this one ohhhh boy!!!! hold on ladies and well, probably just ladies on this one. He's a charmer.

The case was so well thought out so descriptive I really felt it was real and had really happened. Thank God it hasn't and hopefully never will but damn, this book was great!!!!! James Patterson is quickly becoming one of my favorites! I love all these girls in the Murder Club. They're all so different, so driven, and yet the same.... ( )
  nicolemeier111 | Aug 29, 2018 |

James Pattersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gross, Andrewmain authorall editionsconfirmed
It was a clear, calm, lazy April morning, the day the worst week of my life began.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,821,451 books! | Top bar: Always visible