4th of July by James Patterson

4th of July (original 2005; edition 2006)

by James Patterson

Member:lovemybooks
Title:4th of July
Authors:James Patterson
Info:Warner Vision Books (2006), Paperback, 416 pages
Tags:suspense, thriller

4th of July by James Patterson (2005)

English (60)  French (2)  Dutch (2)  All languages (64)
Det. Lt. Lindsay Boxer, SFPD is with friends from the women's murder club when her former partner tells her that there is a lead on a vehicle from the scene of a murder. After a chase of the vehicle, a shootout ensues. Lindsay and her partner are both shot, one of the two teenagers in the car is killed and the other injured.

After Lindsay's release from the hospital from her injuries, she learns that the father of the twenagers in the chase is suing her for wrongful death, excessive use of force and police misconduct.

This is a very timely topic. If only the teenagers were black the headlines would have been horrific. However Lindsay is put on leave while the case comes to trial.

During this time, she travels to her sister's home not far from San Francisco. While there a true policeman's or policewoman's holiday takes place. A number of murders take place in Half Moon Bay and Lindsay offers her expertise in an attempt to solve the murders.

This is a great book for a summer read. Fast moving action, a good protagonist, her dog, Penelope, a large Vietnamese potbellied pig and a number of murders.

Not much character development but it's not really necessary, most of us have read of Lindsay Boxer and the women's murder club. (Although they aren't a factor in this story.) Some well placed surprises and a clever novel to read. ( )
  mikedraper | Jul 19, 2015 |
When I was in college, I loved James Patterson's books. They were fast paced thrillers that I thought were really fun reads. A decade plus later, I decided to pick up on where I left off with the Women's Murder Club and...yeesh. It's been so long since I last read a Patterson book that I have no idea if they were always this bad. This appears to be the first co-written book in this series, did the co-writer (likely the only one actually writing the book, knowing what a book factory Patterson is) drop the ball? I don't know! All I know is that I may revisit the old Alex Cross books but I'm completely cured of reading anything newer. There were a lot of interesting ideas in this book, but the completely superficial writing, 1-page chapters, and completely underdeveloped plot without any foreshadowing or depth just killed it. ( )
1 vote BrookeAshley | May 23, 2015 |
The best of the 'Women's Murder Club' series so far. Great storyline ( )
  Tony2704 | Mar 3, 2015 |
After losing one of its own, Lindsay Boxer and the Women's Murder Club make a courageous return for their fourth and most chilling case ever-one that could easily be their last. A young girl is killed in crossfire after a routine arrest goes terribly wrong, and Lt. Lindsay Boxer has to defend herself against a charge of police brutality. In a landmark trial that transfixes the nation, Lindsay fights to save her career and her sanity. While awaiting... ( )
  Tutter | Feb 28, 2015 |
This book was different than any of the other books in the series. The plots of the first three were "Here is the problem, let's solve the problem, let's introduce the killer, let's find the killer, found the killer, the end." I love books like that, but this one was different and it so far my favorite book in the series. Within the first 20 pages in this book we knew who the killer(s) was/were for the particular crime they were trying to solve. So what did they do with the other 400 pages? They created a problem out of the solution of most other mystery novels. Easy read but also had lots of twists and turns which made it a nearly impossible book to put down. ( )
  beearedee | Feb 16, 2015 |

Patterson, Jamesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Paetro, MaxineAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
It was just before 4:00 a.m. on a weekday.

A young girl is killed in the crossfire after a routine arrest goes terribly wrong, and Lt. Lindsay Boxer has to defend herself against a charge of police brutality. In a landmark trial that transfixes the nation, Lindsay fights to save her career and her sanity.
While awaiting trial, Lindsay escapes to the tranquility of the beautiful town of Half Moon Bay. But the peaceful community there is reeling from a string of unspeakable murders. Working with her friends in the Women's Murder Club, Lindsay finds a link between these killings and a case she worked on years before - an unsolved murder that has haunted her ever since. As summer comes into full swing, Lindsay battles for her life on two fronts: before a judge and jury as her trial comes to a climax and facing unknown adversaries who will do anything to keep her from the truth about the killings. It all comes to a head before the big annual 4th of July celebration on the waterfront at Half Moon Bay.

"Patterson knows where our deepest fears are buried. There's no stopping his imagination."
-New York Times Book Review

"Patterson's skill at building suspense is enviable." -Kansas City Star

"When it comes to constructing a harrowing plot, author James Patterson can turn a screw all right."
-New York Daily News

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:17 -0400)

Charged with police brutality after a routine arrest goes wrong, Lieutenant Lindsay Boxer waits for her trial in the town of Half Moon Bay, where she discovers a link between a string of murders and a case she worked on years earlier.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,524,091 books! | Top bar: Always visible