4th of July by James Patterson

4th of July (original 2005; edition 2006)

by James Patterson

Member:lovemybooks
Title:4th of July
Authors:James Patterson
Info:Warner Vision Books (2006), Paperback, 416 pages
Tags:suspense, thriller

4th Of July by James Patterson (2005)

English (62)  Dutch (2)  French (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (67)
The entire Woman's Murder Club series is a must read. ( )
  biggs1399 | Jan 19, 2016 |
She didn’t want to do it. She really didn’t. But, two kids were firing at her and Jacobi. Jacobi was down. Lindsay Boxer fired her weapon. Now one teen is in the hospital and will be paralyzed for life … the other is dead. It’s a tragedy, but these teens were not innocent. They’d killed a couple of other teens, then whipped and slashed their buttocks before leaving a message at the scene, “Nobody Cares.” Boxer’s mind went back ten years before to a John Doe whose murderer had never been caught. The MO was the same.

Because of the shooting, Lindsay was placed on administrative leave. She went to her sister’s house in Half Moon Bay where she could recoup and relax. But trouble followed; there were more murders. Now it seems someone may be after Lindsay.

I’ve read the first three in the Women’s Murder Club and this is one of my favorite series in the mystery and suspense genre. This one did not disappoint. There was plenty of action along with twists and turns that keep the reader guessing. I love the group of women that Lindsay meets with. They’re a hoot! But, one of the things I like best about this series is that the situations are realistic and the people have human frailties. No super heroes. Some of the chapters are given over to the killer. We don’t know the name of the person other than The Watcher. And, The Watcher is not alone. Rating: 4 out of 5. ( )
  FictionZeal | Jan 12, 2016 |
Good mystery/thriller to listen to while exercising. ( )
  TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |
Det. Lt. Lindsay Boxer, SFPD is with friends from the women's murder club when her former partner tells her that there is a lead on a vehicle from the scene of a murder. After a chase of the vehicle, a shootout ensues. Lindsay and her partner are both shot, one of the two teenagers in the car is killed and the other injured.

After Lindsay's release from the hospital from her injuries, she learns that the father of the twenagers in the chase is suing her for wrongful death, excessive use of force and police misconduct.

This is a very timely topic. If only the teenagers were black the headlines would have been horrific. However Lindsay is put on leave while the case comes to trial.

During this time, she travels to her sister's home not far from San Francisco. While there a true policeman's or policewoman's holiday takes place. A number of murders take place in Half Moon Bay and Lindsay offers her expertise in an attempt to solve the murders.

This is a great book for a summer read. Fast moving action, a good protagonist, her dog, Penelope, a large Vietnamese potbellied pig and a number of murders.

Not much character development but it's not really necessary, most of us have read of Lindsay Boxer and the women's murder club. (Although they aren't a factor in this story.) Some well placed surprises and a clever novel to read. ( )
  mikedraper | Jul 19, 2015 |
When I was in college, I loved James Patterson's books. They were fast paced thrillers that I thought were really fun reads. A decade plus later, I decided to pick up on where I left off with the Women's Murder Club and...yeesh. It's been so long since I last read a Patterson book that I have no idea if they were always this bad. This appears to be the first co-written book in this series, did the co-writer (likely the only one actually writing the book, knowing what a book factory Patterson is) drop the ball? I don't know! All I know is that I may revisit the old Alex Cross books but I'm completely cured of reading anything newer. There were a lot of interesting ideas in this book, but the completely superficial writing, 1-page chapters, and completely underdeveloped plot without any foreshadowing or depth just killed it. ( )
1 vote BrookeAshley | May 23, 2015 |

Patterson, Jamesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Paetro, MaxineAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
McCormick, CarolynNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was just before 4:00 a.m. on a weekday.

A young girl is killed in the crossfire after a routine arrest goes terribly wrong, and Lt. Lindsay Boxer has to defend herself against a charge of police brutality. In a landmark trial that transfixes the nation, Lindsay fights to save her career and her sanity.
While awaiting trial, Lindsay escapes to the tranquility of the beautiful town of Half Moon Bay. But the peaceful community there is reeling from a string of unspeakable murders. Working with her friends in the Women's Murder Club, Lindsay finds a link between these killings and a case she worked on years before - an unsolved murder that has haunted her ever since. As summer comes into full swing, Lindsay battles for her life on two fronts: before a judge and jury as her trial comes to a climax and facing unknown adversaries who will do anything to keep her from the truth about the killings. It all comes to a head before the big annual 4th of July celebration on the waterfront at Half Moon Bay.

"Patterson knows where our deepest fears are buried. There's no stopping his imagination."
-New York Times Book Review

"Patterson's skill at building suspense is enviable." -Kansas City Star

"When it comes to constructing a harrowing plot, author James Patterson can turn a screw all right."
-New York Daily News

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:17 -0400)

Charged with police brutality after a routine arrest goes wrong, Lieutenant Lindsay Boxer waits for her trial in the town of Half Moon Bay, where she discovers a link between a string of murders and a case she worked on years earlier.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,250,789 books! | Top bar: Always visible