Mary, Mary by James Patterson

Mary, Mary (original 2005; edition 2005)

by James Patterson

Member:jmiesner
Title:Mary, Mary
Authors:James Patterson
Info:Little, Brown and Company (2005), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 400 pages

Mary, Mary by James Patterson (2005)

Recently added byprivate library, PhxDan, mercydallas, j.schafer, apuslibrary, Shoosty

English (50)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (55)
I haven't read much of Patterson, so I don't have a lot to compare it to, which may be good or bad. What I liked best about the book is the behind-the-scenes politics of police work. People make mistakes, the media causes issues, evidence gets blown out of proportion, and people jump to conclusions. And while Cross, the main character, was trying to put the pieces together, his personal life was falling to pieces and had to keep his emotions in check. I enjoy it when authors give their characters real world flaws and don't make them perfect with the perfect families or lives. I would have rated it higher, but the ending left something to be desired. ( )
  PhxDan | Jul 30, 2014 |
  PhxDan | Jul 30, 2014 |
SUMMARY: FBI agent Alex Cross is on vacation with his family at Disneyland when he gets a call from the Director. A well-known actress was shot outside her home in Beverly Hills. Shortly afterward, an editor for the Los Angeles Times receives an e-mail describing the murder in vivid detail. Alex quickly learns that this is not an isolated incident. The killer, known as Mary Smith, has done this before and plans to kill again. Right from the beginning, this case is like nothing Alex has ever confronted. Is this the plan of an obsessed fan or a spurned actor, or is it part of something much more frightening? And particularly baffling, how could a woman be capable of these vicious crimes? Members of Hollywoods A-list fear theyre next on Marys list, and the case grows by blockbuster proportions as the LAPD and FBI scramble to find a pattern before Mary can send one more chilling update. Filled with the ruthless and shocking twists that make his fans hunger for more, MARY, MARY is James Pattersons most sophisticated thriller yet.
  Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |
great ( )
  Mamajeanne | Aug 23, 2013 |
Ok, usually I hate James Patterson. Like I can't stand how linear and obvious his writing is. BUT. This was actually really interesting. I could care less about Alex Cross. Whatever. The CRIME and the MURDERER. That's where it's at. First of all, the idea of the crime and all the stuff surrounding it and the circumstances that made it happen is amazing. I'm not gonna give things away, but it made me think, which is what mysteries and thrillers are supposed to do. And also, I liked how I wasn't bored by the middle because I had already figured it out. I had an inkling, and I needed to keep reading to see if my tiny inkling idea was right. Mysteries shouldn't be impossible to figure out, but they should give you not enough to be unsure of what your conclusion is. And then they should twist. Which is what this book did.

I'm still not a fan, Patterson. But for this one, bravo. ( )
  drrtydenimdiva | Jul 18, 2013 |
This one is for my buds-Johnny, Frankie, Ned, Jim and Jim, Steve, Mike, Tom, and Tom, Merrill, David, Peter, B.J., Del, Hal, Ron, Mickey and Bobby, Joe, Art.

And it's for Mary Jordan, who makes it all work somehow, and who couldn't be more different from the notorious Mary, Mary.
ACT ONE, SCENE ONE, the Storyteller thought to himsef, and couldn't hold back a dizzying rush of anticipation

Somebody is murdering Hollywood's A-list. Her calling card: "You've got mail." On a family vacation, FBI agent Alex Cross is asked to investigate the shooting of a top actress...and an e-mail sent to the Los Angles times with shocking details about the murder, signed Mary Smith. More killings and more e-mails follow, and Mary Smith is getting better every time. To hunt down this merciless killer of Tinseltown's elite, Cross must navigate a world where the stars sip San Pellegrino at the Ivy as hopefuls hover around studio gates with 8 x 10 glossies. And when the case catapults into blockbuster proportions, Cross and the LAPD scramble to find a pattern - before Mary sends one more chilling update.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446619035, Mass Market Paperback)

Somebody is murdering Hollywood's A-list. Her calling card: "You've got mail." On a family vacation, FBI agent Alex Cross is asked to investigate the shooting of a top actress and an e-mail sent to the Los Angeles Times with shocking details about the murder, signed Mary Smith. More killings and more e-mails follow, and Mary Smith is getting better every time. To hunt down this merciless killer of Tinseltown's elite, Cross must navigate a world where the stars sip San Pellegrino at the Ivy as hopefuls hover around studio gates with 8 X 10 glossies. And when the case catapults into blockbuster proportions, Cross and the LAPD scramble to find a pattern-before Mary sends one more chilling update.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:56 -0400)

When he investigates the murder of an actress outside of her Beverly Hills home, FBI agent Alex Cross learns that the attack was the latest in a series of celebrity killings linked to the elusive Mary Smith.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,699,641 books! | Top bar: Always visible