Miss Julia Delivers the Goods: A Novel by…

Miss Julia Delivers the Goods: A Novel (2009)

by Ann B. Ross

As I added this title to my book list on Goodreads, I discovered it was the 10th title in the series. I disagree with some of the earlier reviewers who said this book can not stand alone. I thoroughly enjoyed it and I've not read any of the previous titles. One thing that I found quite pleasant as I read this title, is that the author didn't waste time in Chapter 1 or 2, "catching me up" on characters that may have been introduced in previous novels. As much as I enjoy Debbie Macomber and Sue Grafton titles, it is sometimes annoying and interrupts the storyline to be given what almost seems a "presentation of characters and backgrounds" in Chapter 1 or 2. Ann Ross doesn't worry about that and it seemed a breath of fresh air.
Miss Julia reminds me of one of the neighbors when I was growing up...knowing everything about everybody or as the perfect definition of the neighborhood "busy body". One of the other pleasures about reading the book is that the author seamlessly shares not only Miss Julia's conversations but Miss Julia's thoughts (and inner thought analysis of situations as women tend to do) as she proceeds through her life in the storyline. I think that takes a very special writer to share those thoughts so seamlessly without it ever becoming an interruption of the story and/or an awkward presentation. I wouldn't hesitate to pick up another Miss Julia title and learn of her next adventure or an earlier one that I missed.
  Corduroy7 | Aug 6, 2014 |
Miss Julia and the entire cast are at it again. There is chaos on several fronts. Hazel Marie and JD are on the outs. Someone has broken into Sam's house and trashed all his work on the history of law in their county. Julia has secrets on top of secrets that she is trying to keep and everyone is running around with different bits of the story.

This one was a bit more madcap than some and I had to laugh at the line about Miss Julia not sticking her nose into other peoples business, since that about all she does!

I only have one more book in the series to be caught up, and I have it sitting here beside me. ( )
  bookswoman | Mar 31, 2013 |
My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | Mar 31, 2013 |
Just when you think Hazel Marie can't upend Miss Julia's life anymore than she already has, she does! Worried that Hazel will leave town and take Little Lloyd with her, Miss Julia is back, poking her nose into the lives of those she loves, well-meaning as always. There's a little mystery as well, as Sam's former home is ransacked and the book he is working on of the history of the county is at risk.
  SABC | Apr 18, 2011 |
It had been a while since I read a Miss Julia book. They are light mysteries and a lot of fun. ( )
  eliorajoy | Oct 19, 2010 |
As evidenced in the tenth book in her "Miss Julia" series, Ross (Miss Julia Paints the Town) has a solid handle on the matronly know-it-all who can’t stop meddling in the lives of her loved ones. Although the mystery angle is lukewarm, fans of the series will enjoy.

" Miss Julia?"

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0670020656, Hardcover)

Miss Julia faces a double dose of trouble-this time right under her own roof

Miss Julia's iron will and kind heart have assured her a spot among the most beloved characters of Southern literature. In her latest adventure, Miss Julia whisks Hazel Marie off to the doctor when the latter admits she's been feeling poorly. The news floors them both: Hazel Marie is pregnant with twins. Unfortunately, she's also just sent her beau, Mr. Pickens, packing. Miss Julia needs a plan-and fast. So when Sam's house is robbed, Miss Julia declares that only J. D. Pickins, P.I., can get his things back. Playing Cupid and solving the crime might seem like a tall order but readers everywhere know that Miss Julia always delivers the goods.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:14 -0400)

Abbotsville finds itself the scene of a heist; and Miss Julia knows there's only one man who can solve the crime. It's J. D. Pickens, P.I., renowned investigator and Hazel Marie's wayward love. When he's summoned, one thing becomes clear: Miss Julia must help set things right between them or find herself the only one who can, quite literally, deliver the goods.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,042,150 books! | Top bar: Always visible