The Diary of a Young Girl: The Definitive…

The Diary of a Young Girl: The Definitive Edition

by Anne Frank

Other authors: Otto H. Frank (Editor)

Ruth Maier's Diary: A Young Girl's Life Under Nazism by Ruth Maier (JessamyJane)
    Mischling, Second Degree: My Childhood in Nazi Germany by Ilse Koehn (SusannainSC)
    SusannainSC: The other side of the coin: a German Jew who survived - in the Nazi Youth.
    Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Great stories of hope and survival in the face of brutality and genocide
    Hidden Letters by Deborah Slier & Ian Shine (meggyweg)
    meggyweg: Two collections of writings by two teenage victims of the Holocaust in the Netherlands.
    The Help by Kathryn Stockett (infiniteletters)
    infiniteletters: Lest we forget the lost

It's a well-known story: In Holland during World War II, the Jewish Frank family, along with another family and a local dentist, waited out the Nazi persecution in a hidden suite of rooms they called "the Secret Annexe". For two years the depended on the kindness of Mr. Frank's former employees as they looked forward to the end of the war and regaining their freedom. The younger Frank daughter, Anne, recorded everything in her diary, which she looked upon as her closest friend.

Anne Frank's The Diary of a Young Girl is such a classic of Holocaust literature and part of popular culture it is hard to find anything new to say about it. In this reading, I was impressed with the subtle depiction of the anxiety that came out as endless bickering among the eight inhabitants of the Secret Annexe. I was also impressed by how close they came to surviving.

I strongly recommend this "definitive edition" (translated by Susan Massotty, with an introduction by Francine Prose) over the older edition (translated by B.M. Mooyaart-Doubleday, with an introduction by Eleanor Roosevelt) that I struggled with as a teen. In earlier edition, Anne's narrative voice sounded stilted; in this one, she sounds more like an adolescent, but, fortunately, not anachronistically like a modern teen. In the diary the reader can see Anne grow from a rather silly "chatterbox" to a feminist with plans for a career in journalism. It is so sad that her life was needlessly cut short.

Even if you've read it before, this book is well worth revisiting. ( )
  akblanchard | Jun 17, 2016 |
Review: The Diary Of A Young Girl by Anne Frank. What a delightful refreshing read. Although a sad story but beautifully written. I got a different perspective reading this again after so many years. I remember enjoying it then but I’ll admit it was worth the read now that I’m somewhat older….The story of a Jewish family and friends living in a hidden annex in Germany for two years was so brave. It’s hard to believe they managed to hide for that amount of time. Just being cramped in a space with eight people for two years can be like living with a splinter under ones fingernail. I like having my own space so I think I would have cracked under the pressure of the people who I was hiding with and the war all around me. They were people trying to survive the terrors of the Hitler and his armies. Keeping a diary as young Anne Frank did during the time in the secret annex was the only thing that she felt safe about. Her diary acted as the friend listener she was craving so much. Kitty was their for her when no one understood what she was feeling. Kitty was her friend for Anne’s short life and Kitty was the one who told
Anne Frank’s story to the world…..What an amazing story.
  Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
This isn't something I feel I can rate. It's such a private thing, such a mundane thing, & yet such a tragic thing. It's a surreal experience, reading the diary of a girl forced into extraordinary circumstances, knowing what her ultimate fate was. You know, for example, that the big invasion they're hoping for & expecting any day will happen... & so you know that it has no effect on their lives. You can sympathize that life in hiding during wartime is trying, & terrible, & unbearable... but you also know how much worse it will get for all of them before their journey is over.

I think the most poignant part is the relationship between Anne & her mother. Things are hard for teenaged girls & their mothers in the best of circumstances. Under these conditions, a strained relationship is only going to get worse. Knowing that this mother & daughter never got the chance to grow together, to get to know each other better & differently, is heart-rending. Knowing that that scenario played out over millions of other lives for the same reason makes me gasp in horror.

This is a hard read. It's easy to want to tune Anne out - she's often an annoying teenaged girl. But she's also an excellent diarist, giving the reader a complete & compelling picture of the daily operations of her situation. And just when you want to put this away, thinking you've gotten what you wanted from it, something brings you back into the immediacy of the danger they were living with. Right down to the abrupt end of her diary, you get a complete look at Anne, her family & co-inhabitants, their courageous helpers, & life in Holland during WWII.
  LauraCerone | May 26, 2016 |
As the Nazi regime began sending Amsterdam Jews to concentration camps during WWII thirteen-year-old Anne Franck went into hiding with her family. They hid in a secret annex to the office building Otto Franck had owned but he had transferred all assets to one of his friends and co-workers. Three of the workers knew of the Franck's hiding place and continued to bring food, clothing and other necessities during the 2 years they remained there. The Francks were joined by another family, the Van Pels, and a dentist friend, Fritz Pfeffer. In August of 1944, just over 2 years after they went into hiding the police arrested the families after having been alerted to their presence by an anonymous tip. All would die in concentration camps except for Otto Franck.

I had preconceived notions about what this book would be like but I was completely wrong. I fully expected page after page of fear, lamentations and the wringing of hands but I was delightfully surprised at Anne's writing. She was a vivacious, lively and teenaged normal young lady who at time bordered on bratty. Writing in her diary which she called "Dear Kitty" she had no qualms about stating her opinions many of which were scathing especially towards her mother. Although Anne loved her father dearly and tolerated her sister, Margot, she often wrote of her disdain and outright dislike for her mother. I was also taken aback by her frank passages about sex and the discussions she had with the 16-year-old Peter Van Pels on the subject. Anne was certainly an early advocate of women's lib as she wrote about the inequality of the sexes and how she wished to be more than just a housewife. She had a strong faith in God and eternal optimism that the war would end and life would be as she knew it before.

More than just about any book I have read about the Holocaust this one affected me emotionally. I believe it is because reading those words of a living, breathing teenager made her real to me. To know that she died a horrible death at Bergen-Belsen concentration camp and that her body ended up in a mass grave is heartbreaking. She put a face and a life on the millions of Jews who lost their lives and I will never forget Anne or her diary.
  Ellen_R | Jan 15, 2016 |
It's really hard for me to rate and review what was a young teenagers diary. In many ways Anne comes accross as a typical teenager despite the fact that her family is in hiding for so long from the nazis. Just knowing that everyoen in the diary except Anne's father died does help bring hoem how horrible the holocaust was. ( )
  RachelNF | Jan 15, 2016 |
Her extraordinary commitment to the immediacy of individual experience in the face of crushing circumstance is precisely what has made Anne Frank's "Diary" -- since the first edition of the book appeared in the Netherlands in 1947 -- the single most compelling personal account of the Holocaust

Anne Frankprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Frank, Otto H.Editorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Frank- Fonds, Annesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Massotty, SusanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mooyaart-Doubleday, B.M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pressler, MirjamEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roosevelt, EleanorIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiesel, ElieIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Foreword: Anne Frank kept a diary from June 12, 1942, to August 1, 1944.
June 12, 1942: I hope I will be able to confide everything to you, as I have never been able to confide in anyone, and I hope you will be a great source of comfort and support.
[April 5, 1944] I don't want to have lived in vain like most people. I want to be useful or bring enjoyment to all people, even those I've never met. I want to go on living even after my death!
The Definitive Edition of Anne Frank's Diary is complete and unabridged. Earlier editions were significantly edited by her father Otto M. Frank. Please see http://www.librarything.com/topic/563... for further discussion.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553577123, Mass Market Paperback)

Anne Frank's diaries have always been among the most moving and eloquent documents of the Holocaust. This new edition restores diary entries omitted from the original edition, revealing a new depth to Anne's dreams, irritations, hardships, and passions. Anne emerges as more real, more human, and more vital than ever. If you've never read this remarkable autobiography, do so. If you have read it, you owe it to yourself to read it again.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:51 -0400)

An uncut edition of Anne Frank's diary includes entries originally omitted by her father and provides insight into Anne's relationship with her mother.

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140264736, 014118275X, 0141315180, 0141315199, 0141032006

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,224,938 books! | Top bar: Always visible