The Diary of a Young Girl: The Definitive…

The Diary of a Young Girl: The Definitive Edition

by Anne Frank

Other authors: Otto H. Frank (Editor)

Ruth Maier's Diary: A Young Girl's Life Under Nazism by Ruth Maier (JessamyJane)
    Mischling, Second Degree: My Childhood in Nazi Germany by Ilse Koehn (SusannainSC)
    SusannainSC: The other side of the coin: a German Jew who survived - in the Nazi Youth.
    Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Great stories of hope and survival in the face of brutality and genocide
    Hidden Letters by Deborah Slier & Ian Shine (meggyweg)
    meggyweg: Two collections of writings by two teenage victims of the Holocaust in the Netherlands.
    The Help by Kathryn Stockett (infiniteletters)
    infiniteletters: Lest we forget the lost

Of course I knew exactly what The Diary of a Young Girl was before I started reading it. I quickly realised that, even though I knew what it was, I had no idea what it would be like.
In many ways it is an ordinary diary. It is written by a young girl, and it is about the kind of stuff any young person would be likely to write about: Seeking approval, conflicts with parents, growing up, love, and other subjects that would be on the mind of any teen. Naturally, even though this is a regular diary, it is far from normal. Anne Frank and her family are hiding from the Nazis, and know that they, and the people who helped them hide, will probably be killed if they are discovered.
It is fascinating to see how people adjust, and how life, even under tough circumstances, can still seem normal. One page talks about fear of dying, the next about dislike of algebra, followed by a note on how bombs are falling nearby, followed by how grown-ups are stupid.
It is also an historic document, and worth reading for the tragic reminder of how people were treated like anything but during the second world war.
The sense of normality is part of what makes this diary so powerful: it is a reminder how we are all alike. Regardless of ethnicity, religion, upbringing, and even circumstance, we are all human beings who deserve to be treated the same.
At the same time, Anne Frank shows no acceptance. She knows that the situation that is forced upon her is wrong, and she speaks of her hopes and ambitions for when the war is over. She refuses to accept the limitations society attribute to her as a Jew and as a woman. She wants to be the best person she can be, and she wants the world to be a place in which she can achieve this.

The Diary of a Young Girl is as essential as I thought it would be, and is well deserving of the position it has as a must-read book in the context of the second world war. ( )
  clq | Jul 29, 2014 |
This book is very educational and eye opening for students. I read this book in my 5th grade English class. This book is the diary of Anne Frank and her struggles during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands. She goes through many struggles throughout the book and this book helps students understand just how bad things were back then. This book would be great for any English of History class to help educate the students. ( )
  loganbuttram330 | Jul 21, 2014 |
I read this book on a day I was really depressed, mostly because it's what I currently have out from the library, but also because I was hoping it would make me feel inspired and see that my problems aren't really so bad--that if she could manage to be hopeful in such horrific circumstances.

Well, it was definitely very amazing that she did manage to be hopeful (though certainly not all the time), but when I read it I just ended up being really sad, because all that hope still didn't save her. I thought a lot about the atrocity that made her end up in such a situation.

One of the things that really struck me was how much you can tell that, bright and insightful as she was, she was also just a *normal teenager* in a lot of ways--getting irritated with her parents, discovering her sexuality, etc. This edition has 30% more content than the previous one that was published. I haven't read the original edition but I did think it was important to see her humanity, not just as "a flawless symbol," as the cover copy put it.

I do think this is a book everyone should read, because it's so important to recognize this part of our history, no matter how difficult that is to face. ( )
  selfcallednowhere | Jul 19, 2014 |
I enjoyed reading this classic again as an adult. I once read it - probably jr. high age. The terror, poverty and isolation the Frank family went through for two years is very well represented in the 13-year old girl's diary as the Jewish family lived in hiding in a small Annex in Amsterdam hiding from the Germans. ( )
  berthacummins | May 19, 2014 |
I would reccomend this book to readers that like history and non-fictions, i love the story and how anne likes to write in her diary (the book) but the book just takes too long to read because the writing is sooooo small in the version i read ( )
  michelle666 | Oct 23, 2013 |
Her extraordinary commitment to the immediacy of individual experience in the face of crushing circumstance is precisely what has made Anne Frank's "Diary" -- since the first edition of the book appeared in the Netherlands in 1947 -- the single most compelling personal account of the Holocaust

Anne Frankprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mooyaart-Doubleday, B.M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pressler, MirjamEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roosevelt, EleanorIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiesel, ElieIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Foreword: Anne Frank kept a diary from June 12, 1942, to August 1, 1944.
June 12, 1942: I hope I will be able to confide everything to you, as I have never been able to confide in anyone, and I hope you will be a great source of comfort and support.
[April 5, 1944] I don't want to have lived in vain like most people. I want to be useful or bring enjoyment to all people, even those I've never met. I want to go on living even after my death!
The Definitive Edition of Anne Frank's Diary is complete and unabridged. Earlier editions were significantly edited by her father Otto M. Frank. Please see http://www.librarything.com/topic/563... for further discussion.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553577123, Mass Market Paperback)

Anne Frank's diaries have always been among the most moving and eloquent documents of the Holocaust. This new edition restores diary entries omitted from the original edition, revealing a new depth to Anne's dreams, irritations, hardships, and passions. Anne emerges as more real, more human, and more vital than ever. If you've never read this remarkable autobiography, do so. If you have read it, you owe it to yourself to read it again.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:39 -0400)

An uncut edition of Anne Frank's diary includes entries originally omitted by her father and provides insight into Anne's relationship with her mother.

Five editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140264736, 014118275X, 0141315180, 0141315199, 0141032006

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,668,550 books! | Top bar: Always visible