dismiss

The Diary of a Young Girl: The Definitive Edition (1947)

by Anne Frank

Other authors: Otto H. Frank (Editor)

The diary as Anne Frank wrote it. At last, in a new translation, this definitive edition contains entries about Anne's burgeoning sexuality and confrontations with her mother that were cut from previous editions. Anne Frank's The Diary of a Young Girl is among the most enduring documents of the twentieth century.… (more)
    Ruth Maier's Diary: A Young Girl's Life Under Nazism by Ruth Maier (JessamyJane)
    The Complete Maus by Art Spiegelman (artturnerjr)
    artturnerjr: Two stories of the Holocaust. One is in prose, the other is in comics format; both are appealing to diverse audiences.
    Night by Elie Wiesel (LiteraryReadaholic)
    The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (LiteraryReadaholic)
    Anne Frank's Tales from the Secret Annex by Anne Frank (Cecrow)
    Mischling, Second Degree: My Childhood in Nazi Germany by Ilse Koehn (SusannainSC)
    SusannainSC: The other side of the coin: a German Jew who survived - in the Nazi Youth.
    Hidden Letters by Deborah Slier & Ian Shine (meggyweg)
    meggyweg: Two collections of writings by two teenage victims of the Holocaust in the Netherlands.
    Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Great stories of hope and survival in the face of brutality and genocide
    The Help by Kathryn Stockett (infiniteletters)
    infiniteletters: Lest we forget the lost

English (86)  Swedish (1)  All languages (87)
I recently visited the Anne Frank house while I was vacationing in Amsterdam. Was inspired to read the diary. Pretty amazing seeing the conditions on what they lived in the Annex. I think I would give this five stars if I was still an adolescent and it resonated more with me as it’s a pretty eye opening book given the time at which it took place. ( )
  jonathanpapz | Jul 2, 2020 |
I read this book as part of Dead Writers Society Literary Birthday Challenge for 2016. I selected this one, and three other books because I feel like I have been slacking lately on my challenges on Goodreads. I first read version b of The Diary of a Young Girl when I was a teenager. I recall being sad and upset that someone that felt so alive to me was taken away and murdered. Reading about World War II and the Holocaust as a teen, I remember feeling sick. I can't imagine the atrocities that people had to live through. I read "Night" a few months ago and that book devastated me for days.

I feel very weird not giving this book five stars but here is my reasoning. Although I loved the historical aspect of this memoir/diary, I thought the whole thing started to read a bit samey after the first 50 pages or so.

That said, I love that as readers we get to see an in depth look of a 13 year old girl who had her whole life turned upside down because she was Jewish.

Because she was Jewish, she, her family, and others had to go into hiding with fear that they would be discovered which would mean the Nazis would find them, round them up, and send them to concentration camps where they knew they would surely be killed. I can't imagine living with that terror day in an day out.

I am fascinated that I had no idea for years that the version of this memoir I read decades ago had been edited. In my version, I don't recall any angst by Anne. I don't recall her having any fights with her mother or sister or any of the other occupants of the Annex where they all remained hidden for two years. I just remember thinking she sounded like a sweet girl who still saw the best in people and hoped to one day be allowed to go outside again. The definitive edition gives you the real Anne Frank. A 13 year old girl that at times was self centered, mean spirited, and moody. She felt more real to me in this version than she did in the version I had read decades ago.

Heck, I can see why she was moody. To be locked inside for two years, to have no privacy, to have to set up times for people to nap and study. To do all of that for two years would have left me bad tempered and ready to yell at anyone who breathed on me wrong too.

The ending though I knew what was coming was sad. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
Right here is a book that I have heard about all the time, but was never assigned to read when I attended public schools. Even when I took a class on genocides in college, it was never mentioned, much less assigned. Because Frank’s story has transcended into popular culture, I decided to pick up a copy of her diary and rectify not reading it. Since she is stereotyped as just hiding in an attic, I assumed her diary would be boring and not have anything interesting to say; luckily, I was wrong. While parts of it do come across as the musings of an angst filled teenager, other entries come across as wise. Even though I chastised other books in this list ending abruptly, here it is excusable because of her unexpected capture. While I cannot speak for the countless other translations and versions of Anne’s diary, this one helped convey why this impactful story is still being mentioned and taught a near 80 years after it was written. ( )
  TNAEWWF123 | Apr 27, 2020 |
This is a moving book that should be read as a history of life under German occupation as a Jew. It is hard to believe the conditions that they lived in. We've all probably heard Anne's story, but hearing it in her own words is even more poignant. At times, she gets to rambling about inane things and that is a little difficult to read through. But Anne has some very profound insights as well. ( )
  dms12880 | Nov 29, 2018 |
I don't know how I managed to get this far in life without reading Anne Frank's The Diary of a Young Girl. I've even been to the Anne Frank house in Amsterdam but I had not read the diary. I finally got around to it this summer. I listened to the audio recording of the definitive edition, which includes several pages that were purposely omitted from its initial publication. Anne went through puberty during her time in hiding. Her diary transcends the bounds of time and space, documenting the rites of passage of teens in every time and place. Anne writes of conflict with her mother and older sister, of the joys and despair of first love, of her dreams for her future and her life's work. Although her life was tragically short, she fulfilled one of her dreams. Through her diary, she achieved worldwide and lasting fame as an author. Like many readers before me, I grieve for what might have been and the many more books that were never written. ( )
  cbl_tn | Aug 5, 2018 |
Her extraordinary commitment to the immediacy of individual experience in the face of crushing circumstance is precisely what has made Anne Frank's "Diary" -- since the first edition of the book appeared in the Netherlands in 1947 -- the single most compelling personal account of the Holocaust

Frank, Anneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pressler, MirjamEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roosevelt, EleanorIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiesel, ElieIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

Foreword: Anne Frank kept a diary from June 12, 1942, to August 1, 1944.
June 12, 1942: I hope I will be able to confide everything to you, as I have never been able to confide in anyone, and I hope you will be a great source of comfort and support.
[April 5, 1944] I don't want to have lived in vain like most people. I want to be useful or bring enjoyment to all people, even those I've never met. I want to go on living even after my death!
Ode to My Fountain Pen / In Memoriam
The Definitive Edition of Anne Frank's Diary is complete and unabridged. Earlier editions were significantly edited by her father Otto H. Frank. Please see http://www.librarything.com/topic/563... for further discussion.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014118275X, 0141315180, 0141032006

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,812,968 books! | Top bar: Always visible