The Diary of a Young Girl: The Definitive…

The Diary of a Young Girl: The Definitive Edition

by Anne Frank

Other authors: Otto H. Frank (Editor)

Ruth Maier's Diary: A Young Girl's Life Under Nazism by Ruth Maier (JessamyJane)
    Mischling, Second Degree: My Childhood in Nazi Germany by Ilse Koehn (SusannainSC)
    SusannainSC: The other side of the coin: a German Jew who survived - in the Nazi Youth.
    Maus: A Survivor's Tale by Art Spiegelman (artturnerjr)
    artturnerjr: Two stories of the Holocaust. One is in prose, the other is in comics format; both are appealing to diverse audiences.
    Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Great stories of hope and survival in the face of brutality and genocide
    Hidden Letters by Deborah Slier & Ian Shine (meggyweg)
    meggyweg: Two collections of writings by two teenage victims of the Holocaust in the Netherlands.
    Tales from the House Behind by Anne Frank (Cecrow)
    The Help by Kathryn Stockett (infiniteletters)
    infiniteletters: Lest we forget the lost

“The Diary of a Young Girl” by Anne Frank is an amazing diary about Anne whose life got turned upside down because of the Nazi Germans and causing her to hide for 2 years. This diary is amazing because as you read the book, you feel like your with her during those 2 years where she spent hiding from the Germans that took over her home. Here are the strengths and weaknesses that I’ve found throughout reading the book.
The strengths are Anne Frank who lived through this experience, writing in her diary as she experienced things. It was real fear, real issues, and the way they actually lived their day to day life in hiding. It shows her emotions, personality and interests before the war and how they change during the war. However, I think the weakness is that Anne Frank was a very young girl when he started writing the diary. She may have misunderstood things or just not had any idea what was going on. Her diary may not be a complete reality of what being in hiding was like.
I would recommend this book to anyone who has an interest in reading historical, war, or mystery books as it is so interesting. This book would be suitable for people aged ten upwards since there are some very sad things that took place in the diary. Reading this book kept me very interested, as well as continuously make me think. Reading this book is a must for people who are interested in such events during the war.
  HarryAG | Dec 3, 2016 |
This book was very tragic and touching story. The first thing that came out to mind when reading this book was how much more mature Anne's writing was than anything I wrote when I was that age. This was a diary written by a Jewish teenager during World War II between 1942 and 1944, while she was in hiding with her family and other refugees. As I read it I realize that the story line is about when she encounters loneliness, depression, and questions about herself; and then as she glimpses her first real love.

It is World War Two, and the Jews are always being rounded up and taken to concentration camps. Everyone knows that if you are caught and taken, you will never come return. The book is Anne’s diary, and through her words we can understand a little of what she went through. She writes of anger, happiness, hope and love while she keeps herself in a room she calls the Secret Annex.

One feels and suffers with Anne in her moments of heart-thumping terror when noises are heard downstairs, her moments of despairing frustration at the ceaseless bickering over food, and, yes, the moments of private joy when she marvels at the beauty of nature in the world outside her place of captivity. There are some marvelously inspiring quotes on the latter, showing how even in the depths of the appalling situation she was in, she was able to find peace and tranquility in God's creation.

This book can teach us how life goes on, she thought us how to respect people even thought our culture, religion, etc are different. There are a lot of message we can get from this book. This book is recommended for those who wants to know more about how Jewish people treat other people around them and also Holocaust in WW2. ( )
1 vote Emiliokapojos08 | Dec 3, 2016 |
The Diary of a Young Girl book is a book that tells about a thirteen-year-old Jewish girl who got a diary as her birthday present on her thirteen birthday. Anne and her family live in Frankfurt, Germany; but Anne and her family had to move to the secret annex because of the World War II. Anne and her family were hiding at her father’s office with the other Jewish family for two years. While hiding in the secret annex, Anne finds some time for her to write her diary, which now has became a book that has been read by a lot of people.

This book really helped a lot of people to know about how the experience of living while hiding for surviving our lives from the war. I like how Anne had a motivation to wrote about her life experienced while the world war was happening out there. Anne wrote her diary in a positive way; although at that time, Anne and her family were in an awful situation. Unfortunately, Anne Frank was a thirteen-year-old girl when she started writing her diary. She might be misunderstood things, misinterpreted things, or maybe she does not had any idea about what was going on around her. Having such a very young age for experiencing a world war, Anne’s diary may not be a complete and clear reality of what being in Secret annex was like.

There are many important messages in this book, but the most important message is that all people have the right to live in freedom. This story shows us that although we live in a different religion and race, does not mean that they should treat people differently. In Anne’s time, we can imagine how they treat all the Jewish so bad, so many people who were hiding were so worried about being found and punished. People are free to live, and they have the right to live in peace. I would recommend this book to anyone who has an interest in reading historical, war or mystery books. Also, I am going to give this book five stars; for this book has a very good lesson for all of us to learn. ( )
  annastasyaratulangi | Dec 1, 2016 |
The diary of a young girl is a book that was written by Anne Frank during the world war II. She was a jew and hiding from NAZI that wanted to kill her and her whole family. She was only 13 years old at that time and she should face a big problem in front of her.
One good thing about this book is it gives us a big moral lesson. The author, Anne Frank, gave us an example that she didn’t hate NAZI even though they tried to kill her family and her race. Anne frank also taught us to be patient. She never went against her parents even in a very hard situation. There are many other good moral lessons that we can get if we read this book.
One bad thing about this book is it isn’t to fun to read for young generation. This book is more likely to be a historical book. This book didn't give interesting content that young people usually like nowadays. But overall this book is still recommended if anyone want to know the condition of the holocaust by NAZI in World War 2. ( )
  Christo_Edwin | Dec 1, 2016 |
This is the actual diary of Anne Frank, a child in hiding during the Holocaust. Her memoir start right before they go into hiding and it ends right before her family and friends are captured. Her diary amazingly survived and its history is preserved.
  OliviaJacobson | Nov 27, 2016 |
Her extraordinary commitment to the immediacy of individual experience in the face of crushing circumstance is precisely what has made Anne Frank's "Diary" -- since the first edition of the book appeared in the Netherlands in 1947 -- the single most compelling personal account of the Holocaust

Anne Frankprimary authorall editionscalculated
Frank, Otto H.Editorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Frank- Fonds, Annesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Massotty, SusanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mooyaart-Doubleday, B.M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pressler, MirjamEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roosevelt, EleanorIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiesel, ElieIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Foreword: Anne Frank kept a diary from June 12, 1942, to August 1, 1944.
June 12, 1942: I hope I will be able to confide everything to you, as I have never been able to confide in anyone, and I hope you will be a great source of comfort and support.
[April 5, 1944] I don't want to have lived in vain like most people. I want to be useful or bring enjoyment to all people, even those I've never met. I want to go on living even after my death!
The Definitive Edition of Anne Frank's Diary is complete and unabridged. Earlier editions were significantly edited by her father Otto M. Frank. Please see http://www.librarything.com/topic/563... for further discussion.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553577123, Mass Market Paperback)

Anne Frank's diaries have always been among the most moving and eloquent documents of the Holocaust. This new edition restores diary entries omitted from the original edition, revealing a new depth to Anne's dreams, irritations, hardships, and passions. Anne emerges as more real, more human, and more vital than ever. If you've never read this remarkable autobiography, do so. If you have read it, you owe it to yourself to read it again.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:51 -0400)

An uncut edition of Anne Frank's diary includes entries originally omitted by her father and provides insight into Anne's relationship with her mother.

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140264736, 014118275X, 0141315180, 0141315199, 0141032006

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,749,935 books! | Top bar: Always visible