The Diary of a Young Girl: The Definitive…

The Diary of a Young Girl: The Definitive Edition (original 1947; edition 1997)

by Anne Frank (Author)

Member:amsuwa
Title:The Diary of a Young Girl: The Definitive Edition
Authors:Anne Frank (Author)
Info:Bantam (1997), Edition: Reprint, 352 pages

The Diary of a Young Girl: The Definitive Edition by Anne Frank (1947)

Ruth Maier's Diary: A Young Girl's Life Under Nazism by Ruth Maier (JessamyJane)
    Maus: A Survivor's Tale by Art Spiegelman (artturnerjr)
    artturnerjr: Two stories of the Holocaust. One is in prose, the other is in comics format; both are appealing to diverse audiences.
    Night by Elie Wiesel (LiteraryReadaholic)
    The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (LiteraryReadaholic)
    Tales from the House Behind by Anne Frank (Cecrow)
    Mischling, second degree by Ilse Koehn (SusannainSC)
    SusannainSC: The other side of the coin: a German Jew who survived - in the Nazi Youth.
    Hidden Letters by Deborah Slier & Ian Shine (meggyweg)
    meggyweg: Two collections of writings by two teenage victims of the Holocaust in the Netherlands.
    Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Great stories of hope and survival in the face of brutality and genocide
    The Help by Kathryn Stockett (infiniteletters)
    infiniteletters: Lest we forget the lost

English (78)  Swedish (1)  All (79)
Anne Frank is a Jewish girl who has to go into hiding during World War Two to escape from the Nazis . Together with seven others she hides in the secret annex at Prinsengracht 263 in Amsterdam. After more than two years in hiding they are discovered and deported to concentration camps. and she trys to hide but they find her and send her off to a camp

i rated this book a 5 because it decribes all of history and the stragize between her and hiding was crazy and it made me very sad and down becase of what happed. ( )
  DontaeG.B4 | May 29, 2018 |
If you keep the title in mind while reading instead of the historical outcome, this really is a fascinating look into the mind of a teenager from wartorn 1940s Holland (but it is also an important historical document, too). ( )
  bookwyrmm | Jun 20, 2017 |
Anne Frank was Jewish. She kept a diary during the Holocaust of her feelings and what went on in the Annex.

You can't deny she had talent and would've made it as a writer. Such a shame. ( )
1 vote jenn88 | Apr 25, 2017 |
(9/10) I have seen numerous film and tv adaptations about Anne Frank over the years but none of them quiet convey her tragic story like her diary.

It was wonderful to read her intimate thoughts and watch her grow up on the page. While we don't all experience the same life events the pangs of adolescence transcend time and culture making this relatable to anyone who has been a teenager.

I am sure that Anne would have fulfilled her wish of becoming a writer had she survived the war, her writing improved as time went on and she was certainly a very gifted young girl.

Nothing could be sadder than the sudden end of the diary, cruelly symbolic of the sudden end to a young life taken far too soon. ( )
  LiteraryReadaholic | Mar 8, 2017 |
“The Diary of a Young Girl” by Anne Frank is an amazing diary about Anne whose life got turned upside down because of the Nazi Germans and causing her to hide for 2 years. This diary is amazing because as you read the book, you feel like your with her during those 2 years where she spent hiding from the Germans that took over her home. Here are the strengths and weaknesses that I’ve found throughout reading the book.
The strengths are Anne Frank who lived through this experience, writing in her diary as she experienced things. It was real fear, real issues, and the way they actually lived their day to day life in hiding. It shows her emotions, personality and interests before the war and how they change during the war. However, I think the weakness is that Anne Frank was a very young girl when he started writing the diary. She may have misunderstood things or just not had any idea what was going on. Her diary may not be a complete reality of what being in hiding was like.
I would recommend this book to anyone who has an interest in reading historical, war, or mystery books as it is so interesting. This book would be suitable for people aged ten upwards since there are some very sad things that took place in the diary. Reading this book kept me very interested, as well as continuously make me think. Reading this book is a must for people who are interested in such events during the war.
  HarryAG | Dec 3, 2016 |
Her extraordinary commitment to the immediacy of individual experience in the face of crushing circumstance is precisely what has made Anne Frank's "Diary" -- since the first edition of the book appeared in the Netherlands in 1947 -- the single most compelling personal account of the Holocaust

Frank, Anneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mooyaart-Doubleday, B.M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pressler, MirjamEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roosevelt, EleanorIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiesel, ElieIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Foreword: Anne Frank kept a diary from June 12, 1942, to August 1, 1944.
June 12, 1942: I hope I will be able to confide everything to you, as I have never been able to confide in anyone, and I hope you will be a great source of comfort and support.
[April 5, 1944] I don't want to have lived in vain like most people. I want to be useful or bring enjoyment to all people, even those I've never met. I want to go on living even after my death!
Ode to My Fountain Pen / In Memoriam
The Definitive Edition of Anne Frank's Diary is complete and unabridged. Earlier editions were significantly edited by her father Otto M. Frank. Please see http://www.librarything.com/topic/563... for further discussion.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553577123, Mass Market Paperback)

Anne Frank's diaries have always been among the most moving and eloquent documents of the Holocaust. This new edition restores diary entries omitted from the original edition, revealing a new depth to Anne's dreams, irritations, hardships, and passions. Anne emerges as more real, more human, and more vital than ever. If you've never read this remarkable autobiography, do so. If you have read it, you owe it to yourself to read it again.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:51 -0400)

A thirteen-year-old Dutch-Jewish girl records her impressions of the two years she and seven others spent hiding from the Nazis before they were discovered and taken to concentration camps. Includes entries previously omitted.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014118275X, 0141315180, 0141032006

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,537,441 books! | Top bar: Always visible