The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank

The Diary of a Young Girl (edition 2010)

by Anne Frank, Otto H. Frank (Editor), Mirjam Pressler (Editor), Susan Massotty (Translator), Francine Prose (Introduction)

Member:SmangosBubbles
Title:The Diary of a Young Girl
Authors:Anne Frank
Other authors:Otto H. Frank (Editor), Mirjam Pressler (Editor), Susan Massotty (Translator), Francine Prose (Introduction)
Info:Everyman's Library (2010), Edition: Reprint, Hardcover, 320 pages
Collections:Your library, Keep
Tags:non-fiction, diary, holocaust, annefrank

The Diary of a Young Girl: The Definitive Edition by Anne Frank

Ruth Maier's Diary by Ruth Maier (JessamyJane)
    Mischling, Second Degree: My Childhood in Nazi Germany by Ilse Koehn (SusannainSC)
    SusannainSC: The other side of the coin: a German Jew who survived - in the Nazi Youth.
    Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Great stories of hope and survival in the face of brutality and genocide
    Hidden Letters by Deborah Slier & Ian Shine (meggyweg)
    meggyweg: Two collections of writings by two teenage victims of the Holocaust in the Netherlands.
    The Help by Kathryn Stockett (infiniteletters)
    infiniteletters: Lest we forget the lost

As the Nazi regime began sending Amsterdam Jews to concentration camps during WWII thirteen-year-old Anne Franck went into hiding with her family. They hid in a secret annex to the office building Otto Franck had owned but he had transferred all assets to one of his friends and co-workers. Three of the workers knew of the Franck's hiding place and continued to bring food, clothing and other necessities during the 2 years they remained there. The Francks were joined by another family, the Van Pels, and a dentist friend, Fritz Pfeffer. In August of 1944, just over 2 years after they went into hiding the police arrested the families after having been alerted to their presence by an anonymous tip. All would die in concentration camps except for Otto Franck.

I had preconceived notions about what this book would be like but I was completely wrong. I fully expected page after page of fear, lamentations and the wringing of hands but I was delightfully surprised at Anne's writing. She was a vivacious, lively and teenaged normal young lady who at time bordered on bratty. Writing in her diary which she called "Dear Kitty" she had no qualms about stating her opinions many of which were scathing especially towards her mother. Although Anne loved her father dearly and tolerated her sister, Margot, she often wrote of her disdain and outright dislike for her mother. I was also taken aback by her frank passages about sex and the discussions she had with the 16-year-old Peter Van Pels on the subject. Anne was certainly an early advocate of women's lib as she wrote about the inequality of the sexes and how she wished to be more than just a housewife. She had a strong faith in God and eternal optimism that the war would end and life would be as she knew it before.

More than just about any book I have read about the Holocaust this one affected me emotionally. I believe it is because reading those words of a living, breathing teenager made her real to me. To know that she died a horrible death at Bergen-Belsen concentration camp and that her body ended up in a mass grave is heartbreaking. She put a face and a life on the millions of Jews who lost their lives and I will never forget Anne or her diary.
  Ellen_R | Jan 15, 2016 |
It's really hard for me to rate and review what was a young teenagers diary. In many ways Anne comes accross as a typical teenager despite the fact that her family is in hiding for so long from the nazis. Just knowing that everyoen in the diary except Anne's father died does help bring hoem how horrible the holocaust was. ( )
  RachelNF | Jan 15, 2016 |
What a stunning read! A beautiful story from a girl with such a strong her. Her words really resonated with me. ( )
  LaPhenix | Dec 16, 2015 |
This is a book that is the first non fiction book I have ever read. It is an autobiography book of a girl during the World War II, something that always moves me. The book offers insight into the pain and suffering caused by war. The ability of human beings to survive even in the toughest conditions. The fragility of the human mind when freedom is curtailed. The cruel yet often apt way young minds mature when faced with extreme difficulties, just like diamonds. But most of all this book shows us how the mind of a young girl in a span of two years changes. The original diary was written by Anne in Dutch as letters.

The most striking feature of this book is that at the end you realise how much Anne had improved as a writer. If only she knew that her wish to be writer is already fulfilled.

Everyone should read this book. I repeat Everyone.

Read more ( )
  sougat818 | May 1, 2015 |
This is a book that I think everyone should read for it's historical significance and it's insight into the life of a girl hiding from the Nazi regime. It almost should have more stars on that basis alone. That said, I can't say that I was actually enthralled reading it. It is, after all, a teenager's diary. ( )
  carebear10712 | Jan 8, 2015 |
Her extraordinary commitment to the immediacy of individual experience in the face of crushing circumstance is precisely what has made Anne Frank's "Diary" -- since the first edition of the book appeared in the Netherlands in 1947 -- the single most compelling personal account of the Holocaust

Anne Frankprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Frank, Otto H.Editorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Frank- Fonds, Annesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Massotty, SusanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mooyaart-Doubleday, B.M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pressler, MirjamEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roosevelt, EleanorIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiesel, ElieIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Foreword: Anne Frank kept a diary from June 12, 1942, to August 1, 1944.
June 12, 1942: I hope I will be able to confide everything to you, as I have never been able to confide in anyone, and I hope you will be a great source of comfort and support.
[April 5, 1944] I don't want to have lived in vain like most people. I want to be useful or bring enjoyment to all people, even those I've never met. I want to go on living even after my death!
The Definitive Edition of Anne Frank's Diary is complete and unabridged. Earlier editions were significantly edited by her father Otto M. Frank. Please see http://www.librarything.com/topic/563... for further discussion.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553577123, Mass Market Paperback)

Anne Frank's diaries have always been among the most moving and eloquent documents of the Holocaust. This new edition restores diary entries omitted from the original edition, revealing a new depth to Anne's dreams, irritations, hardships, and passions. Anne emerges as more real, more human, and more vital than ever. If you've never read this remarkable autobiography, do so. If you have read it, you owe it to yourself to read it again.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:51 -0400)

An uncut edition of Anne Frank's diary includes entries originally omitted by her father and provides insight into Anne's relationship with her mother.

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140264736, 014118275X, 0141315180, 0141315199, 0141032006

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 102,990,092 books! | Top bar: Always visible