The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank

The Diary of a Young Girl (edition 2010)

by Anne Frank, Otto H. Frank (Editor), Mirjam Pressler (Editor), Susan Massotty (Translator), Francine Prose (Introduction)

3,192631,745 (4.19)41
Member:mashalana
Title:The Diary of a Young Girl
Authors:Anne Frank
Other authors:Otto H. Frank (Editor), Mirjam Pressler (Editor), Susan Massotty (Translator), Francine Prose (Introduction)
Info:Everyman's Library (2010), Edition: Reprint, Hardcover, 320 pages

The Diary of a Young Girl: The Definitive Edition by Anne Frank

20th century (33) Amsterdam (29) Anne Frank (58) autobiography (181) biography (181) classic (43) classics (25) coming of age (14) diary (217) Europe (14) historical (19) history (176) Holland (23) Holocaust (313) Jewish (55) Jews (35) journal (23) Judaism (26) literature (16) memoir (156) Nazis (20) Nederland (37) non-fiction (282) own (16) paperback (13) read (45) to-read (20) war (55) WWII (277) young adult (21)
    Ruth Maier's Diary: A Young Girl's Life Under Nazism by Ruth Maier (JessamyJane)
    Mischling, Second Degree: My Childhood in Nazi Germany by Ilse Koehn (SusannainSC)
    SusannainSC: The other side of the coin: a German Jew who survived - in the Nazi Youth.
    Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Great stories of hope and survival in the face of brutality and genocide
    Hidden Letters by Deborah Slier & Ian Shine (meggyweg)
    meggyweg: Two collections of writings by two teenage victims of the Holocaust in the Netherlands.
    The Help by Kathryn Stockett (infiniteletters)
    infiniteletters: Lest we forget the lost

I enjoyed reading this classic again as an adult. I once read it - probably jr. high age. The terror, poverty and isolation the Frank family went through for two years is very well represented in the 13-year old girl's diary as the Jewish family lived in hiding in a small Annex in Amsterdam hiding from the Germans. ( )
  berthacummins | May 19, 2014 |
I would reccomend this book to readers that like history and non-fictions, i love the story and how anne likes to write in her diary (the book) but the book just takes too long to read because the writing is sooooo small in the version i read ( )
  michelle666 | Oct 23, 2013 |
This is a great story of a young girl who wrote a diary during the Holocaust. This is a great interpretation of what life was like during this time. Although I think it would be for maybe a middle school level but it is still amazing. I have read this story many times and I will continue to every chance i get. I would recommend this to anyone.
  RebeccaRunning | Oct 18, 2013 |
This is an important document for understanding what happened during the Holocaust. Anne's diary gives a personal perspective to history. I have read this book several times, and it was one of the first I ever read about the Holocaust. It inspired me to do further research into the subject. Reading it again, I do think some of the topics and tone of her diary would be appreciated more by an audience closer to her age. Anne was age 13-15 when she wrote this, but it is important book to have. Read more of my thoughts about her diary on my blog. ( )
  BittyCornwell | Sep 14, 2013 |
A fost o lectură ciudată și claustrofobică pentru mine. N-am mai citit un jurnal personal niciodată. Dar nu a fost o lectură tristă cum mă aşteptam. Jurnalul conţine umor, suspans chiar şi dragoste copilărească. Tristă este soarta tragică a celor 8 din ascunziş, din Anexa Secreta, după ce au fost arestaţi ulterior.

Ediţia jurnalului citit de mine conţine şi unele intimităţi (ca în orice jurnal) iar unii adulţi ar putea fi stânjeniţi să citească fanteziile amoroase ale unui copil de 14 ani. Personal, prefer aceste incomodităţi oricărei ediţii cenzurate şi ciopârțite de editori.

Am să recomand cartea şi altora. Mie mi-a plăcut mult. ( )
  mariusgm | Aug 25, 2013 |
Her extraordinary commitment to the immediacy of individual experience in the face of crushing circumstance is precisely what has made Anne Frank's "Diary" -- since the first edition of the book appeared in the Netherlands in 1947 -- the single most compelling personal account of the Holocaust

Anne Frankprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mooyaart-Doubleday, B.M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pressler, MirjamEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roosevelt, EleanorIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiesel, ElieIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Foreword: Anne Frank kept a diary from June 12, 1942, to August 1, 1944.
June 12, 1942: I hope I will be able to confide everything to you, as I have never been able to confide in anyone, and I hope you will be a great source of comfort and support.
[April 5, 1944] I don't want to have lived in vain like most people. I want to be useful or bring enjoyment to all people, even those I've never met. I want to go on living even after my death!
The Definitive Edition of Anne Frank's Diary is complete and unabridged. Earlier editions were significantly edited by her father Otto M. Frank. Please see http://www.librarything.com/topic/563... for further discussion.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553577123, Mass Market Paperback)

Anne Frank's diaries have always been among the most moving and eloquent documents of the Holocaust. This new edition restores diary entries omitted from the original edition, revealing a new depth to Anne's dreams, irritations, hardships, and passions. Anne emerges as more real, more human, and more vital than ever. If you've never read this remarkable autobiography, do so. If you have read it, you owe it to yourself to read it again.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:39 -0400)

An uncut edition of Anne Frank's diary includes entries originally omitted by her father and provides insight into Anne's relationship with her mother.

Five editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140264736, 014118275X, 0141315180, 0141315199, 0141032006

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,159,066 books! | Top bar: Always visible