The Lightning Key: The Wednesday Tales No. 3…

The Lightning Key: The Wednesday Tales No. 3

by Jon Berkeley

Twelve-year-old Miles Wednesday goes on an expedition to reunite with his inherited Tiger’s Egg that was stolen from him by The Great Cortado and Doctor Tau-Tau. Miles, Little Softwing, and Baltinglass of Araby go through the hot desert and over the ocean in an air ship that gets set on fire. Through the whole story Miles meets with family he never knew, learns how to use his gifts (the Far Eye and the Bright Hands) and reunites with his long lost father. Meanwhile Silverpoint (a Storm angel) tries to help save Miles life from Bluehart (a Sleep angel). When Miles some how keeps on getting out of his grasp, Stillbone (another Sleep angel) helps Bluehart to end Miles, for good. Bluehart has a devious plan to rule the whole world, what is his plan? And will he succeed? Will there be a happy ending? Or will it all end up badly?

The Lightning Key was amazing! Jon Berkeley did a great job with the ending and the writing through the whole story. Any age will enjoy this book, the readers will love the adventure and the little bit of comedy that was in there. I know I did. Baltinglass and Silverpoint were the best parts of the book for me. They were both the most serious and funniest characters I ever read about. I mean who would like to get hit by lightning the third time? That’s like crazy, even with a copper helmet on! Even though that was stupid, it was very entertaining at the same time.

The Lightning key should definitely be on your to-read list!

Book Provided by HarperCollins Children’s FirstLook Progam
1 vote BookBegger | Nov 30, 2008 |
Finding Tangerine (the orange teddy bear) torn open and the Tiger’s Egg stolen, Miles Wednesday had a goal of finding the Egg, learning how to use it and then finally finding a way to get his father back into his life. The adventure begins with the help of his Song Angel friend Little, they are joined by a blind explorer, Baltinglass of Araby. The discovery that the Great Cortado and Doctor Tau-Tau are working together to keep the egg away from Miles and to learn the secrets of controlling the egg’s power makes Miles even more determined to find the information first. Miles quick mind makes plans on the spot, Baltinglass has a reason for all the crazy things he does and Little has a great heart and ability to encourage Miles in just the right way that together they may be able to solve the riddles that will release the power of the Tiger’s Egg.

Book 3 of The Wednesday Tales…..
Attention grabber from the first chapter, this is a fantastic fantasy. This story has been tagged for kids 8-12, the writing fits in that age group, except for some of the names of people and places (use your imagination to get the pronunciation). I really liked the start of each chapter with its adjective-packed and object-described first sentence that helped you remember what was happening or where they were. I read this as a stand alone, but I think some of it would have made sense sooner if I had read the previous books (Palace of Laugher & Tiger’s Egg). This book will be great for kids who like fantasy, with its great characters, and descriptions of the Realm, the tiger, the airship and each time they are confronted with Cortado and Tau-Tau. I think I will start the kids with the first of the series, but this is a great early review book, I received from HarperCollins Childrens. This books scheduled release is: 1/27/09. ( )
  onyx95 | Nov 23, 2008 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006075513X, Hardcover)

The grand finale to Miles's spectacular adventures

Miles Wednesday is suddenly at the wheel of a great voyage. Determined to recover the stolen Tiger's Egg and free the trapped soul within, Miles sets off with his Song Angel friend, Little, and the wisecracking blind explorer Baltinglass of Araby across sea and desert to the home of Miles's aunt Nura, who may be their only hope in releasing the stone's true power. Their travels are riddled with thrills and near catastrophes, but most threatening is a dark Sleep Angel who's descended from the Realm to seize the Egg or forfeit Miles's life. Will Miles crack the secrets of the Egg and stand up to the Realm before he faces grave danger? And, above all, will he ever be able to bring back his father?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:13 -0400)

Orphaned, twelve-year-old Miles Wednesday discovers some surprising things about his past when he sets out with his angel companion Little and the blind explorer Baltinglass on a quest to recover the powerful tiger's egg stolen by the evil Cortado.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,418,788 books! | Top bar: Always visible