The Curious Garden by Peter Brown

The Curious Garden (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Peter Brown

Title:The Curious Garden
Authors:Peter Brown
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2009), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 40 pages
Tags:fiction, making a difference, p-up

The Curious Garden by Peter Brown (2009)

I loved reading this book as a part of my author study project. First, the illustrations were marvelous. They were very well drawn and told such a powerful message that they could probably tell the whole story by themselves, without words. Also, the main character, Liam, was very believable because he showed independence and took an action in the community to make a huge change. (He planted plants and gardens around his industrial city). Once Liam stepped up and took on such a huge responsibility, his impact could be seen because other community members stepped up as well to help plant. ( )
  vziolk1 | Oct 3, 2016 |
I liked this book because of it’s plot, point-of-view, and illustrations.
Plot: The plot was well done. The author created the story of one small boy could make a difference in such a big city.
Point of View: The story was told in third person, which made it unbiased. The reader was able to read the story and gain the understanding that just because they are one person, they could make an influential decision that positively affects more than just themselves, but the whole city.
Illustrations: The illustrations were very thorough. It not only depicted what the reader was reading, but things that were not in the text.

Main idea: The main idea of this book is that one person can make a difference. Not only did the boy help out the railroad and the city, but also all the people who inhabited the city. ( )
  NajetAniba | Sep 26, 2016 |
I really enjoyed reading this book for a few reasons. The first reason is the illustrations. The illustrations are great! They also follow the story, which is important for readers. For example, “Over the next few months, Liam (main character) and the curious garden explored every corner of the railway.” This paragraph is followed by 4.5 pages of illustrations as to where Liam and the garden went. The second reason I enjoyed this book was the language. The language used is easy for readers to follow and comprehend. Each page has a few sentences on it which is broken up with pictures. For example, on one of the pages there is an illustration at the top of the page followed by a few sentences, then a picture, then a few more sentences, and so on. The “big idea” of the book is that anyone can do anything they put their mind to regardless of experience. Liam wasn’t a gardener but he tried his hand at it. When winter came around, he read a lot of books about how to garden and when spring started he got out there and used what he learned to help build his garden to be better than last year. ( )
  JennyRiesett | Sep 18, 2016 |
a little boy, Liam, lives in a very gray town but one day he finds a small garden on a railroad track. he takes care of the garden and it soon begins to grow. once the other townspeople see the garden, they decide to garden themselves and eventually the whole town is beautiful and filled with flowers.
5 books
  TUCC | Aug 16, 2016 |
Lovely idea, and, according to the author's note, plausible. But I dunno, something about this didn't quite engage me. Still, I do recommend sharing it with all the children you know - maybe there is a brighter future possible.

ETA: I've learned that rooftop gardens & green-spaces are succeeding. Yay! Therefore this is not a fantasy, therefore I've given the book another star. Also, I guess on some level it engaged me, because I do still think about it sometimes, over a year later. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Echoing the themes of “The Secret Garden,” it is an ecological fable, a whimsical tale celebrating perseverance and creativity, and a rousing paean, encouraging every small person and every big person that they too can nurture their patch of earth into their very own vision of Eden.
For my curious grandmother "Petey"
There one was a city without gardens or trees or greenery of any kind.

A little boy named Liam, lives in a big city that doesn't have gardens or trees.  Everyone stayed inside, but Liam could be found outside even on rainy days.  One day he found some plant that were trying to grow on some unused railroad tracks, but they needed to be taken care of.  Liam began to take care of the little garden and before long the city was one big garden....and all the people came outdoors!

One boy's quest for a greener world... one garden at a time.

While out exploring one day, a little boy named Liam discovers a struggling garden and decides to take care of it. As time passes, the garden spreads throughout the dark, gray city, transforming it into a lush, green world.

This is an enchanting tale with environmental themes and breathtaking illustrations that become more vibrant as the garden blooms. Red-headed Liam can also be spotted on every page, adding a clever seek-and-find element to this captivating picture book.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:33 -0400)

Liam discovers a hidden garden and with careful tending spreads color throughout the gray city.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,695,430 books! | Top bar: Always visible