Sinbad and Me by Kin Platt

Sinbad and Me

by Kin Platt

Steve Forrester and Sinbad the bulldog get left home alone in Hampton, NY because he failed science and has to attend summer school. He does, but we see limited anecdotes from school. The rest of the story is of him trying to find a pirate treasure to help an elderly lady, Mrs Teska, who is being bothered by criminals. In the process, he and Sinbad nearly die multiple times, even goes through the TV-required bash on the noggin (if I explained any of these events I'd have to use spoiler alerts), wards off Judo (?) chopping classmates at summer school, knows all there is to know about old architecture (needed to solve a lot of things), learns about local history, politics, coin collecting, codes and ciphers, and more. But for all that he doesn't yet realize that the police chief's daughter is his future wife.
This book is NOT PC (his folks go off to help relatives, leaving their 12-yr old son home alone; smoking pipes or cigars apparently how to tell if somebody's a good guy; in a sleepy town you don't have to lock your doors; in a small town you can trust others; etc).
This book IS the kind of book I enjoyed when I was 12. Actually, still do many years later, too. Lots of adventure, but lots of new info. No, I won't retain all those architectural terms.
Kin Platt wrote four books about Steve. The first (published 5 years earlier but takes place at age 16). I'll list in pub order:
1) The Blue Man
2) Sinbad and Me
3) The Mystery of the Witch Who Wouldn't
4) The Ghost of Hellsfire Street ( )
  jstuart888 | Jan 28, 2018 |
A very entertaining book about a boy and his dog caught up in a mystery that involves solving ciphers to find a pirates treasure. The book is out of print now. ( )
  kristanla67 | Jul 30, 2017 |
Long lost and or stolen from my childhood library, this book mirrored my life in an early 70s child-hood, of roving free in the forests and fields, adventure and imagination --and, too, danger. Adults are dangerous, some at least. And some are batty. And the world is much more fun filled than we think as adults.

Kid, dog, pirate treasures, old dears, a creepy threat... and endless summer. ( )
  krisoravec | Jan 3, 2011 |
1966 was a different world, in which parents felt free to go away for the weekend--which stretched to several weeks--leaving their twelve-year-old at home alone. Steve and his English bulldog, Sinbad, seize the opportunity to hunt for buried treasure, spurred on by a threat to Steve's friend Mrs. Teska, and by finding a series of riddles and ciphers left by the local pirate.

A fun middle-grade/YA mystery, along the lines of the Hardy Boys or the Three Investigators. ( )
  readinggeek451 | Nov 28, 2009 |

"A wonderfully imaginative blend of "buddy book" with Edgar Allan Poe's "The Gold Bug," complete with ghosties and ghoulies and big strong English bulldogs that go bump in the night. Well, only one English bulldog, but there is plenty of Sinbad to go around. Throw in some highly inventive puzzles and code breaking, a hero who is smarter than he thinks he is, a friend with a "million candlepower brain," and assorted bad guys of various levels of toughness, and you have a thrilling, funny, intricate adventure/mystery mixing ciphers, architecture and numismatics. There's nothing else quite like Kin Platt's Sinbad and Me."--Amazon.com.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,755,748 books! | Top bar: Always visible