Goddess of the Rose by P. C. Cast

Goddess of the Rose (2006)

by P. C. Cast

3201134,663 (3.81)7

I wasn't as into this storyline as much as some of the previous books in this Goddess series, but it was still pretty good. It gets off to a good start in which Mikki, a young single woman looking for love inadvertently finds herself in this other "world" in which she is a high priestess for the goddess Hecate and must tend these amazing roses. The guardian of the Realm of Roses is a man-beast like the Minotaur only he's kind of sexy and she is attracted to him for she had been dreaming of him before she came to this world. Sounds bizarre, but it works... kind of. Still, I was a bit bored with all the roses, roses, roses talk, but overall not bad. ( )
  ktleyed | Nov 2, 2013 |
very slow reading for me. the story did not seem to flow, but stuttered along. the gods were also wrong Nix was goddess of the night. I didn't really like any of the characters either. mikki was very much better than everyone, the guardian was so poor me poor me, and it was very clear from their flat characters the elements weren't important at all. ( )
  librarydanielle | Apr 1, 2013 |
A nice uncomplicated young adult fantasy. This book is a mix of beauty and the beast and greek mythology. Lots of romance and roses. ( )
  zjakkelien | Jan 4, 2013 |
I absolutely love this version of Beauty and the Beast. It is probably one of my favorites simply because of the ending when she chooses to stay with the Guardian in the Realm of the Rose where he will be the half man, half beast she fell in love with. Despite having the choice of having him return to modern day, in the form of a very handsome man, she chooses to stay with him, and accepts him for who he is.

My problem with the original tale of Beauty and the Beast has always been that he turned back into a handsome prince. I always wondered why he had to and how she could have accepted it when that wasn’t the one she fell in love with.

I also like how Miki, named after a beautiful Mikado rose, chose to sacrifice her instead of making the man she fell in love with do it, proving that some men are worth dying for in order to save them.

This steamy romance novel combines the classic fairy tale, with a new sort of danger and a small dose of gardening knowledge. It speaks of forgiveness and acceptance and despite the classic happily ever after it had a wondrous twist that would have any reader clapping their hands in a giddy delight. ( )
  DarkAngel10106 | Oct 28, 2011 |
What I Loved
Series But An Independent Novel
This is a re-read for me, I love these books so much. What I love the most about these books is they have the same theme, modern woman is needed to help a Greek mythological character god, goddess, event etc. The books are all connected in that aspect but they are their own individual story in one novel, no having to wait years to find out if the pair of lovers ends up together. I love the individual novels at times, it is a nice break from all the long series that you are waiting for to be finished.
Story
A modern version of Beauty and the Beast, but with the Greek goddess Hecate, a modern woman and the fearsome minotaur all rolled into one amazing romantic tale. Oh and you can't forget all the lovely roses and beautiful dreams that pay a major part in the story.
Characters
Mikado Empousai aka Mikki (Beauty): All the Goddess Summoning series have the same theme for the female characters 30ish age females that have had experience and knowledge to help them with their trials that they have to face through the story. Mikki is a great character, she isn't physically strong, but mentally she is very capable, loving and caring.
The Guardian aka the Minotaur aka Asterius (Beast): What to say about him, he is the beast. A fearsome creature to behold, but with a need and desire to be loved by someone. Throughout the book you feel so much sorry for this poor beast, you learn about his ever neglected sad life and you just want to be the one to love him. But he also presents this raw animal strength that Mikki is completely drawn to.
Romance
The book does get a bit hot and steamy with the pair.

What I Didn't Like
There is nothing I dodn't like in this book. I completely adore this story, this version of Beauty and the Beast.

Recommendation
Every romantic reader, fantasy addict and retold fairy tale lover has got to read this tale. Even though it is part of the Goddess Summoning series, it is a complete stand alone book. The rest of the series doesn't need to be read before this book. This is the way with all of the books, some of the books will connect a little more but not much. The only connection this book made to any other the other books is that it makes a reference to the pastry shop owned by the the character in The Goddess of Spring. ( )
  Kr15tina | Jul 23, 2011 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425208915, Mass Market Paperback)

When modern-day Mikki ends up in the strange Realm of the Rose, Hecate has been waiting for her. So too has her gorgeous guardian beast, who soon has Mikki swooning. But to save the realm, Mikki will have to sacrifice her life-giving blood.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:01 -0400)

In this version of Beauty and the beast, Mikki Empousai is transported into the Realm of the Rose, whose guardian beast and other inhabitants slumber from a curse of the realm's ruler, the goddess Hecate. Mikki learns that she is a priestess and that the goddess expects her to remove the curse.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,768,908 books! | Top bar: Always visible