Sins and Needles by Monica Ferris

Sins and Needles (2006)

by Monica Ferris

Hmmm, I didn't see that ending coming. Next please. ( )
  cougargirl1967 | Dec 14, 2014 |
Betsy and her crowd of friends and employees are involved in another murder. This one is very different in the fact that most of the story is told without Betsy being there to 'sleuth'. I enjoyed the book a great deal but about half-way through it I realized that I was missing Betsy's viewpoint on some of the story. She ultimately solves the mystery so it wasn't that she was totally absent but she was not the center of the story. It was well done and a little different. Sometimes different is good and it worked here.

I'll keep reading the series and am looking forward to see how the next in the series plays out. ( )
  bookswoman | Mar 31, 2013 |
When Lucille Jones walks into Crewel World, owner Betsy Devonshire mistakes her for Jan Henderson, a regular customer. As it turns out, Lucille is visiting from Texas to locate her birth mother, who left her at a Minneapolis orphanage. Jan and look-alike Lucille meet at a knitting class at Crewel world and immediately hit it off. Lucille is certain and Jan suspects they are related, but how? Then Jan stops by to pick her Great Aunt Edith Hanraty up for church and instead finds the nonagenarian dead in her bed. It looks like her death was from natural causes until a mortician finds a slim knitting needle embedded in Aunt Edith’s brain.

It turns out Aunt Edith, who had absolutely no use for the male of the species, made a will which earmarks most of her estate for university scholarships for women, with the remainder going to women relatives who are connected through the female line. That means Jan and her mother Susan stand to inherit millions of dollars, while Jan’s two sons, Susan’s brother Stewart and his four daughters get nothing. And if Lucille and her daughter turn out to be related to Aunt Edith through a female line, the remainder of the estate will be split four ways instead of two. Jan insists that no one in the family would have murdered Aunt Edith and asks Betsy, an experienced amateur sleuth, to help prove it.

All of the books in this series are solid – good stories, top-notch characters and solid and seemingly effortless writing. I thought Sins and Needles, the tenth in this very popular series, was the best of the bunch. I’m particularly fond of mysteries that involve delving far into the past to solve a puzzle or crime. And next to reading, my favorite pastime is genealogy – so Sins and Needles was tailor-made for me.

Betsy Devonshire and store manager Godwin DuLac play somewhat secondary roles in Sins and Needles, something that may disappoint their fans. Readers are, instead, privy to the ins-and-outs of the intricate relationships between Aunt Edith’s heirs (and non-heirs), very interesting characters all. And Betsy, as always, plays a key role in solving the mystery. The resolution of Aunt Edith’s murder was particularly satisfying and uncovering the family secrets just added to the fun.

By Diana. First published in the Cozy Library in 2006.
  NewsieQ | Jan 21, 2011 |
Acquired via BookCrossing 22 Feb 2009 - from Caroley

The last book I have in the Betsy Devonshire series, though I think there is one more and I'll be picking that up soonish, what with all the birthday Amazon vouchers...

As one reviewer said, this is "less gripping" than some of the others, however I enjoyed the slightly slower and more expanded pace. A woman shows up in Excelsior who has a remarkable resemblance to one of Betsy's regular shoppers. When an elderly relative of the original woman dies, and the "secret twin" seems to stand to inherit, questions are raised all over the place, inside and outside the family. A good plot and while again I did guess whodunnit it was well done and a fun read. ( )
  LyzzyBee | Jan 21, 2010 |
Well, I read this once before and forgot I read it. So I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. LOL! No, I read these as light, easy reads. Something I can pick up quickly even while the kids are being loud and crazy!
I love Ferris's books though. They are cute and fun and love that they revolve around knitting/needlework/etc! ( )
  Brandie | Apr 1, 2009 |

Owner of the Crewel World needlework shop and part-time sleuth, Betsy Devonshire must help clear Jan Henderson's name when her wealthy aunt is found dead, courtesy of a double-zero knitting needle. Just like the kind Jan knits with. And an embroidered map of Lake Minnetonka, found among the aunt's effects, could lead Betsy to a buried treasure-or to a secret that someone would kill to keep buried.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,375,200 books! | Top bar: Always visible