Golden Surrender by Heather Graham

Heather Graham is Featured Author for October at RRRC group. Picking the book to read was a tough choice since she mostly writes romance suspense novels now. So I dug out one of her older historical romances from the 80s.

I was sure this will be a classical bodice-riper that were so popular in the 80s so I was pleasantly surprised that, although there was some actual bodice ripping, the heroine was not naive virgin but hot-headed and kick-ass girl that is fighting for her right to party.

The rating would be bigger if I did not have trouble with the [a:Heather Graham|30819|Heather Graham|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1258112542p2/30819.jpg]'s writing style. The descriptions of nature and characters were sometimes muddled and boring, no matter that the pages were dripping with action.
Also, some of the places in plot were not enough explained (at least for me). For example:all part of the story connected to Erin being a leader of Irish rebels (I think they called her Golden warriores). ( )
  bookwormdreams | Apr 10, 2013 |
Erin Mac Aed, daughter of the Irish king. Erin, is the one of the few of her siblings that has remained unmarried. Erin is also a favorite of her father, who has spoiled her throughout the years. Erin has learned how to fight with swords and the like from her brothers, whom she loves dearly. When the Lord of Wolves invades Ireland, she encounters him and her hatred for the man deepens, for all those on her side that have been killed, a couple that were dear to her and she blames Olaf for it. Now a year later, her father demands that she marry Olaf of Norway, so they can have a powerful alliance against the Danes. However Erin hates having to join with her enemy, but the passion the Olaf ignite's in Erin weakens her resolve and steals into her heart. Golden Surrender is the first installment in the Viking Saga written by Heather Graham. I have read only historicals from this author, and I love them, and Golden Surrender is my favorite so far from her books that she has written. I have read Golden Surrender before but it has been a while, and since I saw this on the library shelf, I decided to pick it up since I was in the mood for this type of story. Its a powerfully written love story, back in the medieval age around 900 A.D. I find that there aren't that many books that are written in this era, and so I love to read every one that I can get my hands on, because I find it so fascinating, especially the Viking people. Throughout this story, we learn what kind of people they were, even though they could very well be barbarians, they had a passion for life and for their beliefs.There was only one problem I had with the story, was Erin, her character, it just seemed to me that she was too strong, and had so much hatred within her and treated Olaf pretty horribly, but as the story progressed I loved seeing the change within her. Both of these characters are stubborn, loyal and strong personalities, so they definitely clash especially at the beginning of the story. But as the love between them depends, so does this passionate love story. Golden Surrender is on my list of favorite romances, and one well worth reading for any romance lover. ( )
  addictofromance | Mar 1, 2013 |
I loved this book. It was my first time reading Heather Graham and she quickly has become one of my favorite authors. Prince Olaf, Lord of the Wolves, is handsome and deadly. Princess Erin is beautiful and bewitching. He being Norse and she being Irish make them bitter enemies. Ireland in 848AD is a time in Irish history that includes invasion by the Vikings. Olaf is a blond haired, blue eyed, muscular mass of manhood. And he fights like the wolf he is named after. Erin is a dark haired, green eyed beauty who can wield a sword good enough to beat her brothers. When Erin was younger she witnessed Olaf's taking of an Irish village and to say she hates the man is an understatement. Olaf, during a separate invasion, lost the love of his life during battle.Erin and Olaf first meet when he is seriously injured and she finds him half dead on a riverbank. This tumultuous meeting sets the stage for a future relationship and I have to say the scene of this first meeting is incredible.Erin and Olaf are eventually put into each other's lives for political reasons and their relationship will go through stages of hate, distrust and, really, love.I recommend this book. Great read that kept me up way too late. ( )
  rainrunner | Feb 15, 2011 |
Can't understand the Character's motives and emotions. One minute they are stong, the next weak. I thought the girl was a warrior. She can't even fight to save her life. ( )
  maita | Aug 28, 2007 |
From BackCover:
TWO BOLD WARRIORS, TWO PROUD LANDS, UNITED BY PASSION--AND REVENGE

PRINCE OLAF OF NORWAY-Lord of the Wolves, the golden Viking warrior who came in his dragon ship to forge a great kingdom in the Emerald Isle.

PRINCESS ERIN-Daughter of the Irish High King, the ebony-haired beauty who swore bitter vengeance on the legendary Norseman who had brought death and destruction to her beloved homeland.

Yet, in the great Norse and Irish alliance against the invading Danes, it was her own father who gave her in marriage to her most hated enemy. Bewitched by Olaf's massive strength, seduced by his tawny power, still Erin vowed that neither the wrath of his sword nor the fire of his kiss would sway the allegiance of her proud and passionate heart. ( )
  nikel27 | Aug 3, 2007 |

TWO BOLD WARRIORS, TWO PROUD LANDS, UNITED BY PASSION - AND REVENGE.
PRINCE OLAF OF NORWAY - Lord of the Wolves, the golden Viking warrior who came in his dragon ship to forge a great kingdom in the Emerald Isle.
PRINCESS ERIN - Daughter of the Irish High King, the ebony-haired beauty who swore bitter vengeance on the legendary Norseman who had brought death and destruction to her beloved homeland.

Prince Olaf of Norway: Lord of the Wolves, the golden Viking warrior who came in his dragon ship to forge a great kingdom in the Emerald Isle. Princess Erin: daughter of the Irish High King, the ebony-haired beauty who swore bitter vengeance on the legendary Norseman who had brought death and destruction to her beloved homeland. Yet, in the great Norse and Irish alliance against the invading Danes, it was her own father who gave her in marriage to her most hated enemy. Bewitched by Olaf's massive strength, seduced by his power, still Erin vowed that neither the wrath of his sword nor the fire of his kiss would sway the allegiance of her proud and passionate heart.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,116,439 books! | Top bar: Always visible