Spacetime Archaeology (Planetary, Book 4) by…

Spacetime Archaeology (Planetary, Book 4) (edition 2010)

by Warren Ellis, John Cassaday (Illustrator)

Member:G_Riv
Title:Spacetime Archaeology (Planetary, Book 4)
Authors:Warren Ellis
Other authors:John Cassaday (Illustrator)
Info:WildStorm (2010), Paperback, 224 pages
Collections:Read, Unowned
Rating:***
Tags:comic

Planetary: Spacetime Archaeology by Warren Ellis

English (5)  French (1)  All languages (6)
Planetary is not a long series, but it is so densely plotted that it could easily have been stretched out for several more volumes. In fact, that's pretty much my only disappointment with the series. The defeat of Dowling and Suskind felt especially rushed (although it made perfect sense), and I wouldn't have minded seeing Snow and his team have to deal with each of them seperately.

That said, the book's revelations feel completely organic and well-thought-out, ending the series without needing to completely kill off its world. I can't wait to revisit it now that I've seen the bigger picture. ( )
  jawalter | Nov 18, 2012 |
The fourth and final collection of Planetary comics. I was really astonished by what a satisfying wrap-up this is. Everything finally comes together and... Well, to say that it makes sense is to completely misunderstand the nature of the exercise, but it does all hang together surprisingly well. One major point does get resolved so suddenly that I couldn't avoid a bit of a "Wait, that was it?" reaction, but even that kind of works in context, and everything around it made me happy enough that I wouldn't be particularly inclined to complain, anyway. Also, there's beautiful artwork, nifty plot twists, inventive science fictional environments, freaky drug trips, weird (but based-on-real-science!) physics, fun flashes of humor, still more bizarre twists on familiar stories, and, through it all, the exhilarating sense that there is a profound and wonderful strangeness lying just below the surface of the world, ready to break through at every opportunity. I'm so glad I stuck with this series, after a slightly uncertain start. ( )
1 vote bragan | Apr 29, 2012 |
There's a point in Ellis's career where he just loses my interest. A point where the ratio of interesting narrative works to long-winded lectures about whatever fringe theory he's encountered recently just drops past a point I can tolerate. Planetary Vol. 4, particularly when compared to the earlier 3 volumes, does a good job of illustrating that change.

Cassady's art is still as gorgeous as ever, but the story's style has changed, and frankly I'm just not as interested as I used to be. ( )
  g026r | Dec 2, 2010 |
This is a great ending to one of my favorite comic series of all time. The final showdown between Elijah and The Four was a bit anticlimactic, but that was probably inevitable after the enormous buildup that's been leading to that point from the beginning. (I also would have loved to see more of the Planetary version of Darkseid, but that's just the fanboy in me nitpicking.) Great action, incredible artwork by John Cassaday, and very interesting ideas all come together beautifully. ( )
  drewandlori | Nov 3, 2010 |
I think this is suffering from my high expectations; as fans of the series know, there's been a long delay since Vol. 3, and I've had the time to get pretty darned excited.

It's good. There's interesting writing, new situations, drama, excitement, and Cassaday's gorgeous art.

However. I found the resolution of the plot anticlimactic, and unfortunately I'd guessed the twist at the end ages ago. I also found myself hoping for more character development of Jakita and Snow than I received. It's to Ellis' credit that he's made me so interested in those characters, but I felt frustrated and kept at arm's length through the second half of the book. However, I enjoyed The Drummer's backstory.

Still, not many people can pull off this kind of thing: homage, speculative fiction, and adventure story. I think I would have been far happier with the book if it hadn't been the last in the series. ( )
1 vote Cynara | Mar 4, 2010 |

Warren Ellisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cassaday, JohnIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

This is it - the long-awaited fourth and final graphic novel collecting the adventures of Elijah Snow, a powerful, hundred year old man, Jakita Wagner, an extremely powerful but bored woman, and The Drummer, a man with the ability to communicate with machines. Infatuated with tracking down evidence of super-human activity, these mystery archaeologists of the late 20th Century uncover unknown paranormal secrets and histories, such as a World War II supercomputer that can access other universes, a ghostly spirit of vengeance, and a lost island of dying monsters.In this volume, the team encounters an abandoned alien spacecraft -- but will the heroes beat their rival, Jacob Greene of the villainous "Four," to the ship? Then, Elijah Snow begins to pull back from his allies, acting increasingly in secret. Will he be able to draw the last of the Four out of hiding, and can he act before his teammates lose their faith in him?… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,374,094 books! | Top bar: Always visible