The Dragon's Boy by Jane Yolen

The Dragon's Boy

by Jane Yolen

A book about young King Aurthur (long before he knew he would one day be king). Young and small, and picked on by the other boys in the castle, Arthur goes out one day into the fens looking for a run-away hound. Instead, he finds something quite amazing . . . a dark cave, with someone interesting living inside.

It's not a bad story, but I never found myself really captivated by it. My son and I began reading it together, but it was awkward to read aloud, and my son wasn't interested enough for us to finish it together. (I did finish the book on my own, because it's a fairly quick read). On the whole, decent, but not anything special. ( )
  herebedragons | May 3, 2008 |
In this book a boy named Artos was taken in by Sir Ector and his family. He is raised by them and he finds a dragon that he at first is afraid of, but then develops friendship with.

I thought that this book was hard to stay interested in. I kept forgetting what happened and to start over from the beginning.

I think that I could use this book in the class to show kids that courage is very important. Even though Artos was scared of the dragon, he showed great courage and overcame that fear.
  linseymomof2 | Mar 3, 2008 |

Yolen, JaneAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Acuña, EdCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hopkins, JoyceTypographysecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For David, in memory of our months in Scotland, and Heidi, Adam, and jason, who stayed at home, getting wisdom.
It was on a day in early spring, with the clouds scudding across a gray sky, promising a rain that never quite fell, that Artos found the cave.

"In order to gain wisdom, you must learn to read inter linea, between the lines."

Artos doesn't know who his parents are, just that kindly Sir Ector and Lady Marion took him into their castle when he was a baby. Though Sir Ector raises him as one of his sons, Artos never feels he truly belongs. The other boys of the castle -- Cai, Bedvere, and Lancot -- make fun of him and never invite him to join in their games.

One day, while searching for Sir Ector's missing brachet hound in the fens around the castle, Artos stumbles across a musty cave in a hill where a very old dragon lives. Though he is afraid, he is drawn to the beast by both the dragon's knowledge and his promise to teach Artos the game of wisdom. With the dragon's guidance, Artos begins the slow journey to his destiny-one that he never dreamed could belong to him.

Notable 1990 Children's Trade Books in Social Studies (NCSS/CBC)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:15 -0400)

Young Arthur meets a dragon and comes to accept him as a friend and mentor.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,944,240 books! | Top bar: Always visible