An Echo in the Bone by Diana Gabaldon

An Echo in the Bone (2009)

by Diana Gabaldon

4,1251341,691 (4.25)1 / 183

English (127)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  All languages (134)
This is a combined review of "A Breath of Snow and Ashes" and An Echo in the Bone"...

Diana Gabaldon outdid herself in book 6 of the "Outlander Series". Just when you think things couldn’t get any more dramatic, mysterious, adventurous, romantic, or humorous A Breath of Snow and Ashes brings all those things together in a stunning plot.

Prior to the "Outlander Series", I don’t believe I’ve ever read a novel about family life in America prior to the civil war. Gabaldon does approximately 2 years of research for each book, which enables her to present a realistic view of life during that historical time. It’s the primary factor that helps her “time travel” theme endure.

Be prepared for an abundance of crime in A Breath of Snow and Ashes. Return to a world of self-imposed law and order. There is a sheriff in every town, but towns are few and far between. Many murders are not even investigated, criminals run free or are found guilty by circumstantial evidence. Murderers are hanged for public display or frequently lynched by a mob… an accepted custom.

The opening scene takes place in 1773 and the colonies are on the cusp of the Revolutionary war. The Fraser clan is biding time to announce political loyalty to either side. So are the Indians. And then the war starts.

Pregnancies, weddings, funerals, kidnappings... right up to the final page the reader is avidly entertained.

Did Gabaldon write this book thinking it would be the last of the series? Possibly. All the accumulated mysteries of the series are solved in "A Breath of Snow and Ashes". What happened to Steve Bonnett? Does William ever find out he’s really Jamie’s son?
Why did Ian leave the Indian village and return to Fraser’s Ridge? Where is the gold? Do Jamie and Claire really die in a fire in January of 1776? Is it possible to travel back to real time? Read it and find out.

But it turns out the series does continue. Two more books have already been published and one more is on the way. Claire and Jamie are like old friends now and I was looking forward to seeing what happens next. Unfortunately, the next book "An Echo in the Bone" is repetitive of themes, and so tedious I could not finish... more agonizing over the same old issues, more medical emergencies, and another kidnapping. I had hoped once the Revolutionary War started there would be some good descriptions of Jamey and Clare’s struggle to survive. Instead, new British characters are added (associates of Lord John Gray) that are of no interest. I quit halfway through because the plot seemed to be going nowhere, and time was at a standstill. Diana Gabaldon seems to be out of fresh ideas.

For me therefore, the series ended with "A Breath of Snow and Ashes".

"A Breath of Snow and Ashes" - Rated 5 Stars October 11, 2017
"An Echo in the Bone" - Rated 1 Star - March 7, 2018 ( )
  LadyLo | Jun 10, 2018 |
This is the last book (so far) in the series, and I read them all in a row. I loved the detail and I hated the detail. I wished for more character story line time and less history. But at the same time, all of the historical details gave me things to think about. I have been catching myself thinking (and sometimes saying), "well, in the eighteenth century this would be so much harder ..." So obviously it has been meaningful to my life - and makes me glad I live in the 21st century with all of it's attendant problems. I'll be glad to see the new book when it comes out next year, but I'm definitely ready for a change from Jamie and Claire et al. ( )
  TheBibliophage | Mar 20, 2018 |
This had so many different things happening bouncing back and forth in time with Claire and Jaime in the 1700's and Roger and Brianna in the 1900's. Lot of danger with war and evil people. A couple times I wanted to cry. What a great addition to the series. ( )
  MHanover10 | Feb 4, 2018 |
Wow, what a book. I really struggled with the first half of this book. I don't know if it was my mood or what. But once I got into the second half, things really started to pick up and I didn't mind the chapters centered on William and Lord John so much. They really started to merge with the other characters and by the end, I couldn't put the book down I was so engrossed! I was planning to take a bit of a breather before diving in to the next book but the way the last quart of this book went, I really need to find out what happens next. ( )
  pennma05 | Jan 29, 2018 |
Done! I can finally stop lugging this heavy tome around with me wherever I go. It was however good for impressing elementary school children with how much I could read and killing bugs. I started this in May of 2016 and I am closing out December 2017 having finally finished it. I did not read it continuously but picked it up and went through it in spurts.

There is no way I could possible remember everything that happened in this book but I have a few thoughts. The general purpose of this book was to move the Frasers closer to the American Revolutionary War. The first part of this book was slow because there was way too much Lord John and William, two characters I care the least about. I could also skip all of the gruesome details of Claire's many surgeries. I get annoyed with Gabaldon always relying on coincidence to get random characters to run in to each other. It is a whole big world and yet two characters happen to meet in the middle of the woods, fancy that! It happens over and over again. The pacing of this book was also terrible. Hundreds of pages go by with nothing happening and then the last 100 pages are packed to the point that they feel rushed in order to set up the next book. A major reveal to a character about their parents has been building up since book 2 and it got so little mention here as to be an afterthought.

One of the things I love about the Starz series is that they are able to distill out all of the extraneous stuff from the book and give the fans the Claire and Jaime they really want. I haven't come this far to give up now so I am sure the next book is somewhere in my future. Maybe when my shoulder heals from lugging the last book around. ( )
  arielfl | Dec 22, 2017 |
To all my good dogs:

Penny Louise, Tipper John, John, Flip, Archie and Ed, Tippy, Spots, Emily, Ajax, Molly, Gus, Homer and JJ
The Pirate's head had disappeared.

Readers have been waiting with bated breath for the seventh volume in bestselling author Diana Gabaldon’s epic Outlander saga — a masterpiece of historical fiction featuring Jamie and Claire, from one of the genre’s most popular and beloved authors.

Jamie Fraser, erstwhile Jacobite and reluctant rebel, knows three things about the American rebellion: the Americans will win, unlikely as that seems in 1778; being on the winning side is no guarantee of survival; and he’d rather die than face his illegitimate son — a young lieutenant in the British Army — across the barrel of a gun. Fraser’s time-travelling wife, Claire, also knows a couple of things: that the Americans will win, but that the ultimate price of victory is a mystery. What she does believe is that the price won’t include Jamie’s life or happiness — not if she has anything to say.

Claire’s grown daughter Brianna, and her husband, Roger, watch the unfolding of Brianna’s parents’ history — a past that may be sneaking up behind their own family.

This seventh novel in author Diana Gabaldon's immensely popular Outlander saga takes listeners on a thrilling journey to 1777 America. Jamie Fraser knows from his time-traveling wife Claire that, no matter how unlikely it seems, America will win the Revolutionary War. But fighting for the eventual winner is no guarantee of safety. And worse still, the possibility of pointing a weapon at his own son, a young officer in the British army, haunts Jamie's every thought. In the relative safety of the 20th century, their daughter, Brianna, and her husband experience the unfolding drama of the war through Claire's letters. But the letters can't warn them of the threat that's rising out of the past to overshadow their family.… (more)

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,986,662 books! | Top bar: Always visible