dismiss

The Pickwick Papers (Modern Library…

The Pickwick Papers (Modern Library Classics) (edition 2003)

by Charles Dickens, Richard Russo (Introduction)

Mr. Samuel Pickwick, retired business man and confirmed bachelor, is determined that after a quite life of enterprise the time has come to go out into the world. Together with the other members of the Pickwick Club: Tracy Tupman, Augustus Snodgrass and Nathaniel Winkle, the portly innocent embarks on a series of hilariously comic adventures. But can Pickwick retain his good will towards his fellow humans once he discovers the evils of the world?… (more)
Member:jpmuzzall
Title:The Pickwick Papers (Modern Library Classics)
Authors:Charles Dickens
Other authors:Richard Russo (Introduction)
Info:Modern Library (2003), Edition: Modern Library Paperback, Paperback, 816 pages
Collections:Read in 2010

The Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens

Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra (keremix)
    Master Humphrey's Clock and A Child's History of England by Charles Dickens (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Pickwick and the Wellers appear again in this collected serial, in a framing story supporting numerous short works as well as the novels The Old Curiosity Shop and Barnaby Rudge.
    Nicholas Nickleby by Charles Dickens (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both books are early Dickens' novels and written in an episodic, picaresque style. Although Nicholas Nickleby is more plot-driven than The Pickwick Papers and contains some darker themes, both works are fundamentally happy Dickens novels and readers who enjoy one would probably enjoy the other.… (more)
    London Lavender by E. V. Lucas (Porua)
    Porua: E.V. Lucas’ London Lavender is the only book I can think of that comes close to the sprawling labyrinth of various narratives and its narrator's humorous but good-natured commentary about it all of Charles Dickens' The Pickwick Papers. I certainly had the same contented feeling after reading London Lavender that I did with The Pickwick Papers.… (more)
    The Darling Buds of May by H. E. Bates (thorold)
    thorold: Pop Larkin and Mr Pickwick are both Londoners who find rural idylls in Kent, and both big fans of tomato sauce, but there's also a deeper connection between these two great comic celebrations of the pleasures of lower-middle-class "vulgarity".

English (89)  Spanish (7)  Italian (4)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  Czech (1)  All languages (104)
Dickens' second important book (after Sketches by Boz), and first novel, The Pickwick Papers is a real delight. A comic travelogue that reminds me of a cross between Pynchon's Mason and Dixon and a particularly silly Jeeves short story, it's a book in which only the most minor things go wrong, characters' lives are primarily about meditation and misunderstanding, and one can easily understand why it caused a sensation in 1836, and how Dickens came about at just the right time to capture the public spirit with his own twist on the sentimental literature of the era. I probably wouldn't recommend this for newcomers to Dickens, who should go on to read his next work, Oliver Twist, but once you know you enjoy works from this era, this is a kind of warm sip of brandy for the soul. ( )
  therebelprince | Apr 27, 2020 |
Double volume Wartime blurb from BBC on back flap, London calling overseas ( )
  ME_Dictionary | Mar 19, 2020 |
I think Pickwick is one of the best characters Dickens created. The lovable Sam Weller was fascinating. The predicaments are believable and the solutions all perfect. However, I still feel sorry for Mrs. Bardle. ( )
  LindaLeeJacobs | Feb 15, 2020 |
This is Charles Dickens' first novel. I'm planning to read all of his work so I decided to go chronologically and began with this one. We must remember that every chapter was published periodically and not as a complete work in one volume like we have in our days. So one can notice that the story has its movement and cuts depending on that periods.
I'm not a native English speaker but got quite a good level about reading in this language. Anyway I had to spend a lot of time searching for some words in the dictionary. Maybe I'm not the only one trying to understand the meaning of some British English expressions from 19th century. And I have to add this way of speaking of Sam and people from his social environment that made more difficult to understand numerous fragments. Never seen this way of speaking written before.
A lot of times I felt like watching a comedy series or a soap opera. Maybe it's because of this periodically publication. There were fun and interesting scenes. But between them there some really boring ones. Inside some chapters we have tales and poetry, I didn't like them. Telling a story about "city life" of people from 18th century's England is not such a wonderful thing. But we can figure the social costumes, the legal system and the social issues in the early 1800's that Dickens experienced in his jobs. Mr. Pickwick can be quite an interesting character with good values and an important fatherly figure for many of the other characters. Friendship and loyalty is well noticed.
It took me several weeks to finish this book. The edition I read from Penguin with an introduction and notes by Mark Wormald, and a Dickens chronology by Stephen Wall were useful, it also has a couple of useful appendices.

I hope the next Dickens' books would be more interesting if not exciting.

[Para mis compañeros hispanohablantes diré que no es una obra muy digerible si tu nivel de inglés es bastante limitado (y si es que decides leerla en inglés). Sólo vi una edición en español que es traducción de Benito Perez Galdos pero que no he leído y que no está en mis planes cercanos leer, así que no puedo opinar del texto en español.] ( )
  caztor | Dec 9, 2019 |
A clever way of arranging incongruous short anecdotes and stories. I see why this caught the attention of the public in the day. Light reading (though quite long), but enjoyable for all that. ( )
  slmr4242 | Oct 16, 2019 |

Prebble, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, RichardIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Seymour, RobertIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tull, PatrickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Veer, Bas van derIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wormald, MarkEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This
The best edition of my books
is, of right, inscribed to my dear friend
John Forster,
Biographer of Oliver Goldsmith,
in affectionate acknowledgment
of his
counsel, sympathy, and faithful friendship
during
my whole literary life.
To Mr. Serjeant Talfourd, M.P. etc. etc.

My Dear Sir,
If I had not enjoyed the happiness of your private friendship, I should still have dedicated this work to you, as a slight and most inadequate acknowledgment of the inestimable services you are rendering to the literature of your country, and of the lasting benefits you will confer upon the authors of this and succeeding generations, by securing to them and their descendants a permanent interest in the copyright of their works.

... Accept the dedication of this book, my dear sir, as a mark of my warmest regard and esteem - as a memorial of the most gratifying friendship I have ever contracted, and of some of the pleasantest hours I have ever spent - as a token of my fervent admiration of every fine quality of your head and heart - as an assurance of the truth and sincerity with which I shall ever be,

My dear Sir,
Most faithfully and sincerely yours,
Charles Dickens.

48 Doughty Street,
September 27, 1837.
The first ray of light which illumines the gloom, and converts into a dazzling brilliancy that obscurity in which the earlier history of the public career of the immortal Pickwick would appear to be involved, is derived from the perusal of the following entry in the Transactions of the Pickwick Club, which the editor of these papers feels the highest pleasure in laying before his readers, as a proof of the careful attention, indefatigable assiduity, and nice discrimination, with which his search among the multifarious documents confided to him has been conducted.
There are very few moments in a man's existence when he experiences so much ludicrous distress, or meets with so little charitable commiseration, as when he is in pursuit of his own hat.
It is an established axiom that 'every bullet has its billet.' If it apply in an equal degree to shot, those of Mr. Winkle were unfortunate foundlings, deprived of their natural rights, cast loose upon the world, and billeted nowhere.
This is the main work The Pickwick Papers. Please do NOT combine with part 1 or part 2.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140436111, 0141199105

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,652,000 books! | Top bar: Always visible