The 80/20 Principle: The Secret to Success…

The 80/20 Principle: The Secret to Success by Achieving More with Less

by Richard Koch

A lazy man's excuse to only concentrate on 20% of the products to increase productivity. ( )
  Jason.Ong.Wicky | Oct 9, 2018 |
Honestly, I've heard the concept before, so nothing was really new for me.

Like Koch says 80% of the 'value', from 20% of the effort (give or take a 15% or so).

So do yourself a favor and read the title, that is 95% of the books idea. The rest of the book gave examples in different aspects of use. Personal, work, business, world population, etc. Although I have to say for a visual learner I'm sure the examples would be largely beneficial. ( )
  momma182 | Jun 23, 2015 |
This book really is two halves that don't really work together all that well. However, if you read the 20% that makes sense to you, you can still get some good value out of this read, The first half of the book explains the principle (most people are aware of it by now) and shows how to apply it to your business, increase profits and revenue and decrease expenses. Detailed case studies are reviewed and step by step applications to apply it to your business are given. Most of the information applies to a private business, so those in public positions (hospital staff, government workers) will not be able to apply those examples directly, but can still take a lot of value from the examples and principles shown.

However, the second half of the book becomes as theoretical as the first half is analytical. You will read phrases like "Use all the willpower at your disposal to make yourself happy. Construct the right stories about yourself--and believe them." If this kind of drivel is helpful to you, you can skip the first part and read the second. Otherwise, the value added in the last 100 pages is most definitely not in the 20% of the book that should be studied. ( )
  burningskulls | Oct 19, 2010 |
Ironically, the first part of this book did not impress me. However, I came upon the key 20% later on and can speak much more highly of the work now. The writing itself is typical for this genre of business book with the work "principle" in it. Still, the author takes a basic concept and expounds on it in such a way that should make any reader wonder why they haven't applied such common sense before. Koch states that this concept has never been covered in a book specifically dedicated to that purpose, even though there are a number of other books and papers involving the topic (the works about quality and other re-statements of the 80/20 principle are the most obvious). Koch comes across as somewhat simplistic at first, seeming to think the 80/20 is an exact ratio. He then redeems himself by explaining that this is not the case and that the "imbalance" principle can vary from just over 50/50 all the way to 99.9/.1. After the background history concerning Vilfredo Pareto and the chapter on economics and business applications, the author gets down to the business of demanding people put this to work in their lives. ( )
  jpsnow | Apr 12, 2008 |
The 80/20 Principle
-- that 80 per cent of results flow from just 20 per cent of the causes – is the one true principle of highly effective people and organizations.
At the heart of the 80/20 Principle is a counter-intuitive yet prevalent fact – the profound imbalance, lopsidedness and lack of correspondence between effort and reward – what scientists call non-linearity. The universe is wonky, yet we still expect an equal ration of cause to effect. When things don't work out this way, we often refuse to notice. Our blinkers subvert our effectiveness.
The 80/20 Principle can transform your life, your organization, our society: not by applying a panacea, but by working with rather than against the grain of the universe.
  rajendran | Feb 10, 2008 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385491743, Paperback)

In 1897, Italian economist Vilfredo Pareto, in his study of the patterns of wealth and income, observed that the distribution of wealth was predictably unbalanced. He first discovered this pattern in 19th-century England and found it to be the same for every country and time period he studied. Over the years, Pareto's observation has become known as the 80/20 principle.

Now in 1998, Richard Koch takes a fresh look at the 80/20 principle and finds that the basic imbalance observed by Pareto 100 years ago can be found in almost every aspect of modern life. Whether you're investing in stocks, analyzing company sales, or looking at the performance of a Web site, you'll find that it's usually 20 percent that produces 80 percent of the total result. This means 80 percent of what you do may not count for much. Koch helps you to identify that 20 percent and shows you how you can get more out of your business, and life, for less.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:13 -0400)

Based on the principle that twenty percent of our effort produces eighty percent of our results, the author suggests how to achieve more with less time, sweat, and resources

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,369,567 books! | Top bar: Always visible