Deathbringer by Bryan Smith

Deathbringer

by Bryan Smith

First, the positive stuff. The book was easy to get into. Writing is simple and easily adapted to as the reader is dragged through the messy, gory ride. The super-quick pace makes it fly by. Action is always happening, even if you don't necessarily care about all of it.

The story is a zombie tale with an unusual plot overshadowing it with different twists added to the genre. Instead of people just randomly rising from the dead for some bizarre reason, a deathbringer (kind of a like a reaper) has decided to go rogue and unleash his special brand of magic beginning with a small town. He unlocks it with the murder of a sweet girl at the beginning and from then all hell breaks loose. There are two types of zombies - some more intelligent than others, designed for a divine purpose, and the rest mindless flesh eaters who ramble along.

The deathbringer has the goal of converting many into mindless zombies for a brutal type of army, but needs elements in order to achieve his purpose. There is an organization fighting against him, as well as the grieved folks of the first deceased woman which started it all.

Now, for the negatives: the characters are completely unlikeable. Their personalities, the way they're written, their actions, everything. I'm a big character focused person so this dampered the book for me quite a bit. The two main characters are amazingly detestable in almost everything they do. They dominate the page time with cheesy lines and vicious acts. The others, even if I didn't hate them, were written with bare minimum characteristics to where I cared nothing about what happened to them. I couldn't take any of the dialogue and emotions as convincing.

The violence was heavy, which isn't a turn off in itself if the rest of the book is working, but without other substance I found the constant use of it unpleasant. Frankly most of the death and torture parts just bored me as they were there for a shock story and little else. I think the book could have been improved upon if some of the action was gotten rid of, believe it or not, and more of the characters or the fascinating uniqueness about the story had been fleshed out. The basic plot was a very good one, more details (whether behind the scenes leading up to it, or more in the mind of the villain and what drove him, etc.) would have enhanced it. ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
Nice quick read. Quick paced and page turning. While I haven’t read a ton of zombie fests in my day, this seemed to be typical of a lot of zombie filled stories I’ve been aquainted with in the past. This did have an interesting background which I would like to read more about. The history of the DeathBringer was intriguing enough to make me curious to read more on the background. Overall not bad. ( )
  harpua | Sep 10, 2008 |
This is the first Bryan Smith book that I've read, and I must admit that I was pleasantly surprised. It was creepy and the characters - both good and evil - were well developed. I love when you can sympathize with the "bad guy" in a book, and I could definitely do that in this one. ( )
2 vote lesleydawn | Jun 6, 2007 |
Great, Fun horror. ( )
  dwosmith | Feb 16, 2007 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,552,995 books! | Top bar: Always visible