September 12th: We Knew Everything Would Be…

September 12th: We Knew Everything Would Be All Right (edition 2002)

by Masterson Elementary Students, First Grade Students of H. Byron Masterson Elementary in Kennett Missouri, Masterson Elementary Student (Illustrator)

3962027,024 (4.39)None
Member:jdudley3
Title:September 12th: We Knew Everything Would Be All Right
Authors:Masterson Elementary Students
Other authors:First Grade Students of H. Byron Masterson Elementary in Kennett Missouri, Masterson Elementary Student (Illustrator)
Info:Tangerine Press (2002), Paperback, 32 pages

September 12th: We Knew Everything Would Be All Right by Masterson Elementary Students

When you feel like the world will never be put right again after a tragedy, read this book. First graders remind us that the sun will come up in the morning and world will keep spinning. We can mourn our losses after tragedy, but we have to remember that everything will be all right.
  Katie_Manna | Aug 31, 2016 |
This book, September 12th, is an excellent book for children, and for parents to read to children. It is written from the point of view from the child, the illustrations are very useful, and it talks about a real topic. This book was written by a 1st grade class about the terrorist attach on the world trade center in 2001. These students were telling the story of what happened on September 12th and why they knew everything was going to be alright. For example, "September 12th was a new day. We knew everything would be alright because[,] the sun came up and the birds started to sing." These are things that children notice after a terrible thing happens, so this makes sense to a child and they would connect with the book. In addition, the illustrations in the book are excellent and match wonderfully with the text. For example, "Our teacher sat and read us lots of good books." The illustration is a class sitting on the floor with the teacher sitting in a chair with a book in her hand. The pictures mirrors the words which is the way a picture book should be; also this is great for younger children who may not read well yet. Finally, this book discusses a real topic: 9/11 which was the terrorist attach on the world trade center, and many other U.S.government buildings. This is a talk parents need to have with their children so they know terrible things to happen, however everything will eventually be alright. This book is a great way to introduce a young child to terrorism, but also informing them that even though bad things happen, everything will eventually go back to normal and be okay. ( )
  rprotz2 | Mar 25, 2016 |
Summary
This book was written by a first grade class and is based on the tragedies of September 11, 2001. It discusses how September 12, 2001 they knew everything would be all right because they did their everyday things as usual. They went to school and went home safely to their parents. Everyone wore red, white, and blue and sang the National Anthem proudly. The children noticed that America was united and they knew everything was going to be all right.

Personal Reaction
I was in sixth grade on September 11. 2001 and remember a boy running into our classroom to tell us that a plane hit the twin towers. Our teachers crowded us into a room where we watched the tragedy take place. That is a day I will never forget but just like these children I went home to a safe place. My parents told me everything would be all right. September 11th changed my life and I will always remember the day I noticed America was united.

Classroom Extensions
1. I would discuss the important of September 11, 2001 and they could draw pictures of the American Flag.
2. After I read this story the students could write and illustrate a book as a class.
3. I could show the students the American flag and explain what the flag represents.
  HaleyMcPherson | Mar 17, 2015 |
This was a very touching book written by the students in an elementary school classroom about September 12th, and how they would never forget, but their lives must keep going. The book was written by children, and had a number of touching lines like "we knew it would be alright because our parents loved us." ( )
  alarso2 | May 19, 2014 |
This beautifully composed informational textbook spreads optimism and hope surrounding a tragic day in our Nation's history. Hand drawn illustrations and personally written text present a warmhearted outlook on September 11, 2001, spreading the underlying idea of hope and love. ( )
  arodri13 | May 7, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 043944246X, Paperback)

Heartfelt and touching book by 1st graders at Masterson Elementary School in Kennet, Missouri, about the day after the tragic events of September 11th. These students were given a commemorative Sept

On September 11th horrific events occurred, yet through the simple text and vibrant art of first graders, we are reminded that the world continued the next day. On each page, children experience the comforts of ordinary routines, such as their teacher reading books to them, having homework and recess, and knowing that 2 + 2 still equals 4. This is a poignant message of hope that reassures us all that even after bad things happen, tomorrow always brings a new day.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:07 -0400)

Conveys the sense of hope and comfort found in the routine of everyday activities following the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,180,079 books! | Top bar: Always visible