September 12th: We Knew Everything Would Be…

September 12th: We Knew Everything Would Be All Right (edition 2002)

by Masterson Elementary Students, First Grade Students of H. Byron Masterson Elementary in Kennett Missouri, Masterson Elementary Student (Illustrator)

329None33,519 (4.36)None
Member:jdudley3
Title:September 12th: We Knew Everything Would Be All Right
Authors:Masterson Elementary Students
Other authors:First Grade Students of H. Byron Masterson Elementary in Kennett Missouri, Masterson Elementary Student (Illustrator)
Info:Tangerine Press (2002), Paperback, 32 pages

September 12th: We Knew Everything Would Be All Right by Masterson Elementary Students

I absolutely loved this book! The main message of this book is overcoming obstacles and finding our own peace in it. The reasons why I liked this book was the illustrations and how it stores a sense of calmness and peace during such a tragic time. The pictures in this book were drawn by all of the students in one class. This makes the book even more special because sometimes we need a picture to help our understanding of a tragic event. In addition, this book focuses on the positives that are still occurring even though tragedy struck. The students share some reassurance with the audience and show that everything will be alright and times will get better. ( )
  edefra1 | Dec 6, 2013 |
The main message of this book is to convey a sense of peace after the horrible events of September 11th.
I loved this book for many reasons. I really enjoyed that the illustrations were done by children. The illustrations convey a sense of simplicity and therefore make the events of September 11th more easily grasped and understood. For example, the page which says: "On September 11th, many bad things happened," the accompanying picture is a drawing of a plane crashing into the towers. This drawing is from a child. For some reason, the simplicity of the portrayal makes the event itself a bit more understandable. Instead of viewing a real photo, we see the event from the perspective of a child, which conveys a strange sense of simple understanding.
I also enjoyed this book because of its reassuring message. The book gives its readers a sense of peace and reassurance. For example, the book states that everything will be alright because, "The sun came up...we went to school...etc." Just by retelling the simple events that occur every day, the authors show that life will continue to go on, despite a tragic event. They give a great sense of peace by simply retelling these daily occurrences, which is why I enjoyed the book so much. ( )
  MichelleNappi | Nov 26, 2013 |
(this book is for personal reference) ( )
  AmyLim | Nov 22, 2013 |
I really loved this book and greatly enjoyed reading it. I loved that the pages were made by students. I have never read a book before that was written by children. However, I found that the honest illustrations and simple words were very powerful. I also loved that this book put a positive spin on September 11th in a way that was easy to understand. The terrorist attacks of September 11th can be very hard to explain to a child. This book shows that life goes on and the sun will always come up. It offered a hopeful explanation to the question of what would happen next after the twin towers fell. The main message of this book is that despite the fact that a disaster occurred, the world will still go on as long as we have hope and stand united. ( )
  SamanthaThompson | Nov 19, 2013 |
I thought this book was incredible. Having a story like this reminds me how smart kids really are. This story was written by a group of first graders in Missouri. They knew something horrible had just happened in New York City but instead of dwelling in the bad, they offered a new point of view. The message of this book is that tomorrow always brings a new day- a new beginning. Even if something bad happens today, tomorrow is another chance. These children were talking about September 12th, the day after everything happened. They still had to go through their daily routines. My favorite part was when they wrote "2+2 still equaled 4." This just goes to show that bad incidences can only shake our every day schedule to an extent. I think these kids are brilliant. ( )
  akitso1 | Nov 12, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 043944246X, Paperback)

Heartfelt and touching book by 1st graders at Masterson Elementary School in Kennet, Missouri, about the day after the tragic events of September 11th. These students were given a commemorative Sept

On September 11th horrific events occurred, yet through the simple text and vibrant art of first graders, we are reminded that the world continued the next day. On each page, children experience the comforts of ordinary routines, such as their teacher reading books to them, having homework and recess, and knowing that 2 + 2 still equals 4. This is a poignant message of hope that reassures us all that even after bad things happen, tomorrow always brings a new day.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:14 -0400)

Conveys the sense of hope and comfort found in the routine of everyday activities following the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,447,233 books! | Top bar: Always visible