September 12th: We Knew Everything Would Be…

September 12th: We Knew Everything Would Be All Right (edition 2002)

by Masterson Elementary Students, First Grade Students of H. Byron Masterson Elementary in Kennett Missouri, Masterson Elementary Student (Illustrator)

Member:jdudley3
Title:September 12th: We Knew Everything Would Be All Right
Authors:Masterson Elementary Students
Other authors:First Grade Students of H. Byron Masterson Elementary in Kennett Missouri, Masterson Elementary Student (Illustrator)
Info:Tangerine Press (2002), Paperback, 32 pages

September 12th: We Knew Everything Would Be All Right by Masterson Elementary Students

Summary
This book was written by a first grade class and is based on the tragedies of September 11, 2001. It discusses how September 12, 2001 they knew everything would be all right because they did their everyday things as usual. They went to school and went home safely to their parents. Everyone wore red, white, and blue and sang the National Anthem proudly. The children noticed that America was united and they knew everything was going to be all right.

Personal Reaction
I was in sixth grade on September 11. 2001 and remember a boy running into our classroom to tell us that a plane hit the twin towers. Our teachers crowded us into a room where we watched the tragedy take place. That is a day I will never forget but just like these children I went home to a safe place. My parents told me everything would be all right. September 11th changed my life and I will always remember the day I noticed America was united.

Classroom Extensions
1. I would discuss the important of September 11, 2001 and they could draw pictures of the American Flag.
2. After I read this story the students could write and illustrate a book as a class.
3. I could show the students the American flag and explain what the flag represents.
  HaleyMcPherson | Mar 17, 2015 |
This was a very touching book written by the students in an elementary school classroom about September 12th, and how they would never forget, but their lives must keep going. The book was written by children, and had a number of touching lines like "we knew it would be alright because our parents loved us." ( )
  alarso2 | May 19, 2014 |
This beautifully composed informational textbook spreads optimism and hope surrounding a tragic day in our Nation's history. Hand drawn illustrations and personally written text present a warmhearted outlook on September 11, 2001, spreading the underlying idea of hope and love. ( )
  arodri13 | May 7, 2014 |
I really liked this book. It was so originally written by children that lived in the area of the 9/11 attack. The voice in this book was great because you could tell that it was children writing it, "many bad things happened" and "everything would be alright because we still had homework, 2+2 still equaled 4." It was beautiful to see how these children were unified and comforted by the same daily norms that happened everyday. I liked also how the illustrations were done by the students as well making the reader feel even more at one with the students who wrote the book. The main message of this book was that even though something bad can happen one day waking up and seeing the sun and your school you can put that bad behind you. ( )
  kwiggi3 | May 5, 2014 |
I absolutely loved this book! The main message of this book is overcoming obstacles and finding our own peace in it. The reasons why I liked this book was the illustrations and how it stores a sense of calmness and peace during such a tragic time. The pictures in this book were drawn by all of the students in one class. This makes the book even more special because sometimes we need a picture to help our understanding of a tragic event. In addition, this book focuses on the positives that are still occurring even though tragedy struck. The students share some reassurance with the audience and show that everything will be alright and times will get better. ( )
  edefra1 | Dec 6, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 043944246X, Paperback)

Heartfelt and touching book by 1st graders at Masterson Elementary School in Kennet, Missouri, about the day after the tragic events of September 11th. These students were given a commemorative Sept

On September 11th horrific events occurred, yet through the simple text and vibrant art of first graders, we are reminded that the world continued the next day. On each page, children experience the comforts of ordinary routines, such as their teacher reading books to them, having homework and recess, and knowing that 2 + 2 still equals 4. This is a poignant message of hope that reassures us all that even after bad things happen, tomorrow always brings a new day.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:07 -0400)

Conveys the sense of hope and comfort found in the routine of everyday activities following the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,434,061 books! | Top bar: Always visible