Emma / Mansfield Park / Northanger Abbey /…

Emma / Mansfield Park / Northanger Abbey / Persuasion / Pride and…

by Jane Austen

English (9)  Italian (2)  All (11)
I read Sense and sensibility and Pride and prejudice a thousand times, but I don't like Emma. I found it too laborious. ( )
  Rita_Bertani | Apr 27, 2016 |
SENSE & SENSIBILITY: I read this many years ago on vacation on Mackinic Island and when I heard the "clip clock" of the horses as I read I felt like I stept back in time. Jane Austen has an amazing way of making her characters come alive.

PRIDE AND PREJUDICE: What a wonderful classic story of how love can overcome prejudice, if one gives it a chance. Elizabeth, a strong, intelligent and independent woman, of her time, tries to find love but not to let her heart rule her mind. She tries, to the best of her ability, to determine Darsy’s character and intentions by following the counsel of others. However, she does not know till later how she let her mind rule over her heart. Fortunately, Jane Austen gives us a happy ending and all is well.

Many may say that her stories have the similar patterns and yet we forget that we are judging her by today’s standards. She wrote about what she knew, plus she knew people needed stories with happy endings. After all she lived in the time of the Napoleonic Wars. The news of death and destruction reached even the small towns and villages and these stories gave one a chance to escape from all that.

EMMA: Yet another wonderful book by Jane Austen. Emma Woodhouse, a clever and independent thinker, tries so hard to be a good daughter and friend but ends up having to rethink her approach. That being said, I still recommend this book. ( )
  SLamkin | Feb 21, 2014 |
A rare find, each story in a separate volume. I thoroughly enjoyed them all including an extra bonus shorter work where the villainous lead loses her edge and the man she hoped to entwine. Will have to add the exact title of that later. Amazing collection she created! ( )
  DorotheaSocea | Apr 28, 2012 |
My favourites in the following order :
1. Pride and Prejudice
2. Emma
3. Sense and Sensibility
4. Northanger Abbey
5. Mansfield Park
6. Persuasion ( )
  kw50197 | Aug 14, 2010 |
She is simply still the BEST. ( )
  Soheyr | Apr 4, 2010 |
Despite Austen's fame, many aspects of her life remain an enigma. - Introduction
The family of Dashwood had long been settled in Sussex.
This includes 6 novels: Emma -- Mansfield Park -- Northanger Abbey -- Persuasion -- Pride and Prejudice -- Sense and S
ensibility

Sadly I only have the two volumes of Emma.

Love stories. Perhaps the best loved of all English novelists, Jane Austen addresses the politics, dating and courtship with an incisive intelligence that both foreshadows and outstrips many of the romantic novels of today.

Anthem Press

An edition of this book was published by Anthem Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,334,992 books! | Top bar: Always visible