It Had To Be You by Susan Elizabeth Phillips

It Had To Be You (1994)

by Susan Elizabeth Phillips (Author)

Series: The Chicago Stars (1)

English (28)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  All languages (30)
First off, I have to say that I hate this cover. There. I said it and I know I'm not the first, but I just had to do it. On to the review...

After the first chapter or two, I wasn't sure if I wanted to keep reading this book. Phoebe's past was heartbreaking and her way of dealing with the trauma of her past seemed really sad. Of course it didn't help that her own father was emotionally abusive, or that he didn't believe her when she told him she had been raped. The crime went unreported and she suffered alone, holding all that pain inside for years.

As the book progressed and we learn more about her years as an adult, I became more interested in the book, i.e., the football team, the players, Dan's coaching and how Phoebe was handling her new position as owner of the team. It turned out to be a pretty good read. I even softened toward's Dan after he stopped being so hard on Phoebe. It was sweet to watch the transformation of both Dan and Phoebe as they lowered their defenses and began to trust each other. It wasn't easy for them. Believe it or not, a sports romance actually brought a tear to my eye.

This is a pretty special couple and there is a ton of laugh out loud humor blended into the story. It's a book worth reading, but to get to the good stuff, you have to get through the tough times....kind of like life. ( )
  Becky_McKenna | May 20, 2016 |
Phoebe Somerville despises and fears football and football players. Her father, who had disowned her, has left her his football team, The Stars, to manage. She wants nothing to do with it, but her father gives her a year to manage it and win the championship. Dan Calebow, team coach, pressures her into managing the team at least as a figurehead, but to his dismay she learns how to manage the team and him. Phoebe learns to think beyond her own problems to help others - including her half-sister Molly, a teenager with a big chip on her shoulder, and Ron, the team's wimpy manager. ( )
  triciareads55 | Apr 11, 2016 |
The characters of this book annoyed me, or mainly the character of Dan because he is such an a-hole. Which would have been ok if he had shown serious growth through the book like our heroine (although even she got on my nerve sometimes), but he didn't, he just yelled and justified himself to himself and then said sorry, only to turn around and do it all again because he had serious hots for a buxom blonde and couldn't think beyond that. The only redeeming parts of this book were Ron's growth and his working relationship with Phoebe. As well as the world of football, I was impressed with the research the author must have done to get it right and not be just silly fluff. As a football lover I was impressed. For those reasons I gave it two stars. ( )
  mashiaraqcs | Mar 29, 2016 |
As soon as I finished, I wanted to read it again... And that doesn't happen often to me. ( )
  Marcella1717 | Jan 22, 2016 |
Back Cover: The Windy City isn’t quite ready for Phoebe Somerville – the outrageous, curvaceous New York knockout who has just inherited the Chicago Stars football team. And Phoebe is definitely not ready for the Stars’ head coach, former gridiron legend Dan Calebow, a sexist jock taskmaster with a one-track mind.

My reactions:
Okay, I knew this was a chick-lit romance going into it, but my Stars (pun intended)! This was so stupid I lost 20 IQ points reading it. I’ll give Phillips one star because she manage to write a couple of steamy sex scenes (though most of them had me gritting my teeth because the situations were so unrealistically stupid). Did I mention losing 20 IQ points? Oh, well, it satisfied a couple of challenges.
  BookConcierge | Jan 13, 2016 |

Phillips, Susan ElizabethAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fields, AnnaReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Steven Axelrod, who's been around from the beginning with a good head, a strong shoulder, and a high tolerance for crazy authors. This one had to be yours.
Phoebe Somerville outraged everyone by bringing a French poodle and a Hungarian lover to her father's funeral.

The Windy City isn't quite ready for Phoebe Somerville -- the outrageous, curvaceous New York knockout who has just inherited the Chicago Stars football team. And Phoebe is definitely not prepared for the Stars' head coach Dan Celebow, a sexist jock taskmaster with a one-track mind. Celebow is everything Phoebe abhors. And the sexy new boss is everything Dan despises -- a meddling bimbo who doesn't know a pigskin from a pitcher's mound.

So why is he drawn to the shameless sexpot like a heat-seeking missile? And why does the coach's good ol' boy charm leave cosmopolitan Phoebe feeling awkward, tongue-tied....and ready to fight?

The sexy, heartwarming, and hilarious "prequel" to Susan Elizabeth Phillip's This Heart of Mine -- her sensational bestsellng blockbuster -- It Had To Be You is an enchanting story of two stubborn people who believe in playing for keeps.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0380776839, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:19 -0400)

Inheriting the Chicago Stars Football team, trendy New Yorker Phoebe Somerville knocks heads with Coach Dan Calebow, who resents her meddling as much as she despises his sexist jocularity, until they discover an unlikely attraction for each other.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,717,017 books! | Top bar: Always visible