It Had To Be You by Susan Elizabeth Phillips

It Had To Be You (1994)

by Susan Elizabeth Phillips

Series: The Chicago Stars (1)

English (28)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  English (30)

For me this book consists of five star material combined with infuriating characters that made me so angry I didn't enjoy parts of the book at all.

I don't remember the last time I liked a heroine and hated a hero this much.
Every single thing Phoebe does has meaning. Even when she makes a mistake, when she acts the way I thought was dumb, when she is too forgiving, even then I was on her side. I didn't expect this much darkness in this book. I went into it thinking it's light and funny. It's not. Phoebe's life was not funny at all.
Her father was a miserable excuse for a human being. And don't let me start on her cousin.
I loathed Dan at first. Actually, I couldn't believe that is supposed to be anyone's love interest. Later he grows on you. Like mold. Don't expect him to change much in the course of the story. Yet, despite all that I enjoyed the story. It even has a bit of suspense thrown in.

It Had to Be You made me cry and broke my heart, it made me laugh too, it made me so angry I saw red. I loved Phoebe. She makes this worth reading.

I liked the book. ( )
  Aneris | Oct 31, 2016 |

I don't remember the last time I liked a heroine and hated a hero this much.

I liked the book. ( )
  Aneris | Oct 31, 2016 |
First off, I have to say that I hate this cover. There. I said it and I know I'm not the first, but I just had to do it. On to the review...

After the first chapter or two, I wasn't sure if I wanted to keep reading this book. Phoebe's past was heartbreaking and her way of dealing with the trauma of her past seemed really sad. Of course it didn't help that her own father was emotionally abusive, or that he didn't believe her when she told him she had been raped. The crime went unreported and she suffered alone, holding all that pain inside for years.

As the book progressed and we learn more about her years as an adult, I became more interested in the book, i.e., the football team, the players, Dan's coaching and how Phoebe was handling her new position as owner of the team. It turned out to be a pretty good read. I even softened toward's Dan after he stopped being so hard on Phoebe. It was sweet to watch the transformation of both Dan and Phoebe as they lowered their defenses and began to trust each other. It wasn't easy for them. Believe it or not, a sports romance actually brought a tear to my eye.

This is a pretty special couple and there is a ton of laugh out loud humor blended into the story. It's a book worth reading, but to get to the good stuff, you have to get through the tough times....kind of like life. ( )
  Becky_McKenna | May 20, 2016 |
Phoebe Somerville despises and fears football and football players. Her father, who had disowned her, has left her his football team, The Stars, to manage. She wants nothing to do with it, but her father gives her a year to manage it and win the championship. Dan Calebow, team coach, pressures her into managing the team at least as a figurehead, but to his dismay she learns how to manage the team and him. Phoebe learns to think beyond her own problems to help others - including her half-sister Molly, a teenager with a big chip on her shoulder, and Ron, the team's wimpy manager. ( )
  triciareads55 | Apr 11, 2016 |
As soon as I finished, I wanted to read it again... And that doesn't happen often to me. ( )
  Marcella1717 | Jan 22, 2016 |

Phillips, Susan ElizabethAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fields, AnnaReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Steven Axelrod, who's been around from the beginning with a good head, a strong shoulder, and a high tolerance for crazy authors. This one had to be yours.
Phoebe Somerville outraged everyone by bringing a French poodle and a Hungarian lover to her father's funeral.

The Windy City isn't quite ready for Phoebe Somerville -- the outrageous, curvaceous New York knockout who has just inherited the Chicago Stars football team. And Phoebe is definitely not prepared for the Stars' head coach Dan Celebow, a sexist jock taskmaster with a one-track mind. Celebow is everything Phoebe abhors. And the sexy new boss is everything Dan despises -- a meddling bimbo who doesn't know a pigskin from a pitcher's mound.

So why is he drawn to the shameless sexpot like a heat-seeking missile? And why does the coach's good ol' boy charm leave cosmopolitan Phoebe feeling awkward, tongue-tied....and ready to fight?

The sexy, heartwarming, and hilarious "prequel" to Susan Elizabeth Phillip's This Heart of Mine -- her sensational bestsellng blockbuster -- It Had To Be You is an enchanting story of two stubborn people who believe in playing for keeps.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0380776839, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:19 -0400)

Inheriting the Chicago Stars Football team, trendy New Yorker Phoebe Somerville knocks heads with Coach Dan Calebow, who resents her meddling as much as she despises his sexist jocularity, until they discover an unlikely attraction for each other.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,687,659 books! | Top bar: Always visible