Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

It's In His Kiss by Julia Quinn

It's In His Kiss (edition 2005)

by Julia Quinn

Member:soshleesays
Title:It's In His Kiss
Authors:Julia Quinn
Info:Avon (2005), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Tags:romance, fiction, mom

It's in His Kiss by Julia Quinn

Recently added byprivate library, Irena., sammii507, southvine, dibs139, ClarisaO, Coyote99

English (29)  Italian (1)  All languages (30)
Well, this has been a disappointing read. I love this series. The characters are wonderful and most of the time I can expect a funny and good romantic story. As usual, there are a few humorous situations and comments, but this book is weaker than the previous especially the first four. Actually, I think the moment Lady Whistledown stopped writing, the books went downhill. While I liked this story more than I did To Sir Phillip, With Love, I couldn’t find that thing that made me love An Offer From a Gentleman and Romancing Mister Bridgerton.

The closest description I can think of at the moment is a much more immature version of the first book (The Duke and I). I liked Hyacinth in previous books, but here I didn’t care.
The person who provides humour here is, as usual, Lady Danbury. This time is personal for her because Gareth is her grandson. ( )
  Irena. | Aug 26, 2014 |
Re: description from back of book -- And so she claims? Er, Hyacinth does speak Italian. It's not like she's pretending...This book is fun. Gareth is Lady Danbury's grandson, and I've liked her all through the rest of the Bridgerton books. Gareth is a fun character, although he shares some characteristics with Simon from "The Duke and I" - although only vaguely - in that they have severe parental issues. They're still very different characters, though. Hyacinth is also fun, although sometimes she gets on your nerves (although I think she's supposed to, actually, so it's alright). A good book! ( )
  sammii507 | Aug 19, 2014 |
I always enjoy checking in with the Bridgertons, and this book was lots of fun. ( )
  LadyWesley | Sep 25, 2013 |
When I found a Bridgerton novel on my to-be-read shelf I was floored, "How could I have missed this?!" Once the eBook was loaded and I began reading, I had the sneaking suspicion that I hadn't. That's right, I'd read it before, never marked it as TBR, and couldn't remember from the blurb that I had already read it. To be fair, Hyacinth Bridgerton was a long running favorite, so she was always sound familiar, it was the description of Gareth that let me down. Once I saw him on the page, read him interacting with his grandmother and Hyacinth, I knew I had met him before.

A sweet book with a strong heroine that manages to fall in love without trading away any pieces of her own confidence, I greatly enjoyed seeing Hyacinth and Gareth find their happily ever after, even for the second time. ( )
  Capnrandm | Apr 15, 2013 |
I don't know if I would say that this is Julia Quinn's best, but I really disagree with the other readers who have trashed It's In His Kiss.

I think that one of the trends in romance over the past decade or so has been to try to keep the 'magic' - the escapism, the one-true-love, etc. - but also to bridge the gap between happily ever after and the kind of romances that real people can relate to. What's the point of reading romances if all you'll ever learn from them is that this kind of fairy tale is not for you?

So the fact that Hyacinth has to figure out that actually, she's been so intimidated by her equals in the past that she's brushed them all off as potential suitors, that she's dug her own grave in effect, and that she has her own mental baggage to sort out in the process of trying to get together with Gareth, was a big part of the book's appeal for me. I really sympathized.

I also really, really liked the end of the book. I don't think that it makes the mystery irrelevant; I think it just puts two kids of treasure on the balance, a treasure of gold and a treasure of love, and shows which is more valuable. And the answer is love.

It's not a very action-packed book, and I was a little underwhelmed by how much the characters had to be prodded into the relationship, but I liked them, and I liked their dynamic together.

I think that one of the strengths of the Bridgerton series is that all of the romances play out in a different way; all of the children have a different problem that they have to solve in themselves before they can really find love. I thought that this was a really good addition to the series. ( )
  MlleEhreen | Apr 3, 2013 |

Julia Quinnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Prebble, SimonReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Petra LingsminatTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rengal, Arnaud duTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Steve Axelrod, for a hundred different reasons. (But especially the caviar!)
And also for Paul, even though he seems to think I'm the sort of person who likes to share caviar.
There were four principles governing Gareth St. Clair's relationship with his father that he relied upon to maintain his good humor and general sanity.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006053124X, Mass Market Paperback)

Meet Our Hero . . .
Gareth St. Clair is in a bind. His father, who detests him, is determined to beggar the St. Clair estates and ruin his inheritance. Gareth's sole bequest is an old family diary, which may or may not contain the secrets of his past . . . and the key to his future. The problem is—it's written in Italian, of which Gareth speaks not a word.

Meet Our Heroine . . .
All the ton agreed: there was no one quite like Hyacinth Bridgerton. She's fiendishly smart, devilishly outspoken, and according to Gareth, probably best in small doses. But there's something about her—something charming and vexing—that grabs him and won't quite let go . . .

Meet Poor Mr. Mozart . . .
Or don't. But rest assured, he's spinning in his grave when Gareth and Hyacinth cross paths at the annual—and annually discordant—Smythe-Smith musicale. To Hyacinth, Gareth's every word seems a dare, and she offers to translate his diary, even though her Italian is slightly less than perfect. But as they delve into the mysterious text, they discover that the answers they seek lie not in the diary, but in each other . . . and that there is nothing as simple—or as complicated—as a single, perfect kiss.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:32 -0400)

Gareth St. Clair has never liked his father and he is surprised when the old man calls him home. There, Gareth learns that he has inherited an old family journa, written by an Italian, from his older brother. Enter the gorgeous, and contentious, Hyacinth Bridgerton, who willingly offers to translate the book. Together Gareth and Hyacinth attempt to discover the secrets hiding within the text, their adventures taking them into many forbidden areas. And then they share a fateful kiss--one that begins an unexpected and heated courtship.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,696,429 books! | Top bar: Always visible