It's In His Kiss by Julia Quinn

It's In His Kiss (edition 2005)

by Julia Quinn

Member:soshleesays
Title:It's In His Kiss
Authors:Julia Quinn
Info:Avon (2005), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Tags:romance, fiction, mom

It's in His Kiss by Julia Quinn

English (27)  Italian (1)  All languages (28)
I always enjoy checking in with the Bridgertons, and this book was lots of fun. ( )
  LadyWesley | Sep 25, 2013 |
When I found a Bridgerton novel on my to-be-read shelf I was floored, "How could I have missed this?!" Once the eBook was loaded and I began reading, I had the sneaking suspicion that I hadn't. That's right, I'd read it before, never marked it as TBR, and couldn't remember from the blurb that I had already read it. To be fair, Hyacinth Bridgerton was a long running favorite, so she was always sound familiar, it was the description of Gareth that let me down. Once I saw him on the page, read him interacting with his grandmother and Hyacinth, I knew I had met him before.

A sweet book with a strong heroine that manages to fall in love without trading away any pieces of her own confidence, I greatly enjoyed seeing Hyacinth and Gareth find their happily ever after, even for the second time. ( )
  Capnrandm | Apr 15, 2013 |
I don't know if I would say that this is Julia Quinn's best, but I really disagree with the other readers who have trashed It's In His Kiss.

I think that one of the trends in romance over the past decade or so has been to try to keep the 'magic' - the escapism, the one-true-love, etc. - but also to bridge the gap between happily ever after and the kind of romances that real people can relate to. What's the point of reading romances if all you'll ever learn from them is that this kind of fairy tale is not for you?

So the fact that Hyacinth has to figure out that actually, she's been so intimidated by her equals in the past that she's brushed them all off as potential suitors, that she's dug her own grave in effect, and that she has her own mental baggage to sort out in the process of trying to get together with Gareth, was a big part of the book's appeal for me. I really sympathized.

I also really, really liked the end of the book. I don't think that it makes the mystery irrelevant; I think it just puts two kids of treasure on the balance, a treasure of gold and a treasure of love, and shows which is more valuable. And the answer is love.

It's not a very action-packed book, and I was a little underwhelmed by how much the characters had to be prodded into the relationship, but I liked them, and I liked their dynamic together.

I think that one of the strengths of the Bridgerton series is that all of the romances play out in a different way; all of the children have a different problem that they have to solve in themselves before they can really find love. I thought that this was a really good addition to the series. ( )
  MlleEhreen | Apr 3, 2013 |
September 18, 2010

No idea what I wrote down there, but it looks extensive.... I'm sure it's a love description of the book. I'll stick to that. ;) It was really cute! The epilogue freaking kills me! Heeheehee!!!

May 1, 2007

HYACINTH! Oh, geez. And GARETH ST. CLAIR. This book was fun. I REALLY liked it. Oh gosh, and the epilogue! HAHAHHAHAHAHAHA! :) Oh, that's some gooooood stuff!

Okay... premise? Hyacinth is the youngest Bridgerton. She's friends with Lady Danbury—she goes and reads to her every... Tuesday, I believe. Anyway, Hyacinth is SNARKY. She's SMART and completely outspoken. And I think she just... intimidates a LOT of people. I imagine Lady Danbury being JUST LIKE HER when she was younger.

Gareth is Lady Danbury's grandson or something. His father hates him—I think it's because he thinks that Gareth's mom had an affair and Gareth isn't really his. (I can't remember if it's true or not.) Anyway, he's got some old family diary that may shed more light on his family, but it's in Italian. WHICH Hyacinth happens to speak passably well, thanks to an Italian governess.

So she's helping him translate it, and it's all SORTS of fun, because Hyacinth drives Gareth CRAZY. But they fall in love... except Hyacinth thinks that he only wants to marry her to prove something to his father. But there is hidden treasure, breaking and entering, and all sorts of fun stuff. :)

I think my favorite parts are the blurbs at the beginning of the chapters though. GREAT STUFF! ( )
  saraferrell | Apr 3, 2013 |
It's In His Kiss
4.5 Stars

Synopsis
Hyacinth Bridgerton is a handful to say the least - excessively intelligent, witty and outspoken. Most men are completely intimidated except for Gareth St. Clair who is both exasperated and charmed by her. Despised by his father, Gareth has secrets in his past that he wishes to uncover and after receiving an old family diary written in Italian, he enlists Hyacinth's help with its translation and the two set off on an adventure in intrigue and love.

Review

Definitely one of Quinn's best and ranks up there with The Viscount Who Loved Me and Romancing Mister Bridgerton as my favorite in the Bridgerton series.

Although not as steamy as When He Was Wicked, Hyacinth and Gareth's relationship is more romantic and magical. Hyacinth is my favorite Bridgerton sister, and her wit, charm and outspoken honesty make her endearing and delightful. As mentioned in many of my reviews, I am a sucker for a tortured hero and while Gareth is not as tormented as Simon, Michael or Phillip, he definitely fits into this category. He is gorgeous, witty and absolutely likeable despite one or two morally questionable actions (which are, nonetheless, quite understandable given his upbringing and fear of losing someone he loves).

Once again, the secondary characters are excellent, especially Lady Danbury whose conversations with Hyacinth had me laughing until I cried. Gareth's father is a spiteful and obnoxious villain, and it is a pity that he doesn't get more of a comeuppance.

The treasure hunt plot device is very entertaining but ultimately disappointing because it fizzles out at the end, possibly because Quinn wanted to save its conclusion for the 2nd epilogue.

Overall, a light-hearted and entertaining addition to a wonderful series. There is only one more to go, which leaves me with a bittersweet feeling. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Apr 2, 2013 |

Julia Quinnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Prebble, SimonReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Petra LingsminatTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rengal, Arnaud duTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Steve Axelrod, for a hundred different reasons. (But especially the caviar!)
And also for Paul, even though he seems to think I'm the sort of person who likes to share caviar.
There were four principles governing Gareth St. Clair's relationship with his father that he relied upon to maintain his good humor and general sanity.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006053124X, Mass Market Paperback)

Meet Our Hero . . .
Gareth St. Clair is in a bind. His father, who detests him, is determined to beggar the St. Clair estates and ruin his inheritance. Gareth's sole bequest is an old family diary, which may or may not contain the secrets of his past . . . and the key to his future. The problem is—it's written in Italian, of which Gareth speaks not a word.

Meet Our Heroine . . .
All the ton agreed: there was no one quite like Hyacinth Bridgerton. She's fiendishly smart, devilishly outspoken, and according to Gareth, probably best in small doses. But there's something about her—something charming and vexing—that grabs him and won't quite let go . . .

Meet Poor Mr. Mozart . . .
Or don't. But rest assured, he's spinning in his grave when Gareth and Hyacinth cross paths at the annual—and annually discordant—Smythe-Smith musicale. To Hyacinth, Gareth's every word seems a dare, and she offers to translate his diary, even though her Italian is slightly less than perfect. But as they delve into the mysterious text, they discover that the answers they seek lie not in the diary, but in each other . . . and that there is nothing as simple—or as complicated—as a single, perfect kiss.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:32 -0400)

Gareth St. Clair has never liked his father and he is surprised when the old man calls him home. There, Gareth learns that he has inherited an old family journa, written by an Italian, from his older brother. Enter the gorgeous, and contentious, Hyacinth Bridgerton, who willingly offers to translate the book. Together Gareth and Hyacinth attempt to discover the secrets hiding within the text, their adventures taking them into many forbidden areas. And then they share a fateful kiss--one that begins an unexpected and heated courtship.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,500,809 books! | Top bar: Always visible