Jade Island (Donovan, Book 2) by Elizabeth…

Jade Island (Donovan, Book 2) (edition 1999)

by Elizabeth Lowell

Member:BabeyBeeen
Title:Jade Island (Donovan, Book 2)
Authors:Elizabeth Lowell
Info:Avon (1999), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages

Jade Island by Elizabeth Lowell

I grabbed this book off my bookshelf because I needed a "J" book for my A to Z challenge. I did not know it was part of a series, in fact I do not think I have ever read a book by this author before. Well, let me tell you, I am definitely going to look for the others in the Donovan Series.

This took me back to the romantic, suspense, mysteries that I used to read and love a few years ago. This book had a little of everything. It is the story of Lianne Blakely and Kyle Donovan. Lianne is the daughter of a rich Chinese man's mistress. He is the third son of the Tang family, known for their collection of precious Jade. Lianne has an uncanny ability to assess and spot good and bad jade, so works for the family. She is not acknowledged as a Tang, but everyone knows that Johnny is her father. He wants her to meet Kyle Donovan of the Donovan Gem empire, but does not tell her why. She meets him at a charity auction and they hit it off quite well. Little do they know, each was instructed to meet the other for different reasons. When some perfect jade shows up, China is up in arms and wants the US to return it to them or they will cut off economic ties. When Lianne is implicated in this theft from China things heat up.

I really liked the character of Lianne. She has been raised in a questionable environment subject to both Chinese and American rules of family and sexes. She wants terribly to be recognized by her father and grandfather and does whatever the ask of her. Kyle is the big, blonde man who is by her side to keep other Chinese, who want her to be their concubine, at bay. He also become emotionally involved with her and is there when she needs help and support more than ever. His family is bigger than life and I am looking forward to seeing what the other books in this series have in store for me. This is an enjoyable read, a recognizable plot with a Chinese (multi-cultural) twist, and with a good flow that kept me interested. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
Jade Island is the second book in the Donovan series but it doesn't follow Amber Beach's plot line all that much. When we left the Donovan clan in Amber Beach, Kyle Donovan had been rescued from near death after his amber hungry girlfriend sold him down the river and nearly had him killed. Now, Kyle is chasing jade and an impossibly beautiful Asian-American named Lianne Blakely. Kyle certainly knows how to pick 'em. Lianne is the illegitimate child of Chinese Johnny Tang and all American Anna Blakeley. Lianne wants nothing more than to belong to the Tang clan and is more than happy to appraise and evaluate jade trades for them. But what happens when Tang jade starts to disappear and Lianne is the prime suspect? Kyle must decide between his head and another piece of his anatomy. Is Lianne innocent or is he falling in love with a criminal? What I appreciated with Jade Island was there was none of the coy games played between the two impossibly beautiful protagonists. Lianne enjoyed Kyle's company and they got along really well despite the sexual tension.

It is not necessary to read Amber Beach to understand Jade Island. Lowell makes references to details from the previous book but the plot is not dependent on it. ( )
  SeriousGrace | May 10, 2018 |
Kyle Donovan and Lianne Blakely are sent to each other by their respective families, which couldn't be more different: Kyle is the fourth of six children in a close, lively, loud family, while Lianne, the daughter of a Chinese businessman's long-time American mistress, is unacknowledged by her father and his family. Sparks fly as they question each other's motives and investigate mysterious appearances and disappearances of priceless Chinese jade artifacts. It's a nice read for a lazy weekend or beach trip, entertaining and with good chemistry between the lovers and interesting interactions between the Donovans and the Tang family. ( )
  jholcomb | Feb 14, 2010 |
I liked the characters alot. It's actually the 2nd book about a family, but you'd never know it. A 3rd book is out now. Peal COve is first, Amber Beach next. Good plot
10/11/99 ( )
  cindyloumn | Jan 27, 2007 |
It is very knowledgeable on jade, but full of sexual encounters between the main characters and left nothing to the imagination in language. ( )
  lopemopay | Nov 22, 2006 |
For Nancy and Roger Kisner. Wonderful neighbors, wonderful friends, wonderful people.
The man was frightened.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380789876, Mass Market Paperback)

Elizabeth Lowell's second book in her trilogy featuring the internationally renowned Donovan family pairs youngest brother Kyle, who featured prominently in the previous book Amber Beach, with the illegitimate daughter of a Chinese trading dynasty. Lianne Blakely accepts that she'll never be openly acknowledged as Johnny Tang's daughter, but her expertise in handling the family's extensive jade collection has earned their respect and leads to her realization that someone has substituted inferior replicas for several priceless pieces. Kyle, meanwhile, has been ordered by big brother Archer to investigate Lianne's possible involvement in the sale of jade treasures that may have been stolen from China. With international relations and leadership within the Tang family at stake, Lianne joins Kyle's effort to find the thief and elude some nasty characters, despite the equally dangerous, explosive passion the couple shares. Hot love scenes, relentless suspense, and appearances by the noisy and affectionate Donovan clan keep the reader entertained. --Ellen Edwards

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:29 -0400)

The Donovan International gem-trading empire is under a cloud of suspicion when jade expert Lianne Blakely is accused of stealing one of China's prized artifacts.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,400,634 books! | Top bar: Always visible