No Clue at the Inn by Kate Kingsbury

This was an enjoyable historical holiday cozy. I had not read the previous portion of the series, but had not difficulties or felt I missed out. I am looking forward to continuing with the other holiday ones in future years. ( )
  fiberfool | Dec 28, 2012 |
When the new owner of the Pennyfoot Hotel (now a country club) has to be away during the Christmas season, he calls on former owner Cecily Sinclair Baxter and her husband to manage it in his absence. His manager has just died in a tragic accident, and there is no one else he can trust with the responsibility. The Baxters invite their former employees to spend Christmas as guests at the Pennyfoot, and all are looking forward to a reunion. Cecily suspects that the former manager's death might not have been an accident, and she can't resist snooping. A subsequent murder confirms her suspicions, and Cecily's interference has unexpected consequences.

This was my first experience with the Pennyfoot Hotel series, and I wasn't impressed. I didn't care for the heroine, and I felt sorry for her husband. Cecily seems impulsive and careless of the effect her actions might have on others. She relies on intuition rather than logic to solve crimes, and her intuition is often faulty. I'm not sure I'll continue with this series. ( )
  cbl_tn | Dec 31, 2011 |
ok but that's all. interesting period details ( )
  mahallett | Sep 2, 2011 |
It's been two years since Cecily and Baxter have owned the Pennyfoot Hotel, but when the relative who bought the hotel and converted it to a country club calls and asks for their assistance in getting through the Christmas season since the manager fell in the well on a nearby deserted farm. Baxter has misgivings about accepting the short-term assignment because he knows Cecily can't resist sleuthing, and it does appear suspicious to her. After all, why was the manager on that property in the first place. It just didn't make sense. Cecily has invited her former staff as her guests for the Christmas season. It was great to revisit the Pennyfoot and to have all the "old gang" back in place, even if in slightly different roles. I had anticipated part of the outcome of this installment and was happy to have it end that way even though I really don't think it was that realistic. I look forward to reading another installment of this series in the coming year. ( )
  thornton37814 | Dec 25, 2010 |
"I simply cannot believe we are almost at the end of 1912."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425191885, Paperback)

Cecily Baxter and her husband, Hugh, haven't been back to Badgers End in two years-not since they sold the Pennyfoot Hotel and the new owner turned it into a country club. But when Cecily receives a letter asking her to manage the place during the Christmas season, she's delighted to accept. Hugh, however, is not quite so enthusiastic-especially when he discovers that the previous manager met a mysterious end...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:59 -0400)

The Baxters haven't been back to Badgers End since they sold the hotel. When Cecily receives a letter asking her to manage the place during the Christmas season, she's delighted to accept. Her husband, however, is not quite so enthusiastic.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,429,959 books! | Top bar: Always visible