News from the Edge: The Monster of Minnesota…

News from the Edge: The Monster of Minnesota (1997)

by Mark Sumner

Very quick read. Light parody - I wish more than three had been published. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
This is one of those books I could have read in an hour or two at most. Though it seemed like some of the characters were thrown in for shits & giggles, it was easy enough to remember who was who. There were a couple of plot holes but in a quick read like this, they don't really bother me. It was a nice distraction. ( )
  TeaCat | Sep 2, 2010 |
Well, first off, I got about half way into the book, got bored, read the ending, and then went back and finished the book, so the big mystery at the end, wasn't much of a mystery and it affected how I thought of the book. First off, its not bad. But, its not very good either. Its cute, has likable, but cliched characters. Its also not very big book and reads quickly.

Where it has its faults - is namely, the rather lame ending. Also, as someone from Minnesota, the whole region is stereotyped and reads as if the author has never been to the region he's describing or only saw the touristy things when he visited. And, I think, some of the geography is wrong, but its hard to tell how much is made up. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Aug 26, 2010 |
Savannah "Savvy" McKinnon is a reporter at the tabloid paper The Global Query. In her early 20s, and somewhat new to the Query, Savvy hopes for a chance one day at a Pulitzer prize, or at least a front page byline at the Query. A telephoned tip about four deaths at a Minnesota lake, and a possible lake monster, presents Savvy with the possibility for both a Pulitzer, and a front page byline. She has doubts that the lake monster is real, but knows that with four deaths already, uncovering the truth could be dangerous.

I read this book after viewing, and enjoying, the television series The Chronicle, which was based on the News From the Edge books. Very loosely based. The similarity between the book and television series is tenuous. Still, the story is a fun read, and Savvy is a likable character. The Monster of Minnesota is a fun read of a who - or what - done it mystery. ( )
  Sundry | May 31, 2010 |
To the folks at Strange magazine, Fortean Times, Frank Edwards, MUFON, and The Kansas Bigfoot Center. Keep looking, guys. They're out there. Grateful acknowledgment, as always, to the invaluable help of Alternate Historians: Tom Drennan, N. L. Drew, Laurell K. Hamilton, Rett Macpherson, Deborah Millitello, and Marella Sands. I'd also like to extend gratitude to the patience and tolerance of my family, who have learned to dust around me over the last few months.
"Yeah, so what happened after Elvis shot the dinosaur?"

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,927,047 books! | Top bar: Always visible