The End by Lemony Snicket

The End (2006)

by Lemony Snicket

Other authors: Brett Helquist (Illustrator), Michael Kupperman (Illustrator)

Series: A Series of Unfortunate Events (13)

English (108)  German (1)  All (109)
A Vexatious, Frustrating, Disappointing book. What a terrible ending. ( )
  mrsrobin | Jun 24, 2017 |
It did a good job of wrapping things up. A very satisfying ending. ( )
  nx74defiant | Apr 30, 2017 |
the series ends. much as it began. It seems everyone in VFD is an orphan, no matter what side of the schism they are on. The Baudelaires end up taking care of Kit Snickets baby[Kit dies], Olaf dies and reveals that he was always in love with Kit, and the story ends with the Orphans sailing off a deserted island to go live in the world, as normal people ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
I didn't want this series to end. ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
While not my favorite story in the series, I think it was a fitting conclusion to it. It tied up a lot of loose ends while leaving the reader with more questions. Still very good and I would recommend the series. 4 out of 5 stars. ( )
  Beammey | Jul 23, 2016 |
A happy ending for the Bauldelaire orphans in my opinion. Though, i'd like to hear more about their exploits.I just finished today, i'm going to give my thanks to Daniel Handler(Lemony Snicket) for giving me something to be hooked on for the past few weeks, and the thing i was hooked on was the series of unfortunate events books. I look forward to the next four books he will be making on something else and maybe some more series of unfortunate events. All the series of unfortunate events fans, keep your eyes peeled for the new books in 2012!
added by Xianelle | editpersonal, Xianelle San Juan (Dec 19, 2011)

Snicket, Lemonyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Helquist, BrettIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kupperman, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Curry, TimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ô Mort, vieux capitaine, il est temps ! levons l'ancre !
Ce pays nous ennuie, ô Mort ! Appareillons !
Si le ciel et la mer sont noirs comme de l'encre,
Nos coeurs que tu connais sont remplis de rayons !
For Beatrice -- I cherished, you perished. The world's been nightmarished
For Beatrice -- We are like boats passing in the night -- particularly you.
If you have every peeled an onion, then you know that the first thin, papery layer reveals another thin, papery layer, and that layer reveals another, and another, and before you know it you have hundreds of layers all over the kitchen table and thousands of tears in your eyes, sorry that you ever started peeling in the first place and wishing that you had left the onion alone to wither away on the shelf of the pantry while you went on with your life, even if that meant never again enjoying the complicated and overwhelming taste of this strange and bitter vegetable.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064410161, Hardcover)

Picking up from the final pages of the Pentultimate Peril, this farewell installment to the ridiculously (and deservedly!) popular A Series of Unfortunate Events places our protagonists right where we last left them: on a large, wooden boat in the middle of the ocean, trapped with their nemesis Count Olaf, who has armed himself with a helmet-full of deadly Medusoid Mycelium.

The situation quickly and--this being the Baudelaires--predictably deteriorates. Violet, Klaus, and Sunny find themselves tossed in a storm so terrible that our beloved narrator spends four pages describing how he cannot describe it. From this point on, fans of the series' smarty-pants wordplay and acrobatic narrative can rest assured that they're in for more of the same (and how) in this 368-page finale, and Daniel Handler's deadpan Snicket continues to tutor a generation in self-referential humor (including one particularly funny bit regarding three very short men carrying a large, flat piece of wood, painted to look like a living room). Snicket notes, of course, that if you read the entire series, "your only reward will be 170 chapters of misery in your library and countless tears in your eyes."

There's one big question, though, for anyone who's made it through "the thirteenth chapter of the thirteenth volume in this sad history": is the final book a fitting end? That question is probably best-answered by one of The End's most oft-repeated phrases: It depends on how you look at it. Those looking for conclusive resolution to the series' many, many mysteries may be disappointed, although some big questions do get explicit answers. Not surprisingly for a work so deliberately labyrinthine, though, even the absence of an answer can be sort of an answer--and reaction to The End can be something of a Rorschach test for readers. Or, as Lemony Snicket says, "Perhaps you don’t know yet what the end really means." --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:38 -0400)

Lost at sea, the Baudelaire orphans, along with the evil Count Olaf, wash up on the shore of an island populated by an oddly placid group of inhabitants, and they try to decide whether or not they are truly safe.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,931,302 books! | Top bar: Always visible