The End (A Series of Unfortunate Events,…

The End (A Series of Unfortunate Events, Book 13) (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Lemony Snicket (Author), Brett Helquist (Illustrator)

Lost at sea, the Baudelaire orphans, along with the evil Count Olaf, wash up on the shore of an island populated by an oddly placid group of inhabitants, and they try to decide whether or not they are truly safe.
Member:donutage
Title:The End (A Series of Unfortunate Events, Book 13)
Authors:Lemony Snicket (Author)
Other authors:Brett Helquist (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2006), Edition: 1st, 368 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:children's literature, american, 21c, orphans, meddling kids, shipwreck, series, black comedy, illustrated

The End by Lemony Snicket (2006)

English (114)  German (1)  All languages (115)
This doesn't even deserve a review.

A fucking disaster of a series. ( )
  Shabraque | Nov 19, 2019 |
Well that was unexpected. ( )
  Shahnareads | Oct 22, 2019 |
Though I haven't been reviewing each individual book in the series, I just had to write up my thoughts on this one (spoilers ahead!)

Though it definitely still left a lot of questions unanswered, this felt like a fitting ending to the series and was my favorite of all 13 books. The entire concept of the island community was intriguing, and it was such a relief that a group of people finally saw through Count Olaf. Perhaps the best part about all this, however, was the Biblical allusion and what it really said about religion. The story of Adam and Eve is typically one that people like to reference in their work, but this is the first time I can remember seeing it portrayed in the same way that I personally feel about it: that knowledge and thinking for yourself is the right choice, and that blindly following the restrictions of your leader (god/church/whatever) just because they claim to know what's best will likely not provide you with what's best for you at all. The sheep were a nice touch, too.

Also, learning the identity of the Baudelaire's mother after all this time still managed to catch me by surprise. I don't remember this ending to the series at all from my childhood, so either it was very well forgotten or I never got around to reading the last book or two of the series before. Anyhow, as I was going about my reread, I had been hypothesizing that she was somehow related to the Snickets by blood. In fact, up until Kit Snicket turned up in the Penultimate Peril, I had assumed that she was Lemony's sister. The photograph of the Baudelaire parents with Jacques and Lemony first sparked that idea for me, because there wasn't a sister in it, though I knew from various references throughout the narration that Lemony had one. Since women typically change their last names in marriage, as she did, I figured Snicket could have easily been her last name. This assumption was further supported later when Lemony mentioned in the narration that his sister liked to prepare salads a certain way--the same way that the Baudelaire's mother also prepared salads. Even after Kit's identity was revealed, I was waiting for some trick, be it a second sister or a lie on Kit's part. Anyhow, throughout the entire series, the indications that Mrs. Baudelaire was Lemony's sister kept me completely off track, and I never once considered that she could be who she really was, though the answer was quite literally in front of my face the entire time. This was also disappointing because there had been several indications throughout the book that Lemony's sister was still alive, which led me to believe that the Baudelaire mother was alive, too. I held out hope, even after it was mentioned that Quigley was probably the fire survivor mentioned in the clipping from the Snicket file, but of course, that was futile. This development was also interesting for another reason, however; after reading what happened to Kit at the end of this book, it made me realize that, if Lemony had really been interacting with his sister throughout the writing of the stories, that meant that he was actively researching the Baudelaires and following their movements while the story was still unfolding. I suppose this makes sense, as his dedication to their mother would logically lead him to want to find them and probably care for them, but I had always been under the impression that he was researching them after their story had finished unfolding.

Anyhow, as I mentioned earlier, there were some loose ends left behind. The most disappointing one for me is that we never learn the significance of the sugar bowl, though I kind of got the general feeling that it might have something to do with horseradish or the hybrid apples from the island. The other big mystery, in my opinion, is what happened to the Quagmires and what the great unknown sea creature was. I really liked the Quagmires a lot, so it would be nice to think that it did in some way rescue them, but it feels much more likely that it was simply some giant sea monster that ate them. I plan to read the Unauthorized Autobiography tomorrow, and I hope that it unravels some of the other mysteries that were alluded to, such as the story of the poison darts and, ideally, also the sugar bowl, but I know that the Quagmires are likely too tangential to the story to appear, and of course, if they actually have been eaten by a sea monster, no one would ever find out for sure what happened to them.

One way or the other, I would like to read more from Daniel Handler. There's so much intelligence in the writing of these children's books that I'm very interested to see what else he has written, especially for adult audiences. I hope he puts as much thought and hidden meaning into his other projects, as well.

1 vote NovelInsights | Sep 21, 2019 |
full review to come ( )
  asthepageturns | Jun 13, 2019 |
dopo aver seguito tutta la serie, finalmente siamo arrivati alla fine. che si trova alla fine della fine.
l. snicket è grandioso, ma quest'ultimo libro della serie pare divagare più degli altri. la lettura scorre più lentamente... ma almeno molte cose vengono chiarite, anche se non tutte a mio avviso.
un libro leggermente meno bello degli altri e con una fine... inaspettata!
Da leggere per concludere la serie di sfortunati eventi. ( )
  elerwen | May 29, 2019 |
A happy ending for the Bauldelaire orphans in my opinion. Though, i'd like to hear more about their exploits.I just finished today, i'm going to give my thanks to Daniel Handler(Lemony Snicket) for giving me something to be hooked on for the past few weeks, and the thing i was hooked on was the series of unfortunate events books. I look forward to the next four books he will be making on something else and maybe some more series of unfortunate events. All the series of unfortunate events fans, keep your eyes peeled for the new books in 2012!
added by Xianelle | editpersonal, Xianelle San Juan (Dec 19, 2011)

Snicket, Lemonyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Helquist, BrettIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kupperman, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Curry, TimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ô Mort, vieux capitaine, il est temps ! levons l'ancre !
Ce pays nous ennuie, ô Mort ! Appareillons !
Si le ciel et la mer sont noirs comme de l'encre,
Nos coeurs que tu connais sont remplis de rayons !
For Beatrice -- I cherished, you perished. The world's been nightmarished
For Beatrice -- We are like boats passing in the night -- particularly you.
If you have every peeled an onion, then you know that the first thin, papery layer reveals another thin, papery layer, and that layer reveals another, and another, and before you know it you have hundreds of layers all over the kitchen table and thousands of tears in your eyes, sorry that you ever started peeling in the first place and wishing that you had left the onion alone to wither away on the shelf of the pantry while you went on with your life, even if that meant never again enjoying the complicated and overwhelming taste of this strange and bitter vegetable.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,340,794 books! | Top bar: Always visible