The End (A Series of Unfortunate Events,…

The End (A Series of Unfortunate Events, Book 13) (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Lemony Snicket (Author), Brett Helquist (Illustrator), Michael Kupperman (Illustrator)

Lost at sea, the Baudelaire orphans, along with the evil Count Olaf, wash up on the shore of an island populated by an oddly placid group of inhabitants, and they try to decide whether or not they are truly safe.
Member:ihatemyelf
Title:The End (A Series of Unfortunate Events, Book 13)
Authors:Lemony Snicket (Author)
Other authors:Brett Helquist (Illustrator), Michael Kupperman (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2006), Edition: Illustrated, 368 pages
Rating:*1/2

The End by Lemony Snicket (2006)

English (115)  German (1)  All languages (116)
The mystery in this store was absolutely amazing ( )
  rhison | Oct 23, 2020 |
It seems that I have mix feels about the end of The End. A lot of questions have been answers and not answer at the same time. Has to read between the lines to know all the secrets. There more to the story then the ending is telling.
I only have one question that a bit confusing and, still somehow have an answer that might be true, all the other questions somehow add up (not all the way).

Q: Are their parents alive or dead?

A: They most likely to be alive and are somewhere in the world.

Also, what is this sugar bowl or what in it? I think Captain Widdershins or Kit Snicket say that what in it supposed to bring peace between the staism of V.F.D.
I not going to let the little things get in the way. This will be one of my favorite series and I'm glad that I finish this. Not all the knots were tie up, but I'm finally done with it. However, I might have to read this again in the future and also the new series ATWQ might answer the right questions in SOUE. ( )
  AnnaBookcritter | Sep 15, 2020 |
A book series I never read when I was the right age, I decided to read it now after watching the first two seasons of the Netflix adaptation. Overall I enjoyed them, even if they were somewhat repetitive and lacking in a clear direction. (I'll hide plot spoilers, but not thematic ones. Read at your own peril.)

First, the good. Lemony Snicket as narrator makes the first three or four books—repetitive and, frankly, a bit of a slough—bearable. His voice is fresh, wry, self-aware, and full of literary and cultural allusions. Setting aside the mysteries and conspiracies surrounding the plot, there are enough layers to his narration to keep the reader intrigued. I especially enjoyed the references in Sunny's baby talk and to Snicket's many "associates."

I generally like where the story lands in terms of a "message"—that the world can be a grim place, that its people are mixes of noble and treacherous, and that sometimes the best you can do is strive to be noble enough. While that does leave me somewhat deflated—is that really the best we can do?—it probably is a realistic expectation, taking into account both the possibility for being noble and the inevitability of sometimes being treacherous, despite one's best efforts. Then again, I'm no ethicist. (I should also note it takes awhile to come round to this theme—the first several books are more focused on the general misery of the Baudelaires' lives, and perhaps life more broadly; the mysteries and conspiracies surround V.F.D. consume the middle third; and finally, in the last few books, we finally settle on this theme. This accounts for some of the lack of direction I felt throughout the series as a whole.)

And I also—sort of—don't mind that many questions are left unanswered. What did the sugar bowl contain? What role did the Baudelaires' parents play in the death of Count Olaf's family? Why couldn't Beatrice Baudelaire marry Lemony Snicket? Did the Quagmires survive? Do the Baudelaires survive? These and more are left unresolved. It would be impossible to tell the entire story, for every story is nested in and dependent upon another one. [b:The Bad Beginning|78411|The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1)|Lemony Snicket|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1490085391s/78411.jpg|1069597] wasn't really the beginning; The End isn't really the end. As such, no mystery could ever be answered to the readers' (or the Baudelaires') satisfaction—there's always more to the story, and so there's always more to the mystery. What matters, in any case, is the Baudelaires, like all children, have grown up, and learnt something of the world: that it's generally an unpleasant place, but that's no reason not to strive to be sufficiently noble. The mysteries, then, and their answers don't really matter after all.

Or so Snicket would have us think, anyway. And I'm inclined to allow him that—it's his story, and he can tell it as he likes. (Indeed, that's what made much of the series so interesting to me.) However, I can't shake a bit of disappointment in this handling of the mysteries. He spends so much of the series making much of the secrets, the mysteries, the conspiracies, only to reach the end and say, Well, it doesn't really matter in the end, does it? No, I suppose it doesn't. Still, it would have been nice to know.

So, what do I think? It has some noble parts—the clever narration, the touching movements of sibling love, even the near-redemption of the villainous Count Olaf. (Or is he fully redeemed? I'm not sure. Yet there is some treachery herein, too—the unanswered questions, mainly. I suppose, all in all, it's noble enough. ( )
  drewbelf | Jun 28, 2020 |
This doesn't even deserve a review.

A fucking disaster of a series. ( )
  a-shelf-apart | Nov 19, 2019 |
Well that was unexpected. ( )
  Shahnareads | Oct 22, 2019 |
A happy ending for the Bauldelaire orphans in my opinion. Though, i'd like to hear more about their exploits.I just finished today, i'm going to give my thanks to Daniel Handler(Lemony Snicket) for giving me something to be hooked on for the past few weeks, and the thing i was hooked on was the series of unfortunate events books. I look forward to the next four books he will be making on something else and maybe some more series of unfortunate events. All the series of unfortunate events fans, keep your eyes peeled for the new books in 2012!
added by Xianelle | editpersonal, Xianelle San Juan (Dec 19, 2011)

Snicket, Lemonyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Helquist, BrettIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kupperman, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Curry, TimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ô Mort, vieux capitaine, il est temps ! levons l'ancre !
Ce pays nous ennuie, ô Mort ! Appareillons !
Si le ciel et la mer sont noirs comme de l'encre,
Nos coeurs que tu connais sont remplis de rayons !
For Beatrice -- I cherished, you perished. The world's been nightmarished
For Beatrice -- We are like boats passing in the night -- particularly you.
If you have every peeled an onion, then you know that the first thin, papery layer reveals another thin, papery layer, and that layer reveals another, and another, and before you know it you have hundreds of layers all over the kitchen table and thousands of tears in your eyes, sorry that you ever started peeling in the first place and wishing that you had left the onion alone to wither away on the shelf of the pantry while you went on with your life, even if that meant never again enjoying the complicated and overwhelming taste of this strange and bitter vegetable.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,822,687 books! | Top bar: Always visible