Reader, I Married Him by Michele Roberts

Reader, I Married Him

by Michele Roberts

Sometimes I wonder how a reader can want to read a novel but I can’t remember wondering before why an author would want to write a novel like the one I’ve just read – but that’s the case with this book by Michele Roberts. It seems as if every page is filled with fluffy, insubstantial and particularly dull material, often to do with what someone is wearing or eating. So: ‘Clara insisted I buy a second dress, a sleeveless tube in indigo linen, flatteringly cut, plus a black, green and white striped skirt, ankle-length, gathered very full, and a white and chiffon T-shirt to go with it’. Or, a page later: ‘I put on the shoes I had bought on the way home: flat, green satin slippers tied with black ribbons. There wasn’t enough water to wash my hair so I piled it up in a rough chignon. I threaded the long spikes of my silver earrings through my earlobes’ . . . etc. etc.

I’ve read a Guardian review of this book, the writer liking it but saying it had to be accepted on a lighter level. For me, though, it would have been better if this inconsequential novel had never been written. Clearly the audience is meant to be women who might be more interested in all the dress details but it’s still an insult to anyone’s intelligence to be bombarded with the detail Roberts offers. I wouldn’t have read the book normally but I thought I was buying one of the same name by five writers like Zadie Smith. ( )
  evening | Aug 3, 2017 |
My local library handed me this book wrapped in brown paper as a valentines surprise read. I really did not know what to expect when I opened it!

This is a really light hearted read, it's difficult to talk about it without giving the plot away but there is a great twist near the end.

It is a perfect holiday read particularly if you are heading for Italy but you might look at the Nuns in a new light. ( )
  AnneBoleyn | May 12, 2007 |

When Aurora decides to take herself off to Italy to visit her old friend, Nun Leonora, after her third husband's demise, she discovers a rather dangerous lust for sex and food. Could this be the scenario that reveals the real Aurora?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,739,517 books! | Top bar: Always visible