The Brothers Karamazov by Feodor Dostoyevsky

The Brothers Karamazov (1880)

by Feodor Dostoyevsky (Author), Constance Garnett (Translator)

22,41124997 (4.38)4 / 967
Member:JFDausman
Title:The Brothers Karamazov
Authors:Feodor Dostoyevsky (Author)
Other authors:Constance Garnett (Translator)
Info:The Lowell Press
Collections:Your library, Great Books ~ 300

The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky (1880)

The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky (PrincessPaulina, melies)
    PrincessPaulina: "The Idiot" is overlooked compared to Dostoevsky's other work, but in my opinion it's the most engaging. Deals with upper crust society in pre-revolutionary Russia
    The Master of Petersburg by J. M. Coetzee (xtien)
    xtien: Brilliand novel by Coetzee about a fictional Dostoevsky
    Thus Spoke Zarathustra by Friedrich Nietzsche (igor.chubin)
Romans (21)

English (223)  Italian (6)  Dutch (4)  French (4)  Spanish (3)  German (3)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Portuguese (1)  Russian (1)  All languages (248)
This is one of the few books in which I felt the pain of the depths the writer can dive into. First, the several different versions of the names threw me off. For example: Alexei Fyodorovich Karamazov can be mentioned as "Alyosha, Alyoshka, Alyoshenka, Alyoshechka, Alxeichick, Lyosha, Lyoshenka". I had to stop and write all the characters' names. The book is around a murder case, but it is so much more than that. Underneath that drama, there are many, MANY discussions around life, passion, law, social settings and religion. The book is around three disparate siblings: Alexei, Dmitri, and Ivan and one disturbed bastard (Smerdyakov). The difference between the brother's characters can either reflect the different stages one person have throughout his life or the different characters to approach different ideas Dostoyevsky experience all at ones.

I found out that Dostoevsky's three-year-old son Alyosha died of epilepsy after I finished the book. He named one of the main character's after him and made him the most desirable character in the book. This is the perk you have as a writer: humans die, but your characters are immortal. It still broke my heart when I remembered the part of the novel: Zosima comforts a woman who has lost her little son, Alexei. The description was so vivid, I now can see he went through the same pain not too long before he wrote this book.

I had avoided The Brothers Karamazov because I was afraid it would be too much for me. Overall I agree, this book is not for the faint of heart. It is sometimes too difficult to follow. But, to experience the depth of thought behind the philosophical questioning and as -Freud put it- to read "the most magnificent novel ever written", I recommend every reader who is ready for this journey. ( )
  soontobefree | Jun 25, 2019 |
This is an amazing, transcending book. Although I preferred the first third of it to the last, I completely recognize the scope and intensity of the prose. The characters are vivid and vital. I was very pleased reading it. ( )
  DanielSTJ | May 5, 2019 |
It took me a year or so to finish this- but I'm so glad I did. Though I took a long time to understand and warm up to the characters, they are brilliantly vivid and alive. All through the book I tried to place myself among the Karamazov brothers but found a piece of each in me. Ivan the intellectual, Alyosha the monk, and Mitya the hedonist; the brothers are magnificently crafted archetypes. The book made me think a lot and I believe I'll be pondering over it for a long time after. ( )
  jakebornheimer | Mar 27, 2019 |
Though originally intimidated, I found this to be very readable and looked forward to my daily time with it. I was challenged to read this by my daughter, who is in college, and developed a reading plan that allowed me to complete it in 2 weeks - 375,000 words according to Siri!

The story, about three very different brothers plus an illegitimate one, who have to share a father that is barely tolerable as a human being, moves along at a rapid pace over the period of a few months.

Philosophical discussions between the brothers are fascinating and enlightening. This is the meat of the book and worth returning to and to discuss with others.

Overall, I loved the book, though it was disturbing to know what the future of Russia looked like - the worst fears of the author times 1000!

The resolution is acceptable, but it is obvious this story is not done - though Dostoyevsky didn't live to continue it.

This Heritage edition is absolutely stunning. The Fritz Eichenberg illustrations perfectly illuminate the story and I appreciated them as a reward as I came across each one reading through this very long book. My Highest Recommendation! ( )
  BionicJim | Mar 1, 2019 |
What a book. A more coherent review coming. But what a book. I'm so glad I read it!!! ( )
  tntbeckyford | Feb 16, 2019 |

Dostoevsky, Fyodorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Anhava, MarttiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bazzarelli, EridanoForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Brockway, HarryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Davidson, FrederickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Eichenberg, FritzIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Eng, Jan van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fondse, MarkoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sales, JoanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Volokhonsky, LarissaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yarmolinsky, AvrahmIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Verily, verily, I say unto, you, except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringth forth much fruit.
— John 12:24
Tillägnas Anna Grigorjevna Dostojevskaja
Dedicated to

Anna Grigorievna Dostoevsky
Alexey Fyodorovich Karamazov was the third son of Fyodor Pavlovich Karamazov, a landowner well known in our district in his own day, and still remembered among us owing to his tragic and obscure death, which happened just thirteen years ago, and of which I shall speak in its proper place. (Garnett, 1912)
Aleksei Fyodorovich Karamazov was the third son of Fyodor Pavlovich Karamazov, a landowner of our district, extremely well known in his time (and to this day still remembered in these parts) on account of his violent and mysterious death exactly thirteen years ago, the circumstances of which I shall relate in due course. (Avsey 1994)
Alexey Fyodorovitch Karamazov was the third son of Fyodor Pavlovitch Karamazov, a landowner well known in our district in his own day, and still remembered among us owing to his gloomy and tragic death, which happened thirteen years ago, and which I shall describe in its proper place. (Garnett, Great Books, 1952)
Alexei Fyodorovich Karamazov was the third son of a landowner from our district, Fyodor Pavlovich Karamazov, well known in his own day (and still remembered among us) because of his dark and tragic death, which happened exactly thirteen years ago and which I shall speak of in its proper place. (Pevear/Volokhonsky, 1990)
Very well then - tell me the truth, squash me like a cockroach.
(McDuff,1993)
In schools children are a tribe without mercy.
(McDuff, 1993)
I have, as it were, torn my soul in half before you, and you have taken advantage of it and are rummaging with your fingers in both halves along the torn place...O God!
(McDuff, 1993)
I'm a Karamazov - when I fall into the abyss, I go straight into it, head down and heels up . . .
Individual volumes should not be combined with the complete set/work or different volumes of the same set/work.

Tre fratelli con caratteri molto diversi: uno orgoglioso e sensuale, uno razionale fino all'eccesso e uno sinceramente religioso; un figlio illegittimo malato ed emarginato ed un padre avaro e crudele, odiato e disprezzato da tutti.
(piopas)
Sad Russian people
griping about God and stuff.
Wish Dad was still here.
(LeBoeuf)

The award-winning translation of Dostoevsky's last and greatest novel.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:31 -0400)

Presents the story of a patricide in which the murdered man's sons share varying degrees of complicity and depicts the search for truth--about man, about life, about the existence of God.

Legacy Library: Fyodor Dostoevsky

Fyodor Dostoevsky has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Fyodor Dostoevsky's legacy profile.

See Fyodor Dostoevsky's author page.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,504,276 books! | Top bar: Always visible