The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky

The Brothers Karamazov (original 1880; edition 2002)

by Fyodor Dostoevsky, Richard Pevear (Translator), Larissa Volokhonsky (Translator)

18,83620388 (4.39)4 / 836
Member:lilisin
Title:The Brothers Karamazov
Authors:Fyodor Dostoevsky
Other authors:Richard Pevear (Translator), Larissa Volokhonsky (Translator)
Info:Farrar, Straus and Giroux (2002), Paperback, 824 pages
Tags:Russia, english, unread, Colorado

The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky (1880)

The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky (PrincessPaulina, melies)
    PrincessPaulina: "The Idiot" is overlooked compared to Dostoevsky's other work, but in my opinion it's the most engaging. Deals with upper crust society in pre-revolutionary Russia
    The Master of Petersburg by J. M. Coetzee (xtien)
    xtien: Brilliand novel by Coetzee about a fictional Dostoevsky
    Thus Spoke Zarathustra by Friedrich Nietzsche (igor.chubin)
Romans (21)
Unread books (1,018)

English (184)  Dutch (4)  Italian (3)  Spanish (3)  German (3)  French (2)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  Russian (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (203)
At times difficult and quite tedious... but after 200 pages there are some great events and better discussions. A confused but decidedly confused opinion about belief and faith. The 3 brothers are great characters. ( )
  jculkin | Feb 1, 2016 |
I am one who believes this is a classic that stands the test of time. A wonderful story about religion, about good and evil, about family. Yes, the author digresses from the main story; today, such a manuscript would undoubtedly be edited down. But we would then miss so many wonderful, thought-provoking ideas about human nature. Worth reading. ( )
1 vote LynnB | Jan 28, 2016 |
My biggest complaint about this was that the women seemed so fickle and ridiculous. Otherwise, the usual great writing of Dostoevsky. ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
"But what is there to wonder at, what is there so peculiarly horrifying in it for us? We are so accustomed to such crimes! That's what's so horrible, that such dark deeds have ceased to horrify us. What ought to horrify us is that we are so accustomed to it . . ."

A recent speech by President Obama? No. This is from Dostoyevsky's THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV, published in 1880. I don't know why I never got around to reading it, but I'm glad I finally did. There are some absolutely brilliant passages in it. Read it carefully and it will make you think more deeply about philosophy, religion, motives, and human nature. ( )
1 vote DonnaMarieMerritt | Jan 1, 2016 |

Pyykkö, LeaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Volokhonsky, LarissaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yarmolinsky, AvrahmIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Verily, verily, I say unto, you, except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringth forth much fruit.
— John 12:24
Tillägnas Anna Grigorjevna Dostojevskaja
Dedicated to

Anna Grigorievna Dostoevsky
Alexey Fyodorovich Karamazov was the third son of Fyodor Pavlovich Karamazov, a landowner well known in our district in his own day, and still remembered among us owing to his tragic and obscure death, which happened just thirteen years ago, and of which I shall speak in its proper place. (Garnett, 1912)
Aleksei Fyodorovich Karamazov was the third son of Fyodor Pavlovich Karamazov, a landowner of our district, extremely well known in his time (and to this day still remembered in these parts) on account of his violent and mysterious death exactly thirteen years ago, the circumstances of which I shall relate in due course. (Avsey 1994)
Alexey Fyodorovitch Karamazov was the third son of Fyodor Pavlovitch Karamazov, a landowner well known in our district in his own day, and still remembered among us owing to his gloomy and tragic death, which happened thirteen years ago, and which I shall describe in its proper place. (Garnett, Great Books, 1952)
Alexei Fyodorovich Karamazov was the third son of a landowner from our district, Fyodor Pavlovich Karamazov, well known in his own day (and still remembered among us) because of his dark and tragic death, which happened exactly thirteen years ago and which I shall speak of in its proper place. (Pevear/Volokhonsky, 1990)
Very well then - tell me the truth, squash me like a cockroach.
(McDuff,1993)
In schools children are a tribe without mercy.
(McDuff, 1993)
I have, as it were, torn my soul in half before you, and you have taken advantage of it and are rummaging with your fingers in both halves along the torn place...O God!
(McDuff, 1993)
I'm a Karamazov - when I fall into the abyss, I go straight into it, head down and heels up . . .
Individual volumes should not be combined with the complete set/work or different volumes of the same set/work.

The award-winning translation of Dostoevsky's last and greatest novel.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:31 -0400)

The violent lives of three sons are exposed when their father is murdered and each one attempts to come to terms with his guilt.

Legacy Library: Fyodor Dostoevsky

Fyodor Dostoevsky has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Fyodor Dostoevsky's legacy profile.

See Fyodor Dostoevsky's author page.

5 1974

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,123,411 books! | Top bar: Always visible