The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky

The Brothers Karamazov (original 1880; edition 2002)

by Fyodor Dostoevsky, Richard Pevear (Translator), Larissa Volokhonsky (Translator)

17,90218696 (4.39)1 / 769
Member:lilisin
Title:The Brothers Karamazov
Authors:Fyodor Dostoevsky
Other authors:Richard Pevear (Translator), Larissa Volokhonsky (Translator)
Info:Farrar, Straus and Giroux (2002), Paperback, 824 pages
Tags:Russia, english, unread, Colorado

The Brothers Karamazov by Fedor Mikhaïlovitch Dostoïevski (1880)

The Idiot by Fedor Mikhaïlovitch Dostoïevski (PrincessPaulina, melies)
    PrincessPaulina: "The Idiot" is overlooked compared to Dostoevsky's other work, but in my opinion it's the most engaging. Deals with upper crust society in pre-revolutionary Russia
    The Master of Petersburg by J.M. Coetzee (xtien)
    xtien: Brilliand novel by Coetzee about a fictional Dostoevsky
    Thus Spoke Zarathustra by Friedrich Nietzsche (igor.chubin)

English (170)  Italian (3)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (3)  German (2)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Hebrew (1)  French (1)  Russian (1)  All languages (186)
Amazing. More interesting and strikingly modern goings-on here than in any other 19th century novel besides Moby Dick, with much more believable characters. I could have done with much more of Ivan Karamazov and less of Alyosha and Dmitri, and certainly the Elder Zosima outstayed his welcome and added a month or two to the time it took me to finish the book. Ivan's freethinking riffs and battle against religious nonsense are stirring and heroic--they're the reason I'll return to the book in year to come. ( )
1 vote AThurman | Dec 7, 2014 |
Dostoyevsky's status as one of the Russian masters is fully deserved, and this is probably his greatest masterpiece, but it is a long book! I recommend this edition for its lively modern translation and excellent notes. ( )
  bodachliath | Nov 11, 2014 |
Two of the grown sons of Fyodor Pavlovich Karamazov gather in the cell of Father Zosima, an Elder of a Russian monastery in hope of reconciling their father and their older half-brother Demitri. One of the younger brothers, Alyosha is disciple of Father Zosima and a monk at the monastery, while his brother Ivan is an ardent atheist. But when Fyodor Pavlovich himself arrives he immediately begins to play the buffoon, much to the embarrassment of his family, and when Demitri arrives, he flies into a rage. All hope of reconciliation is gone.

Intense family fights over money and romantic rivalry lead to murder and robbery. But which brother or brothers are guilty of the deed? The author’s final work is a passionate saga of crime, family dysfunction, the struggles between good and evil and faith and disbelief, and his hopes for the future of Russia. Brilliant dialog moves this carefully constructed novel right along. It’s filled with psychological insight, suspense, pathos, and his thoughts on religion, politics and the human condition. ( )
2 vote MaowangVater | Sep 17, 2014 |
Very readable but I found that what I was reading dull more often than not. Fyodor Dostoevski is just not my cup of tea... ( )
  leslie.98 | Jul 17, 2014 |
Some really great content thematically... BUT it's probably the most tedious book I've ever read. Someone explained to me that these used to come out in something like a magazine or newspaper form periodically, which makes some sense. But still... find an abridged version if you can. ( )
  MeriwetherR | May 19, 2014 |

Pyykkö, LeaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Volokhonsky, LarissaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yarmolinsky, AvrahmIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Verily, verily, I say unto, you, except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringth forth much fruit. - John 12:24
Tillägnas Anna Grigorjevna Dostojevskaja
Dedicated to

Anna Grigorievna Dostoevsky
Alexey Fyodorovich Karamazov was the third son of Fyodor Pavlovich Karamazov, a landowner well known in our district in his own day, and still remembered among us owing to his tragic and obscure death, which happened just thirteen years ago, and of which I shall speak in its proper place. (Garnett, 1912)
Aleksei Fyodorovich Karamazov was the third son of Fyodor Pavlovich Karamazov, a landowner of our district, extremely well known in his time (and to this day still remembered in these parts) on account of his violent and mysterious death exactly thirteen years ago, the circumstances of which I shall relate in due course. (Avsey 1994)
Alexey Fyodorovitch Karamazov was the third son of Fyodor Pavlovitch Karamazov, a landowner well known in our district in his own day, and still remembered among us owing to his gloomy and tragic death, which happened thirteen years ago, and which I shall describe in its proper place. (Garnett, Great Books, 1952)
Alexei Fyodorovich Karamazov was the third son of a landowner from our district, Fyodor Pavlovich Karamazov, well known in his own day (and still remembered among us) because of his dark and tragic death, which happened exactly thirteen years ago and which I shall speak of in its proper place. (Pevear/Volokhonsky, 1990)
Very well then - tell me the truth, squash me like a cockroach.
(McDuff,1993)

In schools children are a tribe without mercy.
(McDuff, 1993)
I have, as it were, torn my soul in half before you, and you have taken advantage of it and are rummaging with your fingers in both halves along the torn place...O God!
(McDuff, 1993)
I'm a Karamazov - when I fall into the abyss, I go straight into it, head down and heels up . . .
Individual volumes should not be combined with the complete set/work or different volumes of the same set/work.

The award-winning translation of Dostoevsky's last and greatest novel.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:56 -0400)

Story of four brothers who become involved in the murder of their own father, Fyodor Pavlovich Karamazov.

Legacy Library: Fyodor Dostoevsky

Fyodor Dostoevsky has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Fyodor Dostoevsky's legacy profile.

See Fyodor Dostoevsky's author page.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,376,035 books! | Top bar: Always visible