The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky

The Brothers Karamazov (original 1880; edition 2002)

by Fyodor Dostoevsky, Richard Pevear (Translator), Larissa Volokhonsky (Translator)

19,01921086 (4.38)4 / 839
Member:lilisin
Title:The Brothers Karamazov
Authors:Fyodor Dostoevsky
Other authors:Richard Pevear (Translator), Larissa Volokhonsky (Translator)
Info:Farrar, Straus and Giroux (2002), Paperback, 824 pages
Tags:Russia, english, unread, Colorado

The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky (1880)

The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky (PrincessPaulina, melies)
    PrincessPaulina: "The Idiot" is overlooked compared to Dostoevsky's other work, but in my opinion it's the most engaging. Deals with upper crust society in pre-revolutionary Russia
    The Master of Petersburg by J. M. Coetzee (xtien)
    xtien: Brilliand novel by Coetzee about a fictional Dostoevsky
    Thus Spoke Zarathustra by Friedrich Nietzsche (igor.chubin)
Romans (21)

English (191)  Dutch (4)  Italian (3)  Spanish (3)  German (3)  French (2)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  Russian (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (210)
This novel is full of:

- Repetition. For some reason everyone in that village thinks that others are deaf. And they should repeat any important sentences twice. It would be cool if only one character did it, but it seems it does not matter how well or bad educated you are. Repeating sentences is cool.

- Sick people. Main reason of sickness is being worried. No less than three characters would get fever and bed rest for weeks after worrying too much. There are also other source of sickness to the point of wondering if the water around there is drinkable at all.

- Unrealistic dialogues. Monologue is the main way of conversing, it seems. Always about God, ethics or any other abstract topic, of course.

- More repetition. I hope not to reveal much saying there will be a trial in the novel. Witnesses will repeat everything which had happened in the novel till that point. Then the public prosecutor will summarize it again and then the defense lawyer will repeat it for the fourth time. Each with a slight different angle and explaining about the Russian soul. This part is so dry that even people giving 5 stars to the novel complains about it.

- Exaggeration. This is the pattern used by half of the characters around 40 or 50 times in the novel:
I will unless . Serious guys, you are way too dramatic.

- Lack of speech. Often, way too often something happens and some character is speechless. Which is cool because some other will start its 10pages monologue so someone has to give room.

- Lack of resolution. Sure Dostoyevsky wanted to make a second and third part of this, but could have rounded up this one a little bit more. Like, what happened with Liza, she disappears 300pages before the end and there is no hint of what's going on with that.

I could continue. I've seen the rest of the reviews. Lots of 5 stars. I've read them, I can't buy the arguments.
For instance: "It has friendship, family, doubt, self-sacrifice. Everything what's being human"
Sure, but so does other many many books. Damn, Hyperion, a sci-fy book, read it, the consul story only got all that. And that's one of 7 pilgrims.

Other argument "Very realistic" . Come on, the conversations there were ridiculous as well as most of the characters. They are extreme characters to represent ideas "the passion" "the rationale" "the faith" etc. It was everything but realistic.

I've also seen reviews of people saying things like "slow, boring, took me forever" and give it 5 stars...

If anything I can buy it made you think. Nice. I like that, extra star for it.

But Dostoyevsky totally blew up this one. He needed more sun there and going out for a walk instead of so many hours writing, would he have finish this book at a 200 pages mark, it would have been good. Delete monologues and repetitions, that's 400pages off at least.

trusmis | Apr 30, 2016 |
С надрывом)
Не могу согласиться, с теми, кто ставит данное про​изведение выше Идиота и Преступление и наказание. ​Категорично не согласен. Слишком много здесь воды,​ слишком нудные и длинные рассуждения о боге, рели​гии, какой-то особой русской душе. Скучно все это ​и не нужно. К тому же язык повествования восприним​ается труднее чем в первых двух. Психологические п​ортреты так -же раскрыты мельче , чем в первых дву​х. Ожидал чего-то грандиозного, жизнеопределяющего​ от этого романа. Не оправдались.​ ( )
  Billy.Jhon | Apr 25, 2016 |
Aye yi yi.

I didn't love it. It took me 2 months and 3 days to read this puppy.

Am I glad I finished? Yes

Will I re-read it some day? No way

The best parts of this book are when characters are doing actual things, and when Dostoyevsky describes Russia and Russian things and "the Russian way". Sometimes he has his characters do this, sometime the narrator. I feel like I learned a lot about Russia after the serfs were emancipated (and about how that emancipation affected everyone). I was shocked to read that trials were by jury. (Actually, I think I might just look that up, because I just can't believe it was true.)

The worst parts are the long-winded philosophical/religious discussions/arguments that go on amongst the characters. Soooo tiring. I know nothing about the Russian Orthodox church (let alone about that church in the 19th century), so it all just left me tired and bored.

Also, the women. The women are ridiculous. The scream, they cry, they beg, they fight, they are helpless, etc etc etc. With the exception of Katya, they also seem unable to make any decision on their own. There are so many types of men in this book, but the women are all slight variations of the same. ( )
  Dreesie | Apr 12, 2016 |
I give up - I just can't get into the novel, great as it may be. I must have tried half a dozen times and always get bogged down about a tenth of the way in.
  ChrisNewton | Mar 18, 2016 |
I admit I did not finish this book. But I did read about 2/3 of the book (and all of the Cliff's Notes). I appreciate Dostoyevsky's work but he spends so much time telling us what he is going to tell us, it just drove me crazy. Still, he is a master of the psychological novel. I highly recommend [Crime and Punishment] instead. ( )
  BookConcierge | Mar 5, 2016 |

Pyykkö, LeaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Volokhonsky, LarissaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yarmolinsky, AvrahmIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Verily, verily, I say unto, you, except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringth forth much fruit.
— John 12:24
Tillägnas Anna Grigorjevna Dostojevskaja
Dedicated to

Anna Grigorievna Dostoevsky
Alexey Fyodorovich Karamazov was the third son of Fyodor Pavlovich Karamazov, a landowner well known in our district in his own day, and still remembered among us owing to his tragic and obscure death, which happened just thirteen years ago, and of which I shall speak in its proper place. (Garnett, 1912)
Aleksei Fyodorovich Karamazov was the third son of Fyodor Pavlovich Karamazov, a landowner of our district, extremely well known in his time (and to this day still remembered in these parts) on account of his violent and mysterious death exactly thirteen years ago, the circumstances of which I shall relate in due course. (Avsey 1994)
Alexey Fyodorovitch Karamazov was the third son of Fyodor Pavlovitch Karamazov, a landowner well known in our district in his own day, and still remembered among us owing to his gloomy and tragic death, which happened thirteen years ago, and which I shall describe in its proper place. (Garnett, Great Books, 1952)
Alexei Fyodorovich Karamazov was the third son of a landowner from our district, Fyodor Pavlovich Karamazov, well known in his own day (and still remembered among us) because of his dark and tragic death, which happened exactly thirteen years ago and which I shall speak of in its proper place. (Pevear/Volokhonsky, 1990)
Very well then - tell me the truth, squash me like a cockroach.
(McDuff,1993)
In schools children are a tribe without mercy.
(McDuff, 1993)
I have, as it were, torn my soul in half before you, and you have taken advantage of it and are rummaging with your fingers in both halves along the torn place...O God!
(McDuff, 1993)
I'm a Karamazov - when I fall into the abyss, I go straight into it, head down and heels up . . .
Individual volumes should not be combined with the complete set/work or different volumes of the same set/work.

The award-winning translation of Dostoevsky's last and greatest novel.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:31 -0400)

The violent lives of three sons are exposed when their father is murdered and each one attempts to come to terms with his guilt.

Legacy Library: Fyodor Dostoevsky

Fyodor Dostoevsky has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Fyodor Dostoevsky's legacy profile.

See Fyodor Dostoevsky's author page.

5 1987

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,258,674 books! | Top bar: Always visible