The Brothers Karamazov (Signet Classics) by…

The Brothers Karamazov (Signet Classics) (original 1880; edition 2007)

by Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Sara Paretsky (Afterword), Manuel Komroff (Foreword)

18,57819792 (4.39)3 / 817
Title:The Brothers Karamazov (Signet Classics)
Authors:Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Other authors:Sara Paretsky (Afterword), Manuel Komroff (Foreword)
Info:Signet Classics (2007), Paperback, 928 pages

The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky (1880)

The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky (PrincessPaulina, melies)
    PrincessPaulina: "The Idiot" is overlooked compared to Dostoevsky's other work, but in my opinion it's the most engaging. Deals with upper crust society in pre-revolutionary Russia
    The Master of Petersburg by J. M. Coetzee (xtien)
    xtien: Brilliand novel by Coetzee about a fictional Dostoevsky
    Thus Spoke Zarathustra by Friedrich Nietzsche (igor.chubin)
Romans (21)
Unread books (1,055)

English (178)  Dutch (4)  Italian (3)  Spanish (3)  German (3)  French (2)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  Russian (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (197)
Boy, I found Fyodor Dostoevsky's "The Brothers Karamazov" to be a really tough read. (I'm currently working my way through Proust and those novels were conquered much faster than this one.) The prose is really dense and Dostoevsky's penchant for repeating made this a difficult read for me.

That said, I did enjoy the story of three brothers, Dmitry, Ivan and Aloysha, who traveled very different paths in life after rejection by their father. The father is murdered and Dmitry is accused and the case moves right along to trial.

It's an interesting book. I didn't like it as much as other works by Dostoevsky, which I read in college when I had professors pointing out the threads that paralleled what was going on in society as the time. This book felt more like an interesting story. ( )
  amerynth | Aug 31, 2015 |
4.5 ( )
  Gustavo_Penha | Aug 19, 2015 |
I couldn't even tell you the names of the four brothers. I do remember reading the parable of the grand inquisitor and being amazed at some of the enmity between the brothers. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
The Brothers Karamazov, by Fyodor Dostoyevsky, is a fascinating puzzle. It is removed from the present reader by more than a century, hidden behind the wall of translation, and describing a people whose customs and manners are as foreign as alien cultures in science fiction. Yet, universal truths flood through. Individuals, strange as they may be, come alive. It seems as if it could be turned into a long running television soap opera, or a two part episode of Law and Order. But these formats would find it difficult to include Dostoyevsky himself as he directly confronts the reader both to enhance and clarify the story and to emphasize the philosophical ideas that the reader might not have picked up from the symbolism of the work. I especially liked two of these well known philosophical passages involving Ivan Karamazov; the Grand Inquisitor and Ivan’s hallucination of the Devil. This book is not for the faint of heart, but I doubt that you could understand Russia without having read it. ( )
1 vote drardavis | Jun 26, 2015 |
Many sections read twice. Dostoyevsky is dough-y going but you re glad you made the effort when the last chapter is done. Fr Zosima, the Grand Inquisitor, the modern scientific atheist Ivan, all essential mental equipment. ( )
  ted_newell | Jun 20, 2015 |

Pyykkö, LeaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Volokhonsky, LarissaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yarmolinsky, AvrahmIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Verily, verily, I say unto, you, except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringth forth much fruit.
— John 12:24
Tillägnas Anna Grigorjevna Dostojevskaja
Dedicated to

Anna Grigorievna Dostoevsky
Alexey Fyodorovich Karamazov was the third son of Fyodor Pavlovich Karamazov, a landowner well known in our district in his own day, and still remembered among us owing to his tragic and obscure death, which happened just thirteen years ago, and of which I shall speak in its proper place. (Garnett, 1912)
Aleksei Fyodorovich Karamazov was the third son of Fyodor Pavlovich Karamazov, a landowner of our district, extremely well known in his time (and to this day still remembered in these parts) on account of his violent and mysterious death exactly thirteen years ago, the circumstances of which I shall relate in due course. (Avsey 1994)
Alexey Fyodorovitch Karamazov was the third son of Fyodor Pavlovitch Karamazov, a landowner well known in our district in his own day, and still remembered among us owing to his gloomy and tragic death, which happened thirteen years ago, and which I shall describe in its proper place. (Garnett, Great Books, 1952)
Alexei Fyodorovich Karamazov was the third son of a landowner from our district, Fyodor Pavlovich Karamazov, well known in his own day (and still remembered among us) because of his dark and tragic death, which happened exactly thirteen years ago and which I shall speak of in its proper place. (Pevear/Volokhonsky, 1990)
Very well then - tell me the truth, squash me like a cockroach.
In schools children are a tribe without mercy.
(McDuff, 1993)
I have, as it were, torn my soul in half before you, and you have taken advantage of it and are rummaging with your fingers in both halves along the torn place...O God!
(McDuff, 1993)
I'm a Karamazov - when I fall into the abyss, I go straight into it, head down and heels up . . .
Individual volumes should not be combined with the complete set/work or different volumes of the same set/work.

The award-winning translation of Dostoevsky's last and greatest novel.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:31 -0400)

The violent lives of three sons are exposed when their father is murdered and each one attempts to come to terms with his guilt.

Legacy Library: Fyodor Dostoevsky

Fyodor Dostoevsky has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Fyodor Dostoevsky's legacy profile.

See Fyodor Dostoevsky's author page.

5 1954

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,882,340 books! | Top bar: Always visible