The Risk of Darkness: A Simon Serrailler…

The Risk of Darkness: A Simon Serrailler Mystery (original 2006; edition 2010)

by Susan Hill

398None26,889 (3.63)72
Member:darkchocolate
Title:The Risk of Darkness: A Simon Serrailler Mystery
Authors:Susan Hill
Info:Overlook TP (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2

The Risk of Darkness by Susan Hill (2006)

Love this series. Complex characters, moral questions, well developed,relationships among the character s combined with a strong element of mystery make this a winning series ( )
  ccayne | Nov 24, 2013 |
Hill really is a fine writer, and this series really hits its stride here. ( )
  ehines | Nov 3, 2013 |
Ook dit laatste boek van Simon Serrailler was weer prettig lezen. Nu moet ik wel eerlijk zijn dat het niet echt een spannend boek is. Het leest meer als een roman. Het eerste boek met hem in de hoofdrol was echt spannend. Het tweede boek en dit boek waren meer gebaseerd op het wel en wee van de familie Serrailler. Ik vond het dus wel leuke boeken om te lezen maar als je het eerste boek hebt gelezen hoef je dus niet voor de spanning deze boeken te lezen, dat zal nogal een teleurstelling zijn. ( )
  Gea1967 | Sep 22, 2013 |
Six-word review: Every violent act has many victims.

Extended review:

That six-word review is really not a review so much as a statement of a major theme of the book. Not only is this third Simon Serrailler novel packed with violent acts, and especially violent criminal acts, but it is also an inventory of collateral damage. Even people at several removes from the perpetrators and their direct victims are seen to be harmed as a result of the antisocial acts of a few.

This is a powerful message.

In delivering that message through a gripping narrative, the book certainly succeeds. It held my attention through a very fast read of 374 pages.

Nevertheless, I came away dissatisfied yet again--even more so, perhaps, than at the end of the second book of the series.

This book reveals what should have been disclosed in the conclusion of The Pure in Heart, but wasn't: namely, who committed the abductions and murders of the missing children. However, we are left to wonder what the perpetrator actually did, and even more important, why. It took a whole third novel to close the case that occupied the attention of the (nominal) main character, Simon Serailler, throughout the second, and we are still left with major unanswered questions.

Perhaps the problem here lies in expectations. Beneath the title are the words "A Simon Serailler Mystery." To employ the label "mystery" is to invoke the conventions of a genre, and foremost among the traditional conventions of this genre is that the mystery be explained and the questions answered by the end. It would be fair to call these stories "crime novels," for they are certainly about crime, its effects, and the process of solving crimes, but they are not really mysteries in the usual way.

The principal character, Simon Serailler, doesn't even do any detecting or crime solving. Curiously, he seems to simply stand at the hub of a wheel while other characters, good, bad, and in between, spin around him.

An odd aspect of all three books in this series so far is that we are routinely shown the sensations, thoughts, and actions of numerous point-of-view characters but that there is an opacity in all of them. Secrets are alluded to but not exposed. We are told that the character remembers something, but not what it is that the character remembers. A troubling recollection, a persistent doubt, a disturbing association--these things frequently stay hidden. An inner narrative can't be called a character study if the key to a character's behavior remains oblique. Puzzles remain puzzles.

And that insight into what makes characters what they are, revealing why they do what they do, is to me one of the main pleasures in reading fiction. By withholding those revelations, the author is, in my opinion, denying me the payoff I expect in return for giving my attention to her story.

I picked up this book in haste when I made a quick stop by the library en route to an appointment where I knew I'd have some waiting time. I spotted it on the shelf and thought it would be better than a complete unknown. And it probably was. The narrative delivery, style, pacing, and all those other qualities are satisfactory. It is only that yet again it raises questions and then, frustratingly, obscures the answers. Yes, life is like that. But a mystery novel isn't supposed to be. ( )
1 vote Meredy | May 3, 2013 |
I finished this book with some sadness, as I have now read all the Simon Serailler novels. If you like well-written British police procedurals, Susan Hill is hard to beat. They are thoughtful and pose interesting moral questions. The characters are remarkable. I don't know too many writers who can convey character and personality so well, and not just for the major characters. Very highly recommended. ( )
  DowntownLibrarian | Feb 14, 2013 |
TO
THE NEVER FORGOTTEN ONES
There was no fly and there should have been a fly.

Simon Serrailler's story began in "The Various Haunts of Men" (about a serial killer) and continued with "The Pure in Heart" (about a kidnapped schoolboy). Susan Hill is not afraid to tackle difficult issues, nor to face up to the realities of stress in an ordinary English police station. Her third crime novel, "The Risk of Darkness", even more compulsive and convincing, follows up the child abduction and explores the crazy grief of a widowed husband, a derangement, which turns to obsession and threats, violence and terror. Meanwhile, handsome, introverted Simon Serrailler, whose cool reserve has broken the hearts of several women, finds his own heart troubled by the newest recruit to the Cathedral staff: a feisty female Anglican priest with red hair..."The Risk of Darkness" is packed with action and adventure. Like "Various Haunts", it hinges on a terrific twist, which comes as a complete surprise to the reader; and like "The Pure in Heart", it deals in depth with complex daily problems.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:53 -0400)

Following on from the child abduction in her previous novel 'The Pure in Heart' Susan Hill explores the crazy grief of a widowed husband, a derangement which turns to obsession and threats, violence and terror.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Risk of Darkness by Susan Hill was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,460,932 books! | Top bar: Always visible