The Secret Adversary by Agatha Christie

The Secret Adversary (1922)

by Agatha Christie

Title:The Secret Adversary
Authors:Agatha Christie
Collections:Your library, Read in 2013
Tags:British Mystery Fiction, Tommy and Tuppence (1), 2013 Challenge, Category: Sir Arthur Conan Doyle - Classic Crime, AlphaCat: The Letter

The Secret Adversary by Agatha Christie (1922)

Have His Carcase by Dorothy L. Sayers (danmoran)
    Maisie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear (cransell)
    The Stars, Like Dust by Isaac Asimov (themulhern)
    themulhern: These books have much the same sort of plot and style, although very different settings.
    The Whisper in the Gloom by Nicholas Blake (BeckyJP)

English (74)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (79)
my copy, only a few years old, is falling apart from use ( )
  katcoviello | Sep 21, 2016 |
I came close to giving this 4 stars but there are a few things that let me down in the plot. First, the identity of Mr. Brown was obvious from the moment he appears (or maybe it was just that way for me) despite repeated attempts to cast another character for the part. Second, the thrust of the plot is very much a product of its time and seems slightly trivial roughly a century later. Still, it was enjoyable and Agatha Christie here shows all the early signs of what she, at the time, was yet to be... the Queen of Mystery! ( )
  FolandJr | Aug 10, 2016 |
Tommy and Tuppence #1. A good story, first one with little bit of romance :)
I liked the plot even though i didnt get clue on what was there in those precious documents (so that England could burn it!!!!), neglecting that, the twists were awesome... It was a good read :) ( )
  PallaviSharma | May 9, 2016 |
When I was a teenager, I just read whichever Agatha Christie novels I stumbled across, at home or at the library. At first I didn't know that The Secret Adversary, even existed... and then I couldn't find it. (And then I went to university and stopped reading Christie, because there were so many other things to read.)

The Secret Adversary is an espionage thriller rather than a murder mystery. It required more suspension of disbelief I remember any of Christie's murder mysteries needing - I'm sure that a real underworld organisation of that ilk would be much more ruthless, and that amateurs investigating would need to be a bit less naive if they were to survive relatively unscathed.

I also thought the prose was a bit less - polished. Which would make sense, since this is also one of Christie's earliest novels, and presumably she grew as a writing during the following 50 years.

However Tommy and Tuppence are delightfully enthusiastic and they were the reason I kept picking the book back up again.

"Have you anything to say before you are put to death as a spy?"
"Simply lots of things," replied Tommy with the same urbanity as before.
"Do you deny that you were listening at the door?"
"I I do not. I must really apologise - but your conversation was so interesting that it overcame my scruples."
  Herenya | Mar 31, 2016 |
Tommy and Tuppence meet after WWI and commiserate that they can't find jobs. Decide willy-nilly to offer their services to do anything for a price. Find themselves knee-deep in spies, abductions and conspiracies. Is an excellent intro to T&T. ( )
  triciareads55 | Mar 22, 2016 |

Christie, Agathaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
May, NadiaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Siikarla, EvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To all those who lead
monotonous lives
in the hope that they may experience
at second hand
the delights and dangers of
It was 2 p.m. on the afternoon of May 7, 1915. (Prologue)
"Tommy, old thing!" (Chapter I)

She has been missing for five years. And neither her body nor the secret documents she was carrying have ever been found.
Now post-war England's economic recovery depends on finding her and getting the papers back. but he two young Brits working undercover for the ministry know only that her name was Jane Finn and the only photo of her is in the hands of her rich American cousin. they don't know yet about a mysterious and ruthless man called "Mr. Brown" or the beautiful, but sinister, older woman who knows all about Jane Finn ... and therefore must die.

From his hiding place behind the door Tommy could hear the Russian's fingers drumming on the table.
"Then what more do you want?"
"The document itself," said the German bluntly.
"Ah! It is not in your possession? But you know where it is?"
"One person - perhaps. And we are not sure of that even."
"Who is this person?"
"A girl."
Tommy held his breath.
"A girl?" the Russian's voice rose contemptuously. "And you have not made her speak? In Russia we have ways of making a girl talk."
"This case is different," said the German sullenly.
"How - different?" He paused for a moment, then went on" "Where is the girl now?"
"She is - "
But Tommy heard no more. A crashing blow descended on his head, and all was darkness ...

Where is Jane Finn? The mere mention of her name produced a very strange reaction all over London. So strange, in fact, that Tommy and Tuppence deceided to find this mysterious missing lady. And once those two determine sleuths made up their minds, nothing could stop them -- not international espionage, kidnapping...or even murder.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:30 -0400)

Hiring themselves out as "young adventurers" proves to be a smart move for Tommy and Tuppence. All Tuppence has to do in their first job is take an all-expense paid trip to Paris and pose as an American named Jane Finn. But with the assignment comes a bribe to keep quiet, a threat to her life, and the disappearance of her new employer. Now Tuppence's newest job is playing detective.… (more)

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400102693, 1400109213

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,818,509 books! | Top bar: Always visible