The Secret Adversary by Agatha Christie

The Secret Adversary (1922)

by Agatha Christie

Title:The Secret Adversary
Authors:Agatha Christie
Collections:Your library, Read in 2013
Tags:British Mystery Fiction, Tommy and Tuppence (1), 2013 Challenge, Category: Sir Arthur Conan Doyle - Classic Crime, AlphaCat: The Letter

The Secret Adversary by Agatha Christie (1922)

English (63)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (68)
Not so much of a “Whodunit?” this, but more of a “Who is he?” The “he” being an elusive criminal mastermind known by name as Mr Brown but known in person by almost none. I guessed who he was early on in the story!

This is also a “Where is she?” as another main plot is the search for a young lady who possesses some important papers. Mr Brown needs these papers, while “The Young Adventures” aim to thwart him.

The two main characters are likeable and gel well together. I like Tuppence’s dialogue. She and Tommy are a pair of 22-year-olds yet much of the time they come across as young teenagers. In fact the book on the whole strikes me as a children’s book for adults, if such a thing is possible.

The first three-quarters of the book appealed to me more than the last quarter. Somehow he seemed to lose some of the upbeat pace and become anti-climactic. Still, it was a good read nonetheless. ( )
  PhilSyphe | Oct 4, 2015 |
Tommy meets his childhood friend and former nurse Tuppence after they have been demobbed following the end of the Great War, and together they must use their wit and skill to untangle the mystery of a girl called Jane Finn, and the sinister form of the everyman criminal, Mr Brown. A cracking good second novel by Christie.

Full review here: https://bibliomaneblog.wordpress.com/2015/10/10/the-secret-adversary-by-agatha-christie-a-review-with-a-few-additional-thoughts-on-the-2015-television-adaptations/ ( )
  Bill_Bibliomane | Sep 18, 2015 |
I found this Nadia May narration much enhanced my enjoyment of this first Tommy and Tuppence book. Also, my admiration for Christie's writing is greater with this reread as she managed to keep me guessing even though I thought I remembered the solution. Her red herrings were so plausible I kept second-guessing myself thinking I had mis-remembered it! ( )
  leslie.98 | Jun 1, 2015 |

Another good page turner.
Nice to read about the beginning of Tommy and Tuppence. ( )
  GeoffSC | May 31, 2015 |
Tommy and Tuppence aren't my favourite Agatha Christie characters. This story is readable enough, but not Christie's best work in my view. ( )
  cazfrancis | Apr 22, 2015 |

Christie, Agathaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
May, NadiaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Siikarla, EvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To all those who lead
monotonous lives
in the hope that they may experience
at second hand
the delights and dangers of
It was 2 p.m. on the afternoon of May 7, 1915. (Prologue)
"Tommy, old thing!" (Chapter I)

She has been missing for five years. And neither her body nor the secret documents she was carrying have ever been found.
Now post-war England's economic recovery depends on finding her and getting the papers back. but he two young Brits working undercover for the ministry know only that her name was Jane Finn and the only photo of her is in the hands of her rich American cousin. they don't know yet about a mysterious and ruthless man called "Mr. Brown" or the beautiful, but sinister, older woman who knows all about Jane Finn ... and therefore must die.

From his hiding place behind the door Tommy could hear the Russian's fingers drumming on the table.
"Then what more do you want?"
"The document itself," said the German bluntly.
"Ah! It is not in your possession? But you know where it is?"
"One person - perhaps. And we are not sure of that even."
"Who is this person?"
"A girl."
Tommy held his breath.
"A girl?" the Russian's voice rose contemptuously. "And you have not made her speak? In Russia we have ways of making a girl talk."
"This case is different," said the German sullenly.
"How - different?" He paused for a moment, then went on" "Where is the girl now?"
"She is - "
But Tommy heard no more. A crashing blow descended on his head, and all was darkness ...

Where is Jane Finn? The mere mention of her name produced a very strange reaction all over London. So strange, in fact, that Tommy and Tuppence deceided to find this mysterious missing lady. And once those two determine sleuths made up their minds, nothing could stop them -- not international espionage, kidnapping...or even murder.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:30 -0400)

Hiring themselves out as "young adventurers" proves to be a smart move for Tommy and Tuppence. All Tuppence has to do in their first job is take an all-expense paid trip to Paris and pose as an American named Jane Finn. But with the assignment comes a bribe to keep quiet, a threat to her life, and the disappearance of her new employer. Now Tuppence's newest job is playing detective.… (more)

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400102693, 1400109213

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,880,185 books! | Top bar: Always visible