Jane Austen: Seven Novels by Jane Austen

Jane Austen: Seven Novels (edition 2007)

by Jane Austen

Member:brown8775
Title:Jane Austen: Seven Novels
Authors:Jane Austen
Info:Barnes and Noble (2007), Leather Bound, 1232 pages

Emma/Mansfield Park/Northanger Abbey/Persuasion/Pride and Prejudice/Sense and Sensibility AND Lady Susan by Jane Austen

Recently added byEchnaton, llebs, TariOronar, InTooBooks, BeagleyBee, ChellS20, private library, Tuckasaurus, ditox, stephani
Legacy LibrariesBarbara Pym
    What Jane Austen Ate and Charles Dickens Knew by Daniel Pool (1502Isabella)
    1502Isabella: Eplanation of facts of daily life as well as amusing trivia. Absolute must have!
    Longbourn by Jo Baker (1502Isabella)
    1502Isabella: Pride and Prejudice from a downstairs view; vivid picture of the servants' world in early 19th century

English (25)  Dutch (1)  All languages (26)
And here is another reason why this is the best sort of book: it *is* long, and *patient*, and *content*-- but it has also very short chapters, and very close to reality, so as not to make one.... confused, or, should I say, stressed and, "nervous".

I dare not say more.

(10/10) ( )
  Tullius22 | Apr 5, 2013 |
A beautiful book for all Jande Austen lovers. Well designed!
  ljnjsh | May 12, 2012 |
If you want to strengthen your vocabulary and just feel good about a lovely romantic story, this is the book for you. ( )
  Johnei | Feb 18, 2012 |
Jane Austen. That name conjures up so many different feelings. For some, the name immediately presents an image of long dresses and gloves and carriages, delicious British accents, and all the fun of social intrigue and careful manners. For others, it represents boredom, interminable miniseries (in which nothing blows up and everyone constantly has long and unintelligible conversations), and stuffy classics without any pictures. To this second group, I warn you... this is pretty much a love letter to her work. Read on at your own peril.

I was first introduced to Jane Austen through an old thread on NarniaWeb.com that asked people to list their all-time favorite authors and titles. Somehow I had reached my early twenties without ever having read Austen, or even knowing who she was. (We may have watched the five-hour BBC movie when I was younger, but I don't remember anything clearly.) In this thread, this "Jane Austen" person was mentioned again and again. So several months later when I saw a hardback volume of her complete novels at a library booksale, I picked it up. Hardbacks were three for a dollar that day, and this has to be one of my best booksale purchases ever. I read that volume of six novels in two weeks, in a state of utter astonishment and delight. Jane Austen isn't known for expanding readers' horizons and ideas, being concerned primarily with her characters' inner lives and small social circles, but she certainly enlarged mine.

Since that first baptism I have reread the novels many times, immersed myself in the many excellent miniseries and movies based on her works, and converted a great many people to the delights of her society (my husband included; to this day there is nothing we enjoy more than curling up on the couch and visiting Regency England for five hours together).

I love Jane Austen because she is just so fun. She explodes all the silly notions we modern readers have about the stuffiness and stodginess of "classic literature," and shows us that we are the stuffy ones for indulging in such chronological snobbery. Just because you lived in a time before photography was invented doesn't mean you couldn't have a wicked sense of humor and an eye for the ridiculous.

I love Jane Austen because she and I share many of the same moral and religious convictions, and her heroines learn, grow, and change over the course of their stories. They are the kind of characters I can both identify with and admire. And yet Austen is never preachy.

I love Jane Austen because her prose style is so impeccable. She says so much with so little, and inferring her meaning helps the reader enter into the story more deeply. She is humorous, but she knows how to be serious. She is entertaining; she is also compassionate. She never crosses into the realm of bitter satire; her sarcasm is playful rather than pushy. Her sharp wit flavors a warm humor and sensitivity. And people think her books are boring!

I love Jane Austen because I can read her stories in so many different moods. She can be a comfort read; she can be a challenging intellectual exercise. You can think about her stories and characters purely from a reader's point of view, reading breathlessly for that happy ending you know is coming, reveling in all the fun along the way—or you can go all scholarly and English-majorly on her and write papers about her views on society, her attitude toward the role of women, her thoughts on the domestic arrangements of the time, her criticism of various social hypocrisies, etc. Her novels are always in season.

I love Jane Austen because I can talk about her to readers with whom I have nothing else in common. The things to love about her work are so strong that they overcome objections that contemporary readers may have to her worldview or prose style.

So yes, I love Jane Austen. And I can think of no better way to celebrate my 500th review on LibraryThing than to express my enduring affection and respect for this body of work that has given me so many hours of pleasure. Thank you, Jane Austen. ( )
10 vote wisewoman | Nov 26, 2011 |
Can't get enough Jane Austen! This copy of mine is so worn out from reading from it so often! I do have other copies of them all so I trade off so that I don't totally ruin one! Just something about 'em!! ;) ( )
  dolphinchick | Jun 23, 2011 |

Jane Austenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Thomson, HughIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Some writers are admired by the academics and taught in the academy. - Introduction by Karen Joy Fowler
The family of Dashwood had been long settled in Sussex.
Please note this includes the shorter epistolary novel Lady Susan

Collection of all of Jane Austen's novels in one volume.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0143039504, Roughcut)

Now in Penguin Classics-a treasure trove of Jane Austen's novels

View our Austen-mania feature page here.

Few novelists have conveyed the subtleties and nuances of their own social milieu with the wit and insight of Jane Austen. Here in one volume are her seven great novels: Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Prejudice, Mansfield Park, Emma, Northanger Abbey, Persuasion, and Lady Susan. Through her vivacious and spirited heroines and their circle, Austen vividly portrays English middle-class life as the eighteenth century came to a close and the nineteenth century began. Each of the novels is a love story and a story about marriage—marriage for love, for financial security, for social status. But they are not romances; ironic, comic, and wise, they are masterly evocations of the society Jane Austen observed. This beautiful volume covers the literary career of one of England’s finest prose stylists of any century.

A Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition with French flaps and luxurious packaging
Features the definitive Penguin Classics texts recommended by the Jane Austen Society
New introduction by bestselling author of The Jane Austen Book Club Karen Joy Fowler

@DarcyLover1815 How come I got so hot and sticky under my petticoat when I danced with Knightley? Best not to think about it. Not. At. All.

From Twitterature: The World's Greatest Books in Twenty Tweets or Less

Watch a Video featuring The Complete Novels

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:10 -0400)

A collection of seven Jane Austen novels.

Four editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140259449, 0143039504, 0141030178, 0143068598

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,301,386 books! | Top bar: Always visible