Mouse and Dragon by Sharon Lee
    Scout's Progress by Sharon Lee (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Mouse and Dragon is the direct sequel to Scout's Progress.

Aelliana Caylon has survived her brother's attempt to kill her. Her mother, Delm Mizel, has declared her son and heir dead for his crimes. Daav yos'Phelium, Delm Korval, has taken her under his protection, now that she is able to say she does not feel safe in House Miz, el. And she and Daav are natural lifemates.

But Mizel views her simply as an asset, all the more valuable now that the heir is officially dead, and also resents her for having been the occasion of the events that caused his death. The Delm is determined to get her back and wring every bit of value out of her. Her brother's abuse of her has damaged her natural bond with Daav. And getting Ride the Luck offworld and starting a working, successful courier service is going to be even harder than she anticipated.

Nothing is made better by the fact that Daav's sister Kareen considers Daav's judgment worthless and Aelliana unfit to be associated with Clan Korval in any way. She's determined to make Aelliana publicly and spectacularly embarrass herself and Daav.

As they are both pressured by their clans, Mr. dea'Gauss works hard to negotiate a solution between Korval and Mizel, while Mizel works to achieve only one thing: getting Aelliana back under their thumb. But if that weren't enough, it also becomes clear that someone is stalking the Low Port and taking pilots. As Delm Korval, that's also Daav's problem to solve.

This is another thoroughly enjoyable Liaden adventure, mixing adventure with romance. There's enough background included that I think this can be read before the others, if this is the one you find. If you want more on what preceded the events of this story, you want to find Scout's Progress, where Daav and Aelliana meet.

Recommended.

I bought this book. ( )
  LisCarey | Sep 19, 2018 |
Very exciting continuation of the story of Daav and Aelliana! ( )
  leslie.98 | May 6, 2018 |
This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.leafmarks.com & Bookstooge's Reviews on the Road Facebook Group by Bookstooge's Exalted Permission. Title: Mouse and Dragon Series: Liaden Author: Sharon Lee & Steve Miller Rating: 4 of 5 Battle Axes Genre: SFF Pages: 512 Format: Kindle Synopsis: A direct sequel to Scout's Progress. In which we see how Daav becomes the man we know him from in other books and what happened to Caylon. Not much actually happens, but a lot of setup of events that shape future events. My Thoughts: I wish I had read this directly after Scout's Progress instead of waiting 18 months. I didn't actually realize that it had been so long until I went to look for the previous book and realized that, in publication order, there are several books between that and this. Next time around I'll be reading in Chronological Order. But for now, Publication is the best I think. Anyway, this was just as good as the previous Liaden books. Romance that I enjoy instead of gagging over. In space. But it is definitely a sequel and not be read before Scout's Progress. This would make no sense without that backdrop. " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Another story in the universe of Liad. Here we have what jumps you right into the action as a continuation. It has a very poor sense of time, the first half of the books seems to be an hour by hour tale of what happens in that continuation, and then we jump to months and years.

Ultimately this is a book that is entirely backstory, though the authors try to call this a tale of manners, which I think it is not. Not nearly as good as their previous work.

The tale of Liad has advanced far further than just dropping this into the canon. And with the unexpected twist, though in character as they have set things up, it is not something that satisfies. It wrenches and though trying to provide some otherworldly insight, it serves to cause paradox and confusion.

The Backstory that this sets up is one that could have been handled as a few lines in the other novels, as it has been before. Now that it is part of the canon, one has to place it in the context of a reread should the entirety of the canon be read again. Yet it is not really a stand alone piece and it really is not strong enough to want to be read again. ( )
  DWWilkin | Aug 17, 2015 |
The rest of the story of Aelliana and Daav. Less of a romp and more of a cliff-hanger with a bittersweet ending. One could read them in chronological order and not know what I already knew, as this book was not out when I began my Lee-Miller adventure. Very satisfying story-telling. **** ( )
  sibyx | Jun 10, 2015 |

Lee, SharonAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Miller, SteveAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Dunne, BernadetteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mattingly, David B.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The delm is the face and the voice of the clan, representing the interests of the clan to the world and solving those problems presented by the members of the clan. The clan's whole honor and melant'i reside with the delm.
- excerpted from the Liaden Code of Proper Conduct

On balance, Daav yos'Phelium thought as he strode down the hall toward his office, it had not been one of his better solvings.

Just as her powerful husband, the Delm of Korval, is about to whisk her away from the dangers of the Liad, Aelliana's family objects and she finds there is much more to the man she loves that she ever imagined--and that her escape from the Liad is part of a much larger plan.… (more)

Sharon Lee is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,406,730 books! | Top bar: Always visible