The Caine Mutiny: A Novel by Herman Wouk

The Caine Mutiny: A Novel (original 1951; edition 1992)

by Herman Wouk

Member:sylviawrigley
Title:The Caine Mutiny: A Novel
Authors:Herman Wouk
Info:Back Bay Books (1992), Paperback, 560 pages

The Caine Mutiny by Herman Wouk (1951)

English (38)  Dutch (1)  All (39)
Interesting study of the making of a modern day (1940s) mutiny. ( )
  addunn3 | Aug 15, 2017 |
I read several of Herman Wouk's early novels many years ago when I was in high school. Most of his novels are somewhat long. He likes to fully develop his characters which is one reason I enjoyed his books. My favorite was The Caine Mutiny. Reading it again now was very interesting. I found myself imagining what it had been like to read it the first time. This time I found it difficult to get into at first since I am now used to books that get to the meat of the story right away. By the end I realized that through the many stories about life onboard the Caine, I had watched the main character, Willie Keith, mature from a boy to a man. The chapters describing the mutiny and the subsequent court marshal are some of the most gripping I have ever read and were the main reason I decided to reread the book. ( )
  slsmith101 | Aug 14, 2017 |
Tale of a mutiny of The Caine and of its paranoid captain ( )
  JackSweeney | Jan 10, 2017 |
The Caine Mutiny was Herman Wouk’s first post World War II novel. Published in 1951, the novel qualified as contemporary fiction. Sixty-six years later it’s a classic coming-of-age story that reads like historical fiction.
The story isn’t about the U.S.S. Caine or even the ubiquitous Captain Queeg with his ball bearings. The Caine Mutiny is about Willie Keith, a spoiled rich kid who finds himself in a world unlike anything he’s ever known. A world in which he must make a decision that can and does destroy careers.
Willie wants to follow the right path. But which path is that? He could obey the orders of a superior officer, and perhaps go down with his ship. He could believe Lt Keefer’s assessment that the captain is unfit for duty and still obey orders. He could support his friend Lt Maryk, a man with true skills in seamanship. But what does that mean? It could mean dissuading Maryk from taking control of the ship. It could mean supporting Maryk’s decision to do so. And the decision must be made in the middle of a typhoon.
The Caine Mutiny won the Pulitzer Prize in 1951 for good reasons. Wouk’s words effortlessly take the reader aboard the Caine and into World War II mine-sweeping activities. He brings out the stresses of life in close quarters. Even more important, Wouk develops a classic theme as Keith struggles to become a man. ( )
  Sandra_Wagner-Wright | Jan 4, 2017 |
Another book that I first encountered as a movie. Because of that, I was surprised by the first section of the novel about Willie Keith before he joined The Caine. And the book continues on long past the movie too!

Keith's relationship with May Wynn has a lot more depth in the book, though I came close to despising Willie for his superior attitude towards her. In fact, all the characters had more nuances to them except for Steve Maryk. ( )
  leslie.98 | Sep 5, 2016 |

Herman Woukprimary authorall editionscalculated
Pariseau, KevinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This tale is for my wife,
with all my love.
He was of medium height, somewhat chubby, and good looking, with curly red hair and an innocent, gay face, more remarkable for a humorous air about the eyes and large mouth than for any strength of chin or nobility of nose.
The world became narrowed to a wobbling iron shell on a waste of foamy gray, and the business of the world was staring out at empty water or making red-ink insertions in the devil's own endless library of mildewed unintelligible volumes.
Please do not combine "The Caine Mutiny" (a novel) with "The Caine mutiny court-martial: A drama in two acts".

The Novel that Inspired the Now-Classic Film The Caine Mutiny and the Hit Broadway Play The Caine Mutiny Court-Martial Herman Wouk's boldly dramatic, brilliantly entertaining novel of life-and mutiny-on a Navy warship in the Pacific theater was immediately embraced, upon its original publication in 1951, as one of the first serious works of American fiction to grapple with the moral complexities and the human consequences of World War II. In the intervening half century, The Caine Mutiny has become a perennial favorite of readers young and old, has sold millions of copies throughout the world, and has achieved the status of a modern classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:13 -0400)

The story of a modern-day mutiny aboard a U.S. naval vessel.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,762,784 books! | Top bar: Always visible