Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace ... One School at a… (2006)

by Greg Mortenson, David Oliver Relin

One man's campaign to build schools in the most dangerous, remote, and anti-American reaches of Asia: in 1993 Greg Mortenson was an American mountain-climbing bum wandering emaciated and lost through Pakistan's Karakoram. After he was taken in and nursed back to health by the people of a Pakistani village, he promised to return one day and build them a school. From that rash, earnest promise grew one of the most incredible humanitarian campaigns of our time--Mortenson's one-man mission to counteract extremism by building schools, especially for girls, throughout the breeding ground of the Taliban. In a region where Americans are often feared and hated, he has survived kidnapping, death threats, and wrenching separations from his wife and children. But his success speaks for itself--at last count, his Central Asia Institute had built fifty-five schools.--From publisher description.… (more)
    Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide by Nicholas D. Kristof (rosylibrarian)
    Little Princes: One Man's Promise to Bring Home the Lost Children of Nepal by Conor Grennan (TooBusyReading)
    Three Cups of Deceit: How Greg Mortenson, Humanitarian Hero, Lost His Way by Jon Krakauer (BookWallah, TooBusyReading)
    BookWallah: Are you willing to hear the other side of this story... warning this is not pretty.
    TooBusyReading: I think it is important to read both sides of the story.
    Stones into Schools: Promoting Peace with Books, Not Bombs, in Afghanistan and Pakistan by Greg Mortenson (Furu, BookWallah, coclimber)
    BookWallah: If you are one of the few people in the USA that missed Greg's first (Three Cups of Tea) book you should make amends and rush to read this one.
    Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mt. Everest Disaster by Jon Krakauer (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: Both books contain personal accounts of experiences in the highest moutains of the world.
    The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind: Creating Currents of Electricity and Hope by William Kamkwamba (cmbohn)
    cmbohn: Both talk about how education changes lives for the better and how any sacrifice is worth it to receive an education.
    Reading Lolita in Tehran: A Memoir in Books by Azar Nafisi (spacepotatoes)
    Mountains beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder (Pferdina, cee2, Othemts)
    Right of Thirst by Frank Huyler (spacepotatoes)
    Monique and the Mango Rains by Kris Holloway (kelleykl)
    Coppola: A Pediatric Surgeon in Iraq by Chris Coppola (jlink)
    Outcasts United: A Refugee Team, an American Town by Warren St. John (JGoto)
    JGoto: Inspirational account of a young woman reaching refugee boys through soccer.
    Seasons of Sand by Ernst Aebi (Scotland)
    Nine Hills to Nambonkaha: Two Years in the Heart of an African Village by Sarah Erdman (bookwoman247)
    bookwoman247: Both books are humanitarian in nature, and both offer glimpses of Non-Western cultures.
    Mornings in Jenin by Susan Abulhawa (cougar_c)
    cougar_c: From one middle east country to the another - what "Three Cups of Tea" and "Mornings in Jenin" have in common is they show the human side of people trapped in a conflict.
    A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush by Eric Newby (Othemts)
    Full Tilt: Ireland to India with a Bicycle by Dervla Murphy (Othemts)

English (467)  Dutch (2)  Norwegian (2)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (473)
A reason I give this book two stars is because the prose is very slow at times. The book's content is pretty interesting, and the topic is timely and significant. This is the story of a man who carries out his promise to build a school for children in a small mountain village in Pakistan. One of the things I found particularly moving is the fact that he got threats and negative mail from Americans of all people. If nothing else, Mortenson's philosophy of promoting peace through education may well be the best possible way to fight terrorism in our time. It really is in our interest to promote education and peace. Why anyone would oppose this is something that will always puzzle me. The book reads a bit like an adventure tale and a bit like a travelogue. I think most people will enjoy it overall. And I think more people should be reading it because the book does provide an excellent look and overview at the regions of Central Asia, a place that very few people understand or appreciate. So, I do recommend it, just keep in mind it may be a bit slow to read at times.

(On an update note, after the various allegations about Mortenson and him taking money from his foundation, or at least misusing funds, came out, I am seriously disappointed to say the least. I guess my perception of him has changed, so I would have reservations over recommending this book to anyone). ( )
  bloodravenlib | Aug 17, 2020 |
Damn inspiring. Can you do a more meaningful thing? One gripe is that the writing has a stutter step to it... ( )
  bsmashers | Aug 1, 2020 |
This book certainly inspired me. I think the choice of living your life for a passion isn't easy but is a road worth taking, and one that Greg Mortenson chose. ( )
  linuskendall | Mar 22, 2020 |
Amazing, amazing, amazing. What an inspiring story. I think everyone should read the story of the work Greg Mortenson is doing in Pakistan and Afghanistan. ( )
  rlsova | Oct 29, 2019 |
I realize there is a lot of controversy over this book and Mortenson himself, but I found a lot of good was left to glean from it. By humanizing the people in countries that are so culturally different than the west it increases empathy and compassion. It makes a person realize that their wants and needs are not drastically different than our own. It inspires.Those who have taken issue with this book have absolutely thrown out the baby with the bathwater! ( )
  carliwi | Sep 23, 2019 |
This is a wonderful book that gives the reader an unprecedented and very personal insight into a people that I had no knowledge of before reading it.
added by mikeg2 | editWaterBridge Reviews, Alma Lee (Mar 20, 2007)

Captivating and suspenseful, with engrossing accounts of both hostilities and unlikely friendships, this book will win many readers' hearts.
added by Shortride | editPublishers Weekly

"The story of how this happened is a cliffhanger as well as an first-hand introduction to the people and places of a region little understood by most Americans. The subtitle, "One Man's Mission to Fight Terrorism and Build Nations . . . One School at a Time," underscores the motivation behind his work."
added by cvosshans | editBookBrowse, Washington Times - Ann Geracimos

"Answering by delivering what his country will not, Mortenson is "fighting the war on terror the way I think it should be conducted," Relin writes. This inspiring, adventure-filled book makes that case admirably."
added by Shortride | editKirkus Review

Mortenson, Gregprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Relin, David Olivermain authorall editionsconfirmed
Lawlor, PatrickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
to Irvin "Dempsey" Mortenson, Barry "Barrel" Bishop and Lloyd Henry Relin for showing us the way, while you were here
The little red light had been flashing for five minutes before Bhangoo paid it any attention. "The fuel gages on these old aircraft are notoriously unreliable," Brigadier General Bhangoo, one of Pakistan's most experienced high-altitude pilots, said, tapping. I wasn't sure if that was meant to make me feel better.
The only way we can defeat terrorism is if people in this country where terrorists exist learn to respect and love Americans...and if we can respect and love these people here. What's the difference between them becoming a productive local citizen or a terrorist? I think the key is education.
Your President Bush has done a wonderful job of uniting one billion Muslims against America for the next two hundred years. (Pakastani Brigadier General Bashir Baz)
Osama, baah!...The enemy is ignorance. The only way to defeat it is to build relationships with these people, to draw them into the modern world with education and business. Otherwise the fight will go on forever. (Pakastani Brigadier General Bashir Baz)

One wrong turn in Pakistan's K2 mountain range changes the life of one man and all whom he encounters.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,652,089 books! | Top bar: Always visible