Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to…

Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace ... One School at a… (2006)

by Greg Mortenson, David Oliver Relin

Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide by Nicholas D. Kristof (rosylibrarian)
    Little Princes by Conor Grennan (TooBusyReading)
    Three Cups of Deceit: How Greg Mortenson, Humanitarian Hero, Lost His Way by Jon Krakauer (BookWallah, TooBusyReading)
    BookWallah: Are you willing to hear the other side of this story... warning this is not pretty.
    TooBusyReading: I think it is important to read both sides of the story.
    Stones into Schools: Promoting Peace with Books, Not Bombs, in Afghanistan and Pakistan by Greg Mortenson (Furu, BookWallah, coclimber)
    BookWallah: If you are one of the few people in the USA that missed Greg's first (Three Cups of Tea) book you should make amends and rush to read this one.
    Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mt. Everest Disaster by Jon Krakauer (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: Both books contain personal accounts of experiences in the highest moutains of the world.
    The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind: Creating Currents of Electricity and Hope by William Kamkwamba (cmbohn)
    cmbohn: Both talk about how education changes lives for the better and how any sacrifice is worth it to receive an education.
    Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi (spacepotatoes)
    Mountains Beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder (Pferdina, cee2, Othemts)
    Right of Thirst by Frank Huyler (spacepotatoes)
    Monique and the Mango Rains by Kris Holloway (kelleykl)
    Coppola: A Pediatric Surgeon in Iraq by Chris Coppola (jlink)
    Outcasts United: A Refugee Team, an American Town by Warren St. John (JGoto)
    JGoto: Inspirational account of a young woman reaching refugee boys through soccer.
    Seasons of Sand by Ernst Aebi (Scotland)
    Nine Hills to Nambonkaha: Two Years in the Heart of an African Village by Sarah Erdman (bookwoman247)
    bookwoman247: Both books are humanitarian in nature, and both offer glimpses of Non-Western cultures.
    Mornings in Jenin by Susan Abulhawa (cougar_c)
    cougar_c: From one middle east country to the another - what "Three Cups of Tea" and "Mornings in Jenin" have in common is they show the human side of people trapped in a conflict.
    A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush by Eric Newby (Othemts)
    Full Tilt: Ireland to India with a Bicycle by Dervla Murphy (Othemts)

English (437)  Dutch (2)  Norwegian (2)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (443)
inspirational and thoughtfully written ( )
  AdorablyBookish | Aug 29, 2015 |
This was a great book. Very inspirational. What the author went through to build schools both in the U.S. raising money and in Afghanistan is amazing. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Aug 18, 2015 |
I'm so glad this book has run its course. ( )
  jessicaofthebees | Aug 15, 2015 |
I should start by saying that I really think Greg Mortenson is doing really good work and I value his philosophy of fighting terrorism with education instead of violence. That being said, I didn't really like this book as much as I'd hoped. The back of the book refered to Greg Mortenson as a "real-life Indiana Jones" and the entire book followed in that vain of some sort of adventure novel with Greg Mortenson as the hero. I most enjoyed the parts of the book that focused on the political and social situations of Pakistan and Afghanistan and why there are so few schools and Mortenson had such a difficult mission. I got bored and annoyed with Mortenson's trials and tribulations as he played the hero. I'm sure this has nothing to do with Mortenson's character, it just the manner in which the story was told. ( )
  klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
I just want to say that I did NOT actually read this. I was excited about it and was immediately bored, looked to see how many pages of this I could look forward to, and decided to get the Young Adult version instead. Not proud of this, but being honest. I'm interested in the story, but I don't think I need to read all of that to get it. Perhaps I'm becoming a lazy reader?
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
This is a wonderful book that gives the reader an unprecedented and very personal insight into a people that I had no knowledge of before reading it.
added by mikeg2 | editWaterBridge Reviews, Alma Lee (Mar 20, 2007)
Captivating and suspenseful, with engrossing accounts of both hostilities and unlikely friendships, this book will win many readers' hearts.
added by Shortride | editPublishers Weekly
"The story of how this happened is a cliffhanger as well as an first-hand introduction to the people and places of a region little understood by most Americans. The subtitle, "One Man's Mission to Fight Terrorism and Build Nations . . . One School at a Time," underscores the motivation behind his work."
added by cvosshans | editBookBrowse, Washington Times - Ann Geracimos
"Answering by delivering what his country will not, Mortenson is "fighting the war on terror the way I think it should be conducted," Relin writes. This inspiring, adventure-filled book makes that case admirably."
added by Shortride | editKirkus Review

Greg Mortensonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Relin, David Olivermain authorall editionsconfirmed
Lawlor, PatrickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
to Irvin "Dempsey" Mortenson, Barry "Barrel" Bishop and Lloyd Henry Relin for showing us the way, while you were here
The little red light had been flashing for five minutes before Bhangoo paid it any attention. "The fuel gages on these old aircraft are notoriously unreliable," Brigadier General Bhangoo, one of Pakistan's most experienced high-altitude pilots, said, tapping. I wasn't sure if that was meant to make me feel better.
The only way we can defeat terrorism is if people in this country where terrorists exist learn to respect and love Americans...and if we can respect and love these people here. What's the difference between them becoming a productive local citizen or a terrorist? I think the key is education.
Your President Bush has done a wonderful job of uniting one billion Muslims against America for the next two hundred years. (Pakastani Brigadier General Bashir Baz)
Osama, baah!...The enemy is ignorance. The only way to defeat it is to build relationships with these people, to draw them into the modern world with education and business. Otherwise the fight will go on forever. (Pakastani Brigadier General Bashir Baz)

One wrong turn in Pakistan's K2 mountain range changes the life of one man and all whom he encounters.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0143038257, Paperback)

From Viking Press
In regards to the 60 Minutes episode that aired April 17, 2011: "Greg Mortenson’s work as a humanitarian in Afghanistan and Pakistan has provided tens of thousands of children with an education. 60 Minutes is a serious news organization and in the wake of their report, Viking plans to carefully review the materials with the author."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:21 -0400)

One man's campaign to build schools in the most dangerous, remote, and anti-American reaches of Asia: in 1993 Greg Mortenson was an American mountain-climbing bum wandering emaciated and lost through Pakistan's Karakoram. After he was taken in and nursed back to health by the people of a Pakistani village, he promised to return one day and build them a school. From that rash, earnest promise grew one of the most incredible humanitarian campaigns of our time--Mortenson's one-man mission to counteract extremism by building schools, especially for girls, throughout the breeding ground of the Taliban. In a region where Americans are often feared and hated, he has survived kidnapping, death threats, and wrenching separations from his wife and children. But his success speaks for itself--at last count, his Central Asia Institute had built fifty-five schools.--From publisher description.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,724,937 books! | Top bar: Always visible