Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to…

Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace ... One School at a… (2006)

by Greg Mortenson, David Oliver Relin (Author)

9,361None314 (3.86)509
2008 (68) 2009 (43) Afghanistan (604) autobiography (55) biography (220) book club (111) current events (45) education (460) girls (62) girls school (44) Greg Mortenson (59) humanitarian (75) humanitarian assistance (46) humanitarianism (48) Islam (147) memoir (318) Middle East (127) mountaineering (93) non-fiction (908) Pakistan (695) peace (85) philanthropy (66) read (84) religion (42) schools (222) Taliban (58) terrorism (37) to-read (139) travel (76) unread (49)
    Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide by Nicholas D. Kristof (RosyLibrarian)
    Little Princes by Conor Grennan (TooBusyReading)
    Three Cups of Deceit: How Greg Mortenson, Humanitarian Hero, Lost His Way by Jon Krakauer (BookWallah, TooBusyReading)
    BookWallah: Are you willing to hear the other side of this story... warning this is not pretty.
    TooBusyReading: I think it is important to read both sides of the story.
    Stones into Schools: Promoting Peace with Books, Not Bombs, in Afghanistan and Pakistan by Greg Mortenson (Furu, BookWallah, coclimber)
    BookWallah: If you are one of the few people in the USA that missed Greg's first (Three Cups of Tea) book you should make amends and rush to read this one.
    Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mt. Everest Disaster by Jon Krakauer (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: Both books contain personal accounts of experiences in the highest moutains of the world.
    The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind: Creating Currents of Electricity and Hope by William Kamkwamba (cmbohn)
    cmbohn: Both talk about how education changes lives for the better and how any sacrifice is worth it to receive an education.
    Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi (spacepotatoes)
    Mountains Beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder (Pferdina, cee2, Othemts)
    Right of Thirst by Frank Huyler (spacepotatoes)
    Monique and the Mango Rains by Kris Holloway (kelleykl)
    Coppola: A Pediatric Surgeon in Iraq by Chris Coppola (jlink)
    Outcasts United: A Refugee Team, an American Town by Warren St. John (JGoto)
    JGoto: Inspirational account of a young woman reaching refugee boys through soccer.
    Seasons of Sand by Ernst Aebi (Scotland)
    Nine Hills to Nambonkaha: Two Years in the Heart of an African Village by Sarah Erdman (bookwoman247)
    bookwoman247: Both books are humanitarian in nature, and both offer glimpses of Non-Western cultures.
    Mornings in Jenin by Susan Abulhawa (cougar_c)
    cougar_c: From one middle east country to the another - what "Three Cups of Tea" and "Mornings in Jenin" have in common is they show the human side of people trapped in a conflict.
    A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush by Eric Newby (Othemts)
    Full Tilt: Ireland to India with a Bicycle by Dervla Murphy (Othemts)

English (418)  Dutch (2)  Norwegian (2)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (424)
When I first read this some years back, I was quite fascinated by Greg Mortenson's adventure. I was going on a trip to Tibet and Nepal, and would welcome anything relating to the Himalayas. The vast cold region is still inviting and hides some of the most beautiful panoramas in the world that I would like to revisit again someday. Especially Ladakh (India), and the Everest Base Camp. Maybe in not so near future, peace comes to the Asian Stans (Afghanistan, Pakistan..) I would readily volunteer to go there. In the meantime, I've got enough books on the Himalayas to put myself to sleep. Hence, upon finishing reading, ignoring the copious amount of papers and foreign languages used on the book, I gave it a 4-star without thinking.

Then came the allegation, especially Jon Krakauer's Three Cups of Deceit: How Greg Mortenson, Humanitarian Hero, Lost His Way..

What about THIS BOOK that is so controversial:
1) The fact that David O. Relin actually wrote the entire narrative, but instead he got the honor to be the not-so-ghostly ghostwriter.
2) The portrayal of Greg as the ultimate hero, with no regard to the generous philanthropists and volunteers (both foreign and local) who had donated their time and money for the good cause.
3) The fictitious parts written for the purpose of dramatizing Greg's humanitarian effort (later described at length by Krakauer on his book) and gaining monetary donation for himself.
4) The tragic death of Relin, who finally took his own life in Dec. 2012 due to the stress he suffered from allegations thrown mostly to Greg. Relin was a journalist, and he could write better than I do, so I don't think it's fair for people to condemn him for writing this Kiriyama Prize-winning book. Much of allegations should be directed to Mortensen, who no doubt be charming enough to convince major publishers to help create the book.

Positive lessons we can actually learn from this book:
1) "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." - Nelson Mandela
2) Empower women so they can be the agents of change in their communities, by encouraging girls to go to school and learn to read/write/do math.
3) Honesty is the best policy. Being truthful is always righteous.

I would gladly shelve this book to the autobiographical novel genre, as I'm sure some minor part such as Greg's repeat visits Korphe and hiking K2 would not be far from truth. However, I would like to see Greg to repent and return the money he'd profited from the book to the people of Korphe and build some real schools there.

1 vote pwlifter300 | Feb 11, 2014 |
I enjoyed listening to this as an audio book. It takes you into their lives and makes you admire them but in the end the book had a very political slant. We (Americans) are bad and cause the problems not the poverty or politics of the area. I'm afraid Greg Mortenson lost his perspective after a time. ( )
  Kristelh | Nov 16, 2013 |
When the book started with Greg stuck on K2 gasping for air, I knew it was going to be good!
Loved it! ( )
  Scarchin | Nov 12, 2013 |
This is a great adventure of one American who tries to make a difference by establishing schools in the most remote areas of Pakistan. Greg Mortenson exhibits determination, vision, hard work, stamina and obviously a little luck to survive many great challenges. I do not believe anybody can read this book and not feel a little differently towards the remote people of Pakistan and Afghanistan. Mortenson arguably has accomplished more through books, schools & good will than the NATO forces have with guns, soldiers, bombs and threats. Good read! ( )
  jerrybeller | Oct 25, 2013 |
I loved the story and it makes me wish there were more people in the world who were willing to do things like this. The writing itself left something to be desired, but it seemed to go along with the theme of the book that it really was just a guy who decided to do something and didn't really know what he was getting himself into. After reading the book, I heard a rumor that many of the details were fictional. Hopefully, this was not the case. ( )
  Valerie_Duncan | Sep 8, 2013 |
This is a wonderful book that gives the reader an unprecedented and very personal insight into a people that I had no knowledge of before reading it.
added by mikeg2 | editWaterBridge Reviews, Alma Lee (Mar 20, 2007)

Captivating and suspenseful, with engrossing accounts of both hostilities and unlikely friendships, this book will win many readers' hearts.
added by Shortride | editPublishers Weekly

"Answering by delivering what his country will not, Mortenson is "fighting the war on terror the way I think it should be conducted," Relin writes. This inspiring, adventure-filled book makes that case admirably."
added by Shortride | editKirkus Review

"The story of how this happened is a cliffhanger as well as an first-hand introduction to the people and places of a region little understood by most Americans. The subtitle, "One Man's Mission to Fight Terrorism and Build Nations . . . One School at a Time," underscores the motivation behind his work."
added by cvosshans | editBookBrowse, Washington Times - Ann Geracimos

Greg Mortensonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Relin, David OliverAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Lawlor, PatrickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
to Irvin "Dempsey" Mortenson, Barry "Barrel" Bishop and Lloyd Henry Relin for showing us the way, while you were here
The little red light had been flashing for five minutes before Bhangoo paid it any attention. "The fuel gages on these old aircraft are notoriously unreliable," Brigadier General Bhangoo, one of Pakistan's most experienced high-altitude pilots, said, tapping. I wasn't sure if that was meant to make me feel better.
The only way we can defeat terrorism is if people in this country where terrorists exist learn to respect and love Americans...and if we can respect and love these people here. What's the difference between them becoming a productive local citizen or a terrorist? I think the key is education.
Your President Bush has done a wonderful job of uniting one billion Muslims against America for the next two hundred years. (Pakastani Brigadier General Bashir Baz)
Osama, baah!...The enemy is ignorance. The only way to defeat it is to build relationships with these people, to draw them into the modern world with education and business. Otherwise the fight will go on forever. (Pakastani Brigadier General Bashir Baz)

One wrong turn in Pakistan's K2 mountain range changes the life of one man and all whom he encounters.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0143038257, Paperback)

From Viking Press
In regards to the 60 Minutes episode that aired April 17, 2011: "Greg Mortenson’s work as a humanitarian in Afghanistan and Pakistan has provided tens of thousands of children with an education. 60 Minutes is a serious news organization and in the wake of their report, Viking plans to carefully review the materials with the author."

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:50 -0400)

One man's campaign to build schools in the most dangerous, remote, and anti-American reaches of Asia: in 1993 Greg Mortenson was an American mountain-climbing bum wandering emaciated and lost through Pakistan's Karakoram. After he was taken in and nursed back to health by the people of a Pakistani village, he promised to return one day and build them a school. From that rash, earnest promise grew one of the most incredible humanitarian campaigns of our time--Mortenson's one-man mission to counteract extremism by building schools, especially for girls, throughout the breeding ground of the Taliban. In a region where Americans are often feared and hated, he has survived kidnapping, death threats, and wrenching separations from his wife and children. But his success speaks for itself--at last count, his Central Asia Institute had built fifty-five schools.--From publisher description.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,474,756 books! | Top bar: Always visible