Here Lies the Librarian by Richard Peck

Here Lies the Librarian (2006)

by Richard Peck

I think only a librarian could appreciate and enjoy this book. Definitely not a middle school student ( )
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |
Found this delightful book misfiled in the adult section of the local Library; actually written for "young adults" although young teens would be more appropriate but this day and age of such overriding fear of "offending" anyone, "young adult" it shall be. Read it anyway--in fact, straight through without taking a deep breath. Wonderfully written. Wished Richard Peck had been writing when I was young--perhaps I'd realized sooner that I could be anything I wanted if I had the skill, brains, and will rather than have my choices rather limited to teacher (a truly wonderful profession not truly appreciated), or housewife and mother (also wonderful professions little appreciated). However, generations of women having their choices so limited--now that was truly sad. Some escaped, but many of us . . .? Well that's another story. ( )
  McHenrysPlace | Oct 7, 2016 |
Not really about librarians - not about death or cemeteries either - more about early automobiles, and a tomboy who is a mechanic and her brother who dreams of doing bigger things with them. Another fun historical juvenile from Peck. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Narrated by Lara Everly. Pee Wee and her brother Jake run an auto repair business in small-town Indiana in the 1910s. Both parents are deceased and PeeWee, well-versed in car mechanics, has never been encouraged to become more ladylike. Then Irene Ridpath and her sorority sisters come to town to staff the previously defunct public library. As PeeWee gets to know Irene and occasionally helps out at the library, she sees she can experience the broader world on her own terms even if she has to start wearing dresses and acting more grown-up. Rather dull narration considering the humor of the book.
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Don't remember much except that I liked it and thought it might be a little creepy for some younger kids although not in a Neil Gaiman sort of way. Meant to be humorous if I remember correctly. Need to revisit and refresh memory
  MariaMigs | Nov 7, 2015 |
This book is dedicated to Living librarians everywhere And to my Dean Beth Mehalick Paskoff
I was cleaning carbon off a set of spark plugs with an emery cloth when my big brother Jake barged in, soaked to the skin.
SHH

Here lies the librarian

after years of service,

tried and true,

Heaven stamped her ---

OVERDUE
The libery only needs two books:

1. The Old Testiment

2. The New Testiment
I'd driven an automobile once in my life. And murdered a weasel.

Peewee idolizes Jake, a big brother whose dreams of auto mechanic glory are fueled by the hard road coming to link their Indiana town and futures with the twentieth century. And motoring down the road comes Irene Ridpath, a young librarian with plans to astonish them all and turn Peewee?s life upside down. Here Lies the Librarian, with its quirky characters, folksy setting, classic cars, and hilariously larger-than-life moments, is vintage Richard Peck?an offbeat, deliciously wicked comedy that is also unexpectedly moving.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:29 -0400)

Fourteen-year-old Eleanor "Peewee" McGrath, a tomboy and automobile enthusiast, discovers new possibilities for her future after the 1914 arrival in her small Indiana town of four young librarians.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,078,883 books! | Top bar: Always visible