Here Lies the Librarian by Richard Peck

Here Lies the Librarian (2006)

by Richard Peck

I listened to a dreadful reader perform this well written story of small town Indiana before WWI. The story revolves around a brother & sister who try to run a successful service station at the advent of car culture and pavement and women's suffrage. While the historical setting & lively story are great for kids, this book contains enough random, unavenged violence that it might be difficult for some children, esp. those under 10. ( )
  msmilton | Jul 18, 2018 |
  msmilton | Jul 18, 2018 |
14-year-old Eleanor "Peewee" McGrath, a tomboy and automobile enthusiast, discovers new possibilities for her future after the 1914 arrival in her small Indiana town of 4 young librarians.
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |
I think only a librarian could appreciate and enjoy this book. Definitely not a middle school student ( )
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |
Found this delightful book misfiled in the adult section of the local Library; actually written for "young adults" although young teens would be more appropriate but this day and age of such overriding fear of "offending" anyone, "young adult" it shall be. Read it anyway--in fact, straight through without taking a deep breath. Wonderfully written. Wished Richard Peck had been writing when I was young--perhaps I'd realized sooner that I could be anything I wanted if I had the skill, brains, and will rather than have my choices rather limited to teacher (a truly wonderful profession not truly appreciated), or housewife and mother (also wonderful professions little appreciated). However, generations of women having their choices so limited--now that was truly sad. Some escaped, but many of us . . .? Well that's another story. ( )
  SmithfieldJones | Oct 7, 2016 |
This book is dedicated to Living librarians everywhere And to my Dean Beth Mehalick Paskoff
I was cleaning carbon off a set of spark plugs with an emery cloth when my big brother Jake barged in, soaked to the skin.
SHH

Here lies the librarian

after years of service,

tried and true,

Heaven stamped her ---

OVERDUE
The libery only needs two books:

1. The Old Testiment

2. The New Testiment
I'd driven an automobile once in my life. And murdered a weasel.

Peewee idolizes Jake, a big brother whose dreams of auto mechanic glory are fueled by the hard road coming to link their Indiana town and futures with the twentieth century. And motoring down the road comes Irene Ridpath, a young librarian with plans to astonish them all and turn Peewee?s life upside down. Here Lies the Librarian, with its quirky characters, folksy setting, classic cars, and hilariously larger-than-life moments, is vintage Richard Peck?an offbeat, deliciously wicked comedy that is also unexpectedly moving.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:29 -0400)

Fourteen-year-old Eleanor "Peewee" McGrath, a tomboy and automobile enthusiast, discovers new possibilities for her future after the 1914 arrival in her small Indiana town of four young librarians.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,832,916 books! | Top bar: Always visible