dismiss

Cold Comfort Farm (1932)

by Stella Gibbons

Series: Cold Comfort Farm: Publication Order (1), Cold Comfort Farm (2)

4,9631941,520 (4)564
Flora has been expensively educated to do everything but earn her own living. When she is orphaned at 20, she decides her only option is to go and live with her relatives, the Starkadders, at Cold Comfort Farm. What relatives though. Flora feels it incumbent upon her to bring order into the chaos.
    Emma by Jane Austen (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Flora is very clearly modeled on Emma.
    Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Another brilliant parody.
    The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer (Bjace)
    Bjace: While it's not in the same genre, the books are similiar. Both Sophy and Flora Post are Miss Fix-its, whose practical, problem-solving approach to life is a contrast to the silliness of their relatives. Also, both are delightful reads in different ways.
    Mapp and Lucia by E. F. Benson (Michael.Rimmer)
    Big Fish: A Novel of Mythic Proportions by Daniel Wallace (msouliere)
    Who was Changed and Who was Dead by Barbara Comyns (laytonwoman3rd)
    The Straight and Narrow Path by Honor Tracy (rebeccanyc)
    rebeccanyc: Another satire, this time of the Irish countryside, the English in Ireland, and the Catholic church.
    A Room with a View by E. M. Forster (upster)
    upster: It's refreshing and fun
    Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day by Winifred Watson (amanda4242)
    amanda4242: Both books are sure to cheer up anyone having a miserable day.
    Precious Bane by Mary Webb (KayCliff)
    KayCliff: The one is a parody of the other.
    My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell (MyriadBooks)
    The Rainbow by D. H. Lawrence (thorold)
    thorold: The Rainbow is a great novel that's well worth reading for its own sake, but it's also the supreme example of the over-portentous way of writing about the countryside that makes the parody in Cold Comfort Farm so hilarious.
1930s (9)
My TBR (47)

English (186)  Spanish (5)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  All languages (194)
This was a fun, strangely futuristic read with a good number of phrases and witticisms to laugh about. One of my favorites for no discernible reason is Mrs. Beetle's non sequitur "Paws off, Pompey!" Not much substance past the fun, but I'm not complaining. ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Jun 28, 2020 |
OK, here’s the thing. I didn’t love Cold Comfort Farm as much as I expected to. I’ve a feeling it might be one of those books that I’ve read ‘too late’: that I’d have gelled with it much more readily if I’d read it as a teenager or young adult. Or maybe I was just in the wrong mood. As it is, I enjoyed it but found it a little too self-indulgent and showily clever. Our heroine is Flora Poste, who has been expensively educated to ‘possess every art and grace save that of earning her own living‘. When her parents die, leaving her with a hundred pounds a year, she decides to impose herself on relatives rather than finding a job in London. From the shortlist, she selects the Starkadder family, descendants of her mother’s sister Ada, who live on a remote farm in Sussex. Flora is prepared for rustic simplicity. But even she is startled by the raw and elemental roughness she finds among her relatives at Cold Comfort Farm. With her neat and organised mind, Flora sees very clearly that the Starkadders must be taken in hand and improved, for their own contentment and her own comfort. A challenge lies ahead, to be sure, but nothing can stand up to Flora Poste once she’s set her mind to something...

For the full review, please see my blog:
https://theidlewoman.net/2020/05/18/cold-comfort-farm-1932-stella-gibbons/ ( )
  TheIdleWoman | May 23, 2020 |
Well that was a fun little segue away from thoughts of Coronavirus. I'm sure I'm last to the party reading this one, but better late than never.

Cold Comfort Farm was not at all what I was expecting. I thought that the central characters would be the inhabitants of the farm, so Flora Poste - the sassy, cultured, no-nonsense Londoner - was a surprising delight. What a wonderful character! Nothing remotely phased her or derailed her plans, and her polite but acerbic retorts to the rustic Starkadder Motley crew as she whipped them all into shape were hilarious.

An enjoyable satire, although probably not a classic that will stick in my mind for too long. For some reason, the considered normalcy of cousins marrying each other sticks with me in this novel - I'm glad that we've since changed our minds on that one (at least where I come from).

4 stars - enjoyable and fun, but nothing earth shattering. ( )
  AlisonY | Apr 13, 2020 |
Liked: Clever and funny.. Disliked: It loses most of its wit, charm and pace halfway through and becomes a little tedious. ( )
  reg_lt | Feb 7, 2020 |
I've waited so long to read this vintage classic - and found I just wasn't in the mood to take all the words. I'm so disappointed, but I'm going to give it a try again in a couple of years.

It's not you, sweetie. It's me.
  ParadisePorch | Jan 10, 2020 |

Simmonds, PosyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spencer, StanleyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Truss, LynneIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vales, José C.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery -- Mansfield Park.
NOTE The action of the story takes place in the near future.
To Allan and Ina
The education bestowed upon Flora Poste by her parents had been expensive, athletic and prolonged; and when they died within a few weeks of one another during the annual epidemic of influenza or Spanish Plague which occured in her twentieth year, she was discovered to possess every art and grace save that of earning her own living.
To Anthony Pookworthy, Esq., A.B.S., L.L.R. My dear Tony, It is with something more than the natural deference of a tyro at the loveliest, most arduous and perverse of the arts in the presence of a master-craftsman that I lay this book before you. (From the Foreword)
"I saw something nasty in the woodshed!"
She loved them all dearly, but this evening she just did not want to see them any more.
There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort.
"Straw or chaff, leaf or fruit, we mun all come to 't."
"Curses, like rookses, comes home to rest in bosomes and barnses."

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0143039598, 0141441593, 0141045485, 0241951518

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,057,333 books! | Top bar: Always visible