Member:
Title:
Authors:
Info:
Collections:

Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons (1932)

Emma by Jane Austen (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Flora is very clearly modeled on Emma.
    Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Another brilliant parody.
    The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer (Bjace)
    Bjace: While it's not in the same genre, the books are similiar. Both Sophy and Flora Post are Miss Fix-its, whose practical, problem-solving approach to life is a contrast to the silliness of their relatives. Also, both are delightful reads in different ways.
    Mapp and Lucia by E. F. Benson (Michael.Rimmer)
    Big Fish: A Novel of Mythic Proportions by Daniel Wallace (msouliere)
    Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day by Winifred Watson (amanda4242)
    amanda4242: Both books are sure to cheer up anyone having a miserable day.
    The Straight and Narrow Path by Honor Tracy (rebeccanyc)
    rebeccanyc: Another satire, this time of the Irish countryside, the English in Ireland, and the Catholic church.
    A Room with a View by E. M. Forster (upster)
    upster: It's refreshing and fun
    Who was Changed and Who was Dead by Barbara Comyns (laytonwoman3rd)
    Precious Bane by Mary Webb (KayCliff)
    KayCliff: The one is a parody of the other.
    My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell (MyriadBooks)
    The Rainbow by D. H. Lawrence (thorold)
    thorold: The Rainbow is a great novel that's well worth reading for its own sake, but it's also the supreme example of the over-portentous way of writing about the countryside that makes the parody in Cold Comfort Farm so hilarious.
1930s (9)

English (170)  Spanish (5)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  All (178)
Nearly done and LOVING it.....
Now finished and it was great to the end. A timeless must-read for anyone who loves British humour. ( )
1 vote Eye_Gee | May 8, 2017 |
Book Club Pick for May 21 at Julie's.
  kbosso | May 2, 2017 |
This book meant more than a little to me. Read it while leaving home, my own kind of Cold Comfort Farm, leading to a rather morbid final hour-and-some on the plane once I finished. Damn reviews, this is a meditation on me, my life, where my home is.

Going home is important. It reminds me where I'm from.

It reminds me not to idealize where I'm from.

It reminds me not to get caught up in my academic world because that isn't the world. That isn't how so many people in my country think and live. What is obvious there is not universally obvious.

It reminds me not to presume upon the "rich emotional life" of the country. That I have felt a rich emotional life wherever I have gone, whether the country or the working city or the ivory tower, not because I am imbued with an inherited provincial pulse but because I have actively sought it wherever my journeys take me.

Book v. funny. Missed the anti-Semitism on the first go through because I thought she was lampooning writer-types and not Jews which just goes to show I've been out of 1930s lit for too long because upon reflection: disgusting. Methods of contraception vs. Thomas Hardy absolutely hilarious. The star-rating system for passages the author considers particularly worthy made me giggle every time. Cousin love, but with all the meditation on Jane Austen it was only to be expected, also she definitely made the best choice. Also the fact she had choice. You go Stella. ( )
  likecymbeline | Apr 1, 2017 |
A good read but the behaviour of the weird matriarch of the family was never explained, neither was a proper explanation given of how she was pacified. ( )
  siok | Dec 25, 2016 |

Simmonds, PosyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spencer, StanleyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Truss, LynneIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vales, José C.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery -- Mansfield Park.
NOTE The action of the story takes place in the near future.
To Allan and Ina
The education bestowed upon Flora Poste by her parents had been expensive, athletic and prolonged; and when they died within a few weeks of one another during the annual epidemic of influenza or Spanish Plague which occured in her twentieth year, she was discovered to possess every art and grace save that of earning her own living.
To Anthony Pookworthy, Esq., A.B.S., L.L.R. My dear Tony, It is with something more than the natural deference of a tyro at the loveliest, most arduous and perverse of the arts in the presence of a master-craftsman that I lay this book before you. (From the Foreword)
"I saw something nasty in the woodshed!"
She loved them all dearly, but this evening she just did not want to see them any more.
There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort.
"Straw or chaff, leaf or fruit, we mun all come to 't."
"Curses, like rookses, comes home to rest in bosomes and barnses."

Stella Gibbons' novel is a wickedly funny portrait of British rural life in the 1930s. Flora, a recently orphaned socialite, moves in with her country relatives, the gloomy Starkadders of Cold Comfort Farm.

A Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition with French flaps, rough front, and luxurious packaging
Features an introduction from Lynne Truss and cover illustrations by Roz Chast

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:48 -0400)

When a well-educated young socialite in 1930s England is left orphaned and unable to support herself at age twenty-two, she moves in with her eccentric relatives on their farm.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0143039598, 0141441593, 0141045485, 0241951518

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,473,183 books! | Top bar: Always visible