Be Like Water: Practical Wisdom from the…

Be Like Water: Practical Wisdom from the Martial Arts

by Joseph Cardillo

I stumbled onto this book while doing some research, and picked it up primarily out of curiosity. Once I began reading it, though, I was so taken in by Cardillo's style, and curiosity, that I couldn't help but continue.

In each short chapter, Cardillo takes on one core principle of the martial arts, explaining how it relates to the art, how he experienced it in his own training, and how it can relate to the average person's daily experiences and aid them in their own personal/professional development. At the end of each chapter, he finishes with explaining an exercise (usually meditation related) to help the reader get a more sincere feel for the principle, and then concludes with a short list of resolutions for moving forward with the principle as a tool for moving forward in life.

In many ways, I think this book could be classified either as philosophy or as self-help. I can't say that I gained something from every chapter, but I did gain enough from the reading that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this book. At the very least, it gave me some more tools for mediating conflicts around me and for dealing with colleagues who I tend to have trouble understanding or relating to (few as they are, they are a distraction, for most everyone I'm guessing). On the whole, I do think I benefitted from reading it. And, while I'm not generally an anxious person...I think I will return to this work the next time I'm feeling intimidated or anxious about a decision or relationship.

Last, I'll note that I'm generally skeptical of the idea of meditating--I'm not good at sitting still, and always thought of meditating as something that would require significant chunks of time. Cardillo's approach and exercises, though, felt both approachable and worthwhile, which really surprised me.

I can't say how this would compare to similar books, but I'm glad to have stumbled across it. Recommended. ( )
  whitewavedarling | Dec 27, 2013 |
Be Like Water: Practical Wisdom from the Martial Arts by Joseph Cardillo is a 160 page non-fiction work that offers solid instructions for improving one’s life via the implementation of martial arts philosophy. Cardillo’s text and its teachings are derived from his own life experiences and martial arts training.

Be Like Water is complete with easy to implement exercises. The exercises offered in Be Like Water will ultimately teach the reader to properly focus and channel chi, and how to master the natural tendencies of water; in doing so, the reader is instructed on how to surmount mundane obstacles as well as how to make the most of every moment. Using a mixture of martial arts principles, Be Like Water is not a text that teaches one how to master martial arts, but it is a text that teaches the reader how to gain mastership over one’s self, life, and spiritual journey.

Cardillo delivers a fast paced text, one that is concisely written and easy to read. Full of positive, life changing visualization techniques, relaxing and empowering meditations, and affirmations, Be Like Water is highly recommended for any reader looking to make major changes in his or her life. Ultimately, the reader of Be Like Water will learn how to successfully “go with the flow;” how to understand the natural wisdom provided by the nature of water, and how to put the latter nature- wisdom to work in one’s life. ( )
  daynawinters | Apr 6, 2008 |

This entertaining and enlightening guide reveals the philosophy behind the martial arts techniques that lead to a creative and fulfilled life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:53 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,420,216 books! | Top bar: Always visible