The Cider House Rules by John Irving

The Cider House Rules (1985)

by John Irving

The Irresistible Henry House: A Novel by Lisa Grunwald (sruszala)
    Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese (GoST)
    GoST: Both books relate the eventful, coming-of-age stories of physicians and their struggle to learn their craft, complete with detailed descriptions of medical procedures.
    The Orphan Master's Son by Adam Johnson (suniru)
    suniru: Although the settings are wildly different,the central figure in both books is the "head boy" in an orphanage.

English (89)  Finnish (2)  Danish (1)  Lithuanian (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (97)
Having finished one John Irving novel without a Road to Damascus moment, I inevitably found myself confronted with Irving fans who told me that I'd started with the wrong one. "You should read The Cider House Rules", they said. So I did. And now I'm going to keep very quiet, in case they try to make me read Garp as well...

I did actually like this a bit better than A son of the circus, despite all the unpleasant obstetric detail. It's basically a modern Dickens novel, self-indulgently lengthy, complete with all the social problems and grotesque characters you could want, but fortunately the sentiment and comedy are both heavily toned down, and Irving doesn't try to imitate Dickens's over the top chapter-openings. An interesting idea, and it seems to work reasonably well, but I wouldn't say that it's infected me with a great desire to read more of his novels. Maybe it's time to re-read David Copperfield, however... ( )
  thorold | Aug 6, 2014 |
The first of my summer rereads.
I don't remember this being a book I disliked ( read in high school) , but I don't remember it being one of my favorite Irvings either. I sure couldn't put it down, but am not more sure what I thought of it this time. He describes situations and emotions beautifully , but I felt that there was too much (and also not enough) going on with the plot. There are some elements of the whimsical which don't seem to jive, or seem a little too heavy handed. But it is certainly one I will think about for some time, and likely even read again in another ten years. ( )
  abbeyhar | Jul 23, 2014 |
The first of my summer rereads.
  abbeyhar | Jul 23, 2014 |
This is my first non-creature or sic-fi book in awhile, and I can see why it was listed as a must read book on the 1001 book list--it is great!

The story is of the St. Cloud's Orphanage, where the kindly doctor and nursing staff take care of all the orphans. They deliver babies of mothers who want to forfeit them to the orphanage, and they give abortions to mothers who don't want to forfeit them.

The characters are vibrantly alive and pretty eccentric as well. A great read! ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
Yep. This is one of my few 5 Star books. When Irving gets it right it is stunning. It was like gazing into a complex impressionist painting. There are so many layers and so much beauty. I recommend reading this book if you want more than the usual "best seller" that is here today and gone tomorrow. This will stay with you. ( )
  ElizabethBevins | May 6, 2014 |
For ''The Cider House Rules'' has greater force and integrity than either of its two immediate predecessors. It's funny and absorbing, and it makes clever use of the plot's seeming predictability.

Irving, Johnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rikman, KristiinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Conventionality is not morality. Self-righteousness is not religion. To attack the first is not to assail the last." ~ charlotte bronte (1847)
"For practical purposes abortion may be defined as the interruption of gestation before viability of the child." ~ h.j. boldt, m.d. (1906)
For David Calicchio
In the hospital of the orphanage--the boys' division at St Cloud's, Maine--two nurses were in charge of naming the new babies and checking that their little penises were healing from the obligatory circumcision.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345387651, Mass Market Paperback)

"AN OLD-FASHIONED, BIG-HEARTED NOVEL . . . with its epic yearning caught in the 19th century, somewhere between Trollope and Twain . . . The rich detail makes for vintage Irving."
--The Boston Sunday Globe

"The Cider House Rules is filled with people to love and to feel for. . . . The characters in John Irving's novel break all the rules, and yet they remain noble and free-spirited. Victims of tragedy, violence, and injustice, their lives seem more interesting and full of thought-provoking dilemmas than the lives of many real people."
--The Houston Post

"John Irving's sixth and best novel . . . He is among the very best storytellers at work today. At the base of Irving's own moral concerns is a rare and lasting regard for human kindness."
--The Philadelphia Inquirer

"Entertaining and affecting . . . John Irving is the most relentlessly inventive writer around. He proliferates colorful incidents and crotchets of character. . . . A truly astounding amount of artistry and ingenuity."
--The San Diego Union

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:10 -0400)

Set in rural Maine in the first half of this century, it tells the story of Dr. Wilbur Larch--obstetrician and director of the orphanage in the town of St. Clouds. It is also the story of his favorite orphan, Homer, who is never adopted.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,285,964 books! | Top bar: Always visible