Cider House Rules, The by John Irving

Cider House Rules, The (1985)

by John Irving

Member:s1049041
Title:Cider House Rules, The
Authors:John Irving
Info:Random House Inc (Paperback)
Rating:*****
Tags:fictie, ethische vragen, weeshuis

The Cider House Rules by John Irving (1985)

The Irresistible Henry House: A Novel by Lisa Grunwald (sruszala)
    Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese (GoST)
    GoST: Both books relate the eventful, coming-of-age stories of physicians and their struggle to learn their craft, complete with detailed descriptions of medical procedures.
    The Orphan Master's Son by Adam Johnson (suniru)
    suniru: Although the settings are wildly different,the central figure in both books is the "head boy" in an orphanage. Also, "identity" is central to both books.

English (103)  Finnish (2)  Dutch (2)  Lithuanian (1)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (112)
Listened to audio book - great entertainment. ( )
  KathyGilbert | Jan 29, 2016 |
I struggled with this book. At one point I almost didn't finish because it was so detailed. I'm glad I finished but the story was a bit too predictable. I read this because it was a well respected movie (that I have not seen). I won't rush to read other John Irving books. ( )
  becka11y2 | Jan 19, 2016 |
Dr. John Larch is an obstetrician in Maine in the early twentieth century. After observing the number of unwanted babies who are born and the results of illegal abortions performed by people who are unqualified, he moves to the logging town of St. Clouds and starts an orphanage. Larch spends the rest of his life there, helping women have either orphans or abortions. One of the orphans is Homer Wells, who is sent to several different homes throughout the years, but who always ends up back at St. Clouds one way or another. Dr. Larch finally concedes that Homer belongs at St. Clouds and allows him to stay as long as he is of use. Larch teaches Homer obstetrics, and although Homer is very good at the procedures, he refuses to be Larch’s successor because he is morally opposed to abortion. As an adult, Homer ends up leaving St. Clouds and working in an apple orchard several towns away. When Dr. Larch dies and leaves the orphanage without a doctor, Homer has to decide whether to step into the position Larch has prepared him for or continue to wait and see what life will bring him.

After absolutely loving my first Irving novel (A Prayer for Owen Meany), I had high expectations for this one. I was disappointed, although the book wasn’t bad. I appreciate the way in which the book addresses certain ethical/moral/political dilemmas, and I enjoyed the characters’ quirks and humorous moments, but I never really found myself invested in the book. I didn’t really like or care about any of the characters, and the plot meandered without really going anywhere too much for my taste. Overall, it was just an okay reading experience for me. ( )
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |
This is the story of orphan Homer Wells. Adopted out several times, he just kept coming back, so Doctor Larch, director of the orphanage and also an obstetrician and abortionist, decided to put him to use. By the age of 20 Homer could give a woman an orphan or an abortion, but knew that he didn't want to be a doctor. A young couple arrives at the orphanage for their own abortion and take Homer away with them. The rest of novel deals with the fall out from this event and Homer's in struggles.

While in all it was an enjoyable read, it was very slow and hard for me to get into. A commonly repeated litany in the book was "wait and see." I felt like I spent the whole book waiting and seeing if it would get better. I felt that it finally did, right at the end. The end was definitely satisfying. All of the loose ends were tied up and it felt like an end. I would not recommend this book to everyone, but it was a good story. ( )
  Mootastic1 | Jan 15, 2016 |
LMIC book, fair; First published in 1985, The Cider House Rules is John Irving's sixth novel. Set in rural Maine in the first half of this century, it tells the story of Dr. Wilbur Larch--saint and obstetrician, founder and director of the orphanage in the town of St. Cloud's, ether addict and abortionist. It is also the story of Dr. Larch's favorite orphan, Homer Wells, who is never adopted. ( )
  nancynova | Sep 12, 2015 |
For ''The Cider House Rules'' has greater force and integrity than either of its two immediate predecessors. It's funny and absorbing, and it makes clever use of the plot's seeming predictability.

Irving, Johnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rikman, KristiinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Conventionality is not morality. Self-righteousness is not religion. To attack the first is not to assail the last." ~ charlotte bronte (1847)
"For practical purposes abortion may be defined as the interruption of gestation before viability of the child." ~ h.j. boldt, m.d. (1906)
For David Calicchio
In the hospital of the orphanage--the boys' division at St Cloud's, Maine--two nurses were in charge of naming the new babies and checking that their little penises were healing from the obligatory circumcision.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345387651, Mass Market Paperback)

"AN OLD-FASHIONED, BIG-HEARTED NOVEL . . . with its epic yearning caught in the 19th century, somewhere between Trollope and Twain . . . The rich detail makes for vintage Irving."
--The Boston Sunday Globe

"The Cider House Rules is filled with people to love and to feel for. . . . The characters in John Irving's novel break all the rules, and yet they remain noble and free-spirited. Victims of tragedy, violence, and injustice, their lives seem more interesting and full of thought-provoking dilemmas than the lives of many real people."
--The Houston Post

"John Irving's sixth and best novel . . . He is among the very best storytellers at work today. At the base of Irving's own moral concerns is a rare and lasting regard for human kindness."
--The Philadelphia Inquirer

"Entertaining and affecting . . . John Irving is the most relentlessly inventive writer around. He proliferates colorful incidents and crotchets of character. . . . A truly astounding amount of artistry and ingenuity."
--The San Diego Union

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:38 -0400)

Set in rural Maine in the first half of this century, it tells the story of Dr. Wilbur Larch--obstetrician and director of the orphanage in the town of St. Clouds. It is also the story of his favorite orphan, Homer, who is never adopted.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,236,234 books! | Top bar: Always visible