Cider House Rules, The by John Irving

Cider House Rules, The (1985)

by John Irving

9,450120309 (4.07)257
Member:s1049041
Title:Cider House Rules, The
Authors:John Irving
Info:Random House Inc (Paperback)
Rating:*****
Tags:fictie, ethische vragen, weeshuis

The Cider House Rules by John Irving (1985)

Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese (GoST)
    GoST: Both books relate the eventful, coming-of-age stories of physicians and their struggle to learn their craft, complete with detailed descriptions of medical procedures.
    The Irresistible Henry House: A Novel by Lisa Grunwald (sruszala)
    The Orphan Master's Son by Adam Johnson (suniru)
    suniru: Although the settings are wildly different,the central figure in both books is the "head boy" in an orphanage. Also, "identity" is central to both books.

English (110)  German (2)  Finnish (2)  Dutch (2)  Lithuanian (1)  Danish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Italian (1)  All (120)
When my father asked me what I thought of this book, he first told me I appeared to be reading it as some kind of pittance, which may not be entirely untrue. When I answered, I said, "If this book was my only foray into the world, the only place from which I could see beyond myself, I would assume that the world was populated by horrible people who could only do wrong." No, this isn't an opinion on the subject of the book, abortion, but rather the way almost every character treated the others, with the vast exception of Wally, who (let's face it) really got dealt a raw hand.

On the subject of abortion, at first I found it hard to understand what Irving's intent was: was he for abortion or against it? I think his position can be best summed up by Homer's opinion, that he thinks they (abortions) should be legal, but he would not perform them...which changes by the end of the book. Irving himself calls the book "didactic," leading me to a new assumption about didacticism in literature, mainly that didactic works function as a mirror: the reader only sees what they believe and nothing else. Therefore, if Irving's point was to sway the reader, I think this failed. If it was to entertain, the didactic message at times got in the way of the entertainment. However, if Irving was seeking to issue points and counterpoints for the same argument (both for and against abortion), thus opening up a dialogue and enticing readers to speak and share their opinions, he may have accomplished something. The Cider House Rules, if nothing else, is a conversation starter. ( )
  beckyrenner | Dec 29, 2016 |
A beautiful book.
In this book, Irving tells the life histories of several people. Larch, his colleagues and all the others are being followed from the moment they appear in the book.

Homer is a central character, as is Larch. In their cooperation, their living together at S. Cloud's, their lives separated from each other when Homer moves to Ocean View.
Rules violating them and how to live with yourself and with others afterwards is in my opinion a central theme in this book.
Just like that one should never really say 'never'. Because there are always circumstances that make you make different choices than you've ever done so far. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Sep 2, 2016 |
Read
  MrsDoglvrs | Apr 24, 2016 |
This is the first John Irving book I've read. There are some descriptive passages about the mechanics of performing abortions that made me grit my teeth, but those were necessary to the storyline. Dr. Larch is one of the most compelling and likable fictional characters I've come across in a long time. ( )
  Bill.Dawson | Apr 19, 2016 |
Another Classic Irving! This settles his position as my favourite writer, and I'm perhaps even a bit sad that I finished another one of his books. Full of brilliantly layered story telling, eccentric and often kind-hearted characters. Irving once again demonstrates his capability for boundless humanity.

bartt95 | Apr 10, 2016 |
For ''The Cider House Rules'' has greater force and integrity than either of its two immediate predecessors. It's funny and absorbing, and it makes clever use of the plot's seeming predictability.

Irving, Johnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rikman, KristiinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Conventionality is not morality. Self-righteousness is not religion. To attack the first is not to assail the last." ~ charlotte bronte (1847)
"For practical purposes abortion may be defined as the interruption of gestation before viability of the child." ~ h.j. boldt, m.d. (1906)
For David Calicchio
In the hospital of the orphanage--the boys' division at St Cloud's, Maine--two nurses were in charge of naming the new babies and checking that their little penises were healing from the obligatory circumcision.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345387651, Mass Market Paperback)

"AN OLD-FASHIONED, BIG-HEARTED NOVEL . . . with its epic yearning caught in the 19th century, somewhere between Trollope and Twain . . . The rich detail makes for vintage Irving."
--The Boston Sunday Globe

"The Cider House Rules is filled with people to love and to feel for. . . . The characters in John Irving's novel break all the rules, and yet they remain noble and free-spirited. Victims of tragedy, violence, and injustice, their lives seem more interesting and full of thought-provoking dilemmas than the lives of many real people."
--The Houston Post

"John Irving's sixth and best novel . . . He is among the very best storytellers at work today. At the base of Irving's own moral concerns is a rare and lasting regard for human kindness."
--The Philadelphia Inquirer

"Entertaining and affecting . . . John Irving is the most relentlessly inventive writer around. He proliferates colorful incidents and crotchets of character. . . . A truly astounding amount of artistry and ingenuity."
--The San Diego Union

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:38 -0400)

Set in rural Maine in the first half of this century, it tells the story of Dr. Wilbur Larch--obstetrician and director of the orphanage in the town of St. Clouds. It is also the story of his favorite orphan, Homer, who is never adopted.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,842,794 books! | Top bar: Always visible