Lord of Ice by Gaelen Foley

I'm not sure what it is, but trying to read Foley again after years passing has just not been successful for me... I can't stand the writing style or the characters... think I'm just going to delete this and the rest of her books off my kindle for now...
  GoldenDarter | Sep 15, 2016 |
I'm beginning to wonder how much I actually enjoyed The Duke after the next two in the series. This one suffered massively from "skimming" over things, or just plain summarizing pretty huge events. I've come to appreciate, and almost love, how Foley just seems to really embrace the most dramatic tropes possible. But this book suffered so massively from multiple sections just being "summed" up. The entire last 10% of the book is literally just Foley telling us a bunch of stuff that happened, and as a result there's absolutely no emotional impact at the end. None. It was like Foley remembered, "Oh, shit, Napoleon escaped Elba and I'm already at 285 pages."

That being said, at least Damien and Miranda weren't QUITE as Too Stupid To Live as Lucien and Alice, but it would've been a very very close contest. ( )
  dukedukegoose | Jan 26, 2015 |
I continue to love this series. As much as I fell for Lucien I fell harder for Damien. Damien Knight, Earl of Winterley, is a wounded warrior that is in need of someone to listen and understand what he has gone through. War during this time period was gruesome. Swords, guns and cannons and men rushing head long into the field of fire. I can't imagine the carnage that would be present on a battlefield. All the blood and suffering. Plus there was almost no medical help for serious wounds after a battle. Many men died of infection, remember antibiotics had come into being yet. Many others died of blood loss, transfusions also had not come into being yet. I am not surprised that it took so long that PTSD was recognized in war veterans. Damien is definitely an knight in shining armor. He is kind, intelligent, honorable and compassionate. I loved how he tried to protect Miranda.

Miranda FitzHubert is a fiery, independent, and compassionate young woman. She protected those girls younger than her from the abuse of those that were to care and protect them. She is a natural actress and loves the adoration of an audience. However, she also knows that her mother wanted her to enter society and be a Lady. In some ways Miranda is insecure. She has been told all her life that she is no one and never will be. I think though that she is probably the perfect match for Damien. She knows the terrors of losing her parents and trying to fight the abuse of those in charge at her school. She is going to be a great mother and aunt.

This is another of those books that doesn't fit into a mold. While there is some sex it isn't until later in the book and it is brief. There is some action also at the end of the story. We do meet some interesting characters in this story and I have to wonder if they will show up in future books. It was nice to see Robert and Bel; Lucien and Alice; Harry, Lady Jacinda, Miss Carlise, Lord Alec. There are some very funny places in the story and few were you will probably need tissues. This is a wonderful story and I read it in record time. A fine example of the historical romance genre. ( )
  LadyIsis | Aug 20, 2013 |
Good story of military war hero who finds himself the guardian of a young nubile temptress.

http://ktleyed.blogspot.com/2012/04/lord-of-ice-by-gaelen-foley.html ( )
  ktleyed | Apr 24, 2012 |
Miranda falls for her new guardian, a war hero who suffers terrible from post-war trauma. ( )
  francescadefreitas | Aug 4, 2010 |
'Tis bitter cold, and I am sick at heart. ---Shakespeare
To Shauna Summers, my marvelous editor -- Somewhere Maxwell Perkins is smiling. And to all the people behind the scenes at Ballantine, for their hard work and high standards: Thanks.
"Look at you. Drunk again. You are pathetic," Lord Hubert said to his younger brother.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0804119732, Mass Market Paperback)

Celebrated as an extraordinary new talent in romance, Gaelen Foley astounds readers with her vibrant stories of passion and adventure. Now, hot on the heels of her daring Lord of Fire, she spins the powerful tale of a hero tempted by the one woman he is forbidden to love. . . .

Damien Knight, the earl of Winterley, is proud, aloof, and tormented by memories of war. Though living in seclusion, he is named guardian to a fellow officer’s ward. Instead of the young homeless waif he was expecting, however, Miranda FitzHubert is a stunning, passionate beauty who invades his sanctuary and forces him back into society. Struggling to maintain honor and self-control, Damien now faces an even greater threat: desire.

A bold, free spirit, Miranda has witnessed the darkest depths of Damien’s soul–and has seen his desperate need for love. But before she can thaw his unyielding heart, she must endure a terrifying nightmare of her own. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:36 -0400)

Damien Knight, the Earl of Winterley, is proud, aloof, and tormented by memories of war. Though living in seclusion, he is named guardian to a fellow officer's ward. Instead of the young homeless waif he was expecting, however, Miranda FitzHubert is a stunning, passionate beauty who forces him back into society.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,209,225 books! | Top bar: Always visible