American Pastoral by Philip Roth

American Pastoral (original 1997; edition 1998)

by Philip Roth

Member:rajawa
Title:American Pastoral
Authors:Philip Roth
Info:Vintage (1998), Paperback, 432 pages

American Pastoral by Philip Roth (1997)

English (114)  Spanish (5)  Italian (4)  French (2)  Dutch (2)  Catalan (1)  All (128)
422 out of 423 these printed pages are as close to written perfection in a novel as I've ever read. One caution: Do NOT read this if you are in desperate need of something to restore your faith in humanity. ( )
  dele2451 | Jan 28, 2017 |
This one was hard for me. For some reason I really struggled to make it through this book, but once I made my way through I found it to be fantastically heartbreaking.

I am a huge fan of Philip Roth and although I don't always tend to agree with the critics, this is certainly one of his greatest novels. The heartbreak at the center of the American Dream is beautifully rendered here. And Roth's Swede expertly shows us that no amount of refashioning or perfecting one's self can ensure a happy ending. ( )
  SnowcatCradle | Jan 2, 2017 |
Sorry if this is short. I'm no Roth.
Spoiler.
Blah, blah, blah. Mr Perfect has problems, too. ( )
  sbluerock | Nov 5, 2016 |
  TheIdleWoman | Jun 17, 2016 |
Tedious is a good description, uninspired rambling is another. Didn't work in the 1st 10%, 2nd 10% was not any better. And the last chapter ? What is the connection here? ( )
  deldevries | Jan 31, 2016 |

Philip Rothprimary authorall editionscalculated
Drazdauskienė, Rasasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Drazdauskienė, Rasasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pellar, RudolfTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pellarová, LubaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dream when the day is thru, dream and they might come true, things never are as bad as they seem, so dream, dream, dream.
-Johnny Mercer from "Dream," popular song of the 1940s
the rare occurrence of the expected...
-William Carlos Williams, from "At Kenneth Bruke's Place," 1946
To J. G.
The swede.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375701427, Paperback)

Philip Roth's 22nd book takes a life-long view of the American experience in this thoughtful investigation of the century's most divisive and explosive of decades, the '60s. Returning again to the voice of his literary alter ego Nathan Zuckerman, Roth is at the top of his form. His prose is carefully controlled yet always fresh and intellectually subtle as he reconstructs the halcyon days, circa World War II, of Seymour "the Swede" Levov, a high school sports hero and all-around Great Guy who wants nothing more than to live in tranquillity. But as the Swede grows older and America crazier, history sweeps his family inexorably into its grip: His own daughter, Merry, commits an unpardonable act of "protest" against the Vietnam war that ultimately severs the Swede from any hope of happiness, family, or spiritual coherence.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:32 -0400)

An ordinary man finds that his life has been made extraordinary by the catastrophic intrusion of history when, in 1968 his adored daughter plants a bomb that kills a stranger, hurling her father out of the longed-for American pastoral and into the ingenious American berserk.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,644,137 books! | Top bar: Always visible